I have a D&D type idea that I developed here on my computer with an rp style however I know that wouldn't be realistic on an online forum however I believe I may be able to conjure something up that could work. I would like it if it were possible to implement a random number generator into the forum like a random number from 0-10 however the way I'm thinking of this it could be done with a "middle man / game moderator" as long as they weren't a "player".

Basically you pick the type of beast the chief/warlord/colonel "you" want to be and your horde gets a bonus based on that type of beast. You start with a group of workers 1-10 based on a random roll and who can build things and you use these buildings to train hordebeasts or more workers. A grid on the map "which I would design using power point" designed based on the preference of the players would be 100 meters (or paces).

Training - Each cycle / turn you can train between 0-10 beasts at each specific building (depending on the type) based on the random roll. So a Horde Tent / Barracks could train 10 archers in a turn while a Siege Camp / Workshop would require a number that reflects the number of beast required to operate a siege weapon plus the weapon. Example - Catapult - 4 beasts + Catapult = 5. So a catapult would require a total of 5 roll points which could occur in one turn or compound over a few turns.

Details VVV

Groups - Training groups the player can choose the type of beasts that makes up that group for a specific group bonus. IE one group of rats and another of ferrets, the rats have a higher melee attack but lower defense while the ferrets have a higher defense and lower melee attack.

Arming - By default groups would be armed with simple melee weapons however a player could designate them as archers or pikemen, etc as long as they had a equipment tent / armory. Changing the type of beast would require them to be adjacent or inside the armory and would take 1 turn.

Combat - Combat would occur on the 0-10 roll. Basically the player attacks his opponent and rolls a 0-10 which is then multiplied by the number of beasts in the group to get the damage. Then the defender rolls a 0-10 times the number of beasts in their group to get the defense. Now this is further enhanced by material level so both sides are multiplied again by the level of material they have IE (leather and stone) *.5, bronze *1, iron *1.5, and steel *2. If the defense out numbers the offense then the attacker takes damage and vice verse.

Buildings - Building structures would be determined by how difficult it is to assemble the building (get materials and assemble them) so a horde tent would be comparatively easy with a .5 modifier so it would take 5 points on a 0-10 roll to build it in one turn.

Movement - By default each group could move 3 grids or 2 grids and attack each turn (unless it is a siege weapon or a specialized group with a movement bonus or penalty). Siege weapons would move 1 grid a turn or 1 turn setup or 1 attack per turn (once setup unless a mobile weapon).

Terrain - Different terrains would effect the movement and combat statistics IE forest would give a defense bonus and movement penalty unless fighting squirrels which would nullify the defense bonus and give the squirrels an attack bonus and movement bonus. Deserts would slow most types of units but give an attack increase to lizards just as rivers would give a speed increase to otters.

If this is a good idea I can come up with specific statistics which I would post here but if not (shrugs) oh well.
You know this kinda sounds like Civilization in a way ūüė£

A condensed version our chat on this subject!

Gerns [31|Mar 06:13 PM]: But if you'd like a suggestion, might you add some diplomacy, or having like a council of generals or something?
Gerns [31|Mar 06:14 PM]: Players could then team up, possibly?
Belisarius [31|Mar 06:14 PM]: Sure, depending on the number of players.
Belisarius [31|Mar 06:14 PM]: Council what kind of council?
Gerns [31|Mar 06:16 PM]: Like you have some in-game characters that serve as the warlord's council. A head of spies, or the general who reports on troop morale, or the logistics, or the health of the troops
Belisarius [31|Mar 06:16 PM]: O.o this is a forum game not Civilization… I mean how would I do that?
Gerns [31|Mar 06:20 PM]: Well if there was a battle, the game moderator might do an after action report to both players, detailing how triumphant one side is and how crushed the other is, and that would modify how well they fight or move.
Gerns [31|Mar 06:22 PM]: Or if two players were preparing for battle, they might not know necessarily how many troops the other has. So one could PM the moderator RPing out sending spies, and the mod could report with some rough estimates depending on how well the spies do.

(CORE ELEMENTS)

& = Separate addition to statistics
and = addition to same terrain

Leader - Title - Bonus / Penalty

Vole - Chieftain - +2 Defense when adjacent to water / -1 Attack
Mole - Foremole - +2 Defense in open terrain & +2 Mining / -2 Movement when adjacent to water
Shrew - Log a Log - +2 Attack / -1 Defense and  -1 movement in forest
Hedgehog - Chieftain - +2 Defense / -1 Attack & -1 Movement in forest
Mouse - Champion - +4 Defense in open terrain / -1 Movement in forest & -2 attack  in forest
Squirrel - Chieftain - +2 All stats in forest / -2 Attack & -4 defense in open terrain
Otter - Skipper - +2 movement and +3 defense adjacent to water / -2 Movement and -2 attack in forest
Hare - Colonel - +4 movement in open terrain & +2 attack / -4 Defense in forest & -2 defense adjacent to water
Badger - Battlelord - +4 Melee attack & groups equipped instantly / -2 Movement

Tree Rat - Chieftain - +1 Ranged attack & +2 movement in forest / -2 Melee attack & -1 movement in open terrain
Rat - Warlord - +2 Melee attack / -1 Defense & -2 movement in forest
Stoat - Chief - +3 Attack adjacent to water / -2 Movement and -1 attack in forest
Lizard - Chieftain - +3 Attack in Desert / -3 Defense adjacent to water
Ferret - Colonel - +2 Ranged attack & +1 melee defense / -2 Ranged defense & -1 movement adjacent to water
Weasel - Chieftain - +2 Movement / -2 Defense
Ermine - Boss - +2 Melee attack / -2 Ranged defense
Feral Cat - Boss - +2 Defense & +1 movement in open terrain / -2 Attack in forest & -2 movement adjacent to water
Wild Cat - Warlord - +2 Melee attack & +2 melee defense / -2 All stats when adjacent to water & -2 ranged stats
Fox - Leader - +1 Attack & +3 movement in open terrain / -3 Melee defense & *2 production (cost and time)
White Fox - Chief - +3 All stats in snowy regions / -3 ranged defense & *4 food cost & -3 all stats in desert
Monitor - Warlord - +4 Melee attack & +2 defense & +2 all stats in desert / -2 Movement & -4 ranged attack in forest
Wolverine - Overlord - +5 Melee attack & double training speed / -2 Movement & -2 defense & -2 ranged attack
Wolf - Colonel - +3 Attack & +2 Movement in open terrain / -2 Movement in forest & -4 defense in open terrain

(Groups with specific types of beasts will ignore the benefits of their leader and gain the benefits of their type listed here.)
Maximum group size will be 40 with 2 groups capable of being in the same tile at any time.

Material - Modifier
bark cloth and stone - *.5
Copper - *1
Bronze - *1.5
Iron - *1.5
Steel - *2
Advanced Steel - *2.5

Group Class - Equipment - Range
Melee - Swords / Maces / Flails / Axes - Same Tile (0)
Long Melee - Spears / Pikes / Halberds / Pitchforks / Tridents / Throwing Axes -  Adjacent Tile (1)
Archer - Slings / Short Bows / Compound Bows / Crossbows - 1-3
Heavy Archer - Longbow / Arbalest - 1-5

Siege Weapon - Movement - Crew Size - Damage - Range - Group Garrison Capacity - Modifiers
Name                  -M  -CS  -D    -R  -GGC  -M
Siege Tower -      2    10    0    0    4      Allow groups to mount walls / groups inside get +5 ranged defense
Light Ballista -    3    2      4    1-4    0    Setting up doesn't take up turn
Medium Ballista - 2    3      6    1-6    0    +2 Ranged defense
Heavy Ballista -  2    4      8    1-7  0    +2 Ranged defense
Siege Ballista -    1    5    10  1-7  0    Can fire 3 times
Stone Thrower -  1    6      6    1-4    0    Primitive = .5 training time
Small Catapult -  2    4    2
3  1-3    0    Fires 3 rounds = can hit three hordebeasts
Catapult          -  2    6    34  1-5    0    Fires 4 rounds = can hit four hordebeasts
Heavy Catapult -  1  8    5
4  2-7    0    Fires 4 rounds = can hit four hordebeasts
Trebuchet        -  1  10    20  3-10  0    2 Turn setup

Siege weapons with movement less than 3 cannot enter forests without a path and those that can receive 1 movement per turn while in forest.

Buildings
Type 1 / Type 2 - Action
Horde Tent / Barracks - Trains infantry
Equipment Tenet / Armory - Allows units to be armed with different equipment instead of default melee weapons
Siege Camp / Workshop - Builds siege weapons
Loot Tent / Storage House - Stores gathered materials - Food / Wood/ Stone / Wealth / Iron / Copper / Tin
Mining Hole / Mining Camp - Mine that proceeds vertically to tap more materials than is on the surface
Orchard - Artificial way of producing food / doesn't need replanted / take long time to grow at first
Farm - Artificial way of producing food / needs replanted / grows quickly

(Above) Buildings resist 20 damage.

Palisade Wall - Wooden wall that resists 20 damage
Wooden Tower - Wooden tower for archers that holds 2 groups and resists 30 damage
Wooden Gate - Wooden gate that resists 14 damage
Gate - Common gate that resists 35 damage
Stone Wall - Standard stone wall that resists 80 damage
Tower - Stone tower for archers that holds 2 groups and resists 120 damage
Heavy Stone Wall - Large stone wall that resists 140 damage
Siege Tower - Stone tower for archers that holds 4 groups or 2 and a siege weapon while resisting 200 damage
Slanted Stone Wall - Bulky stone wall that can't be mounted by siege towers and resists 150 damage
Fortress Gate - Battle gate that resists 80 damage
Fortress Tower - Large tower for 5 groups or 2 and 2 siege weapons, resists 250 damage

Resources
Food
Wood
Stone
Tin
Copper
Iron
Coal
Wealth - Silver / Gold / Gems / Jewelry

Production (0 to 10 roll per building)
Costs
Horde Tent / Barracks - 300 Wood or 150 Stone - Points to build : 40
Equipment Tenet / Armory - 450 Wood / 300 Stone - Points to build : 80
Siege Camp / Workshop - 750 Wood / 500 Stone - Points to build :  80
Loot Tent / Storage House - 250 Wood - Points to build : 40
Mining Hole / Mining Camp - 450 Wood - Points to build : 200
Orchard - 250 Wood - Points to build : 100
Farm - 25 Food / 5 Wood - Points to build : 20
Palisade Wall - 80 Wood - Points to build : 10
Wooden Tower - 240 Wood - Points to build : 20
Wooden Gate - 140 Wood - Points to build : 20
Gate - 200 Wood / 300 Stone / 10 Iron - Points to build : 80
Stone Wall - 20 Wood / 240 Stone - Points to build : 60
Tower - 120 Wood / 600 Stone - Points to build : 80
Heavy Stone Wall - 400 Stone / 10 Iron - Points to build : 100
Siege Tower - 200 Wood / 850 Stone / 10 Iron - Points to build : 100
Slanted Stone Wall - 1050 Stone / 25 Iron - Points to build : 150
Fortress Gate - 1250 Stone / 30 Iron - Points to build : 150
Fortress Tower - 2500 Stone / 50 Iron - Points to build : 150

Infantry / Worker - 20 Food / 10 Wealth - Points to build : 1

Melee Equipment
Long Melee
Archer
Heavy Archer
                                  VVV
bark cloth and stone - 20 Wood / 5 Stone / 5 Wealth
Copper - 30 Copper / 25 Wealth
Bronze - 25 Copper / 5 Tin / 50 Wealth
Iron - 30 Iron / 40 Wealth
Steel -  50 Iron / 25 Coal / 75 Wealth
Advanced Steel - 25 Wood / 100 Iron / 50 Coal / 150 Wealth

Siege Tower -      200 Wood / 4 Iron / 200 Wealth - Points to build : 11
Light Ballista -    75 Wood / 80 Iron / 50 Wealth - Points to build : 3
Medium Ballista - 125 Wood / 100 Iron / 75 Wealth - Points to build : 4
Heavy Ballista -  125 Wood / 120 Iron / 75 Coal / 350 Wealth - Points to build : 5
Siege Ballista -    100 Wood / 350 Iron / 150 Coal / 750 Wealth - Points to build : 6
Stone Thrower -  180 Wood / 20 Wealth - Points to build : 7
Small Catapult -  220 Wood / 80 Wealth - Points to build : 5
Catapult          -  300 Wood / 200 Iron / 120 Wealth - Points to build : 7
Heavy Catapult -  450 Wood / 400 Iron / 200 Wealth - Points to build : 9
Trebuchet        -  750 Wood / 750 Iron / 325 Coal / 750 Wealth - Points to build : 11

Each hordebeast cost 1 additional food per turn.

Harvesting - Points per turn per worker - Resource - Class
Tree - (0-10)*2 - Wood - Finite
Wild fruit trees - (0-10)*2 - Food - Infinite
Wild berry bushes - 0-10 - Food - Infinite
Wild vegetables - (0-10)+5 - Food - Finite
Ore deposit - (0-10) - Depends on ore - Finite
Quarry - (0-10) - Stone - Infinite
Mining Hole / Mining Camp - ((0-10)+5)5 - Depends on adjacent deposit - Finite5
Orchard - ((0-10)+5)*2 - Infinite
Farm - ((0-10)+2)*5 - Finite

Calculations

Melee Attack = Roll (0-10)(Number of beasts in group)(Material Level) + (Modifiers)
Melee Defense = Roll (0-10)(Number of beasts in group)(Material Level) + (Modifiers)
If (Melee Defense > Melee Attack) Melee Attackers take losses equal to damage divided by their Material Level (else) Melee Defenders take losses equal to damage divided by their Material Level

Ranged Attack = Roll (0-10)(Number of beasts in group)(Material Level) + (Modifiers)
Ranged Defense = Roll (0-10)(Number of beasts in group)(Material Level) + (Modifiers)
If (Ranged Defense > Ranged Attack) Ranged Defenders take no losses (else) Ranged Defenders take losses equal to damage divided by their Material Level damage

Defense vs. Siege Attack = Roll (0-10)*(Material Level) + (Modifiers)
If (Siege Attack > Individual Ranged Defense) The individual hit in that group is lost (else) siege round is dodged

Terrain Movement Penalties (If the group is general or of a race that doesn't receive a movement bonus from the given type of terrain)
Minimum movement of infantry is 1.

I volunteer for testing this idea out, when it gets to that stage! This already looks quite exciting.

This is the Beta map that I have assembled, it feels rather small. I will post the terrain key in the next post.

Updated map moving it to bottom of post.

Incomplete key map for the game, this will be updated as I add terrains and different sized deposits. (This key is mostly out of date)

I would like to try this too, if that is fine.

That's great! You and Gerns could test it out.

I need to finish a few things first but do you want to use the map above or have me create another one. What types of terrains would you like?
Also need you to tell me what side of the map you want to start on, that can wait though.

Any recommendations on other races to possibly add?

I think there's quite a variety of terrains and races. I am most curious about testing the wolverine at the moment, since he gets the training speed and melee advantage at the cost of speed, defence and ranged. It sounds like that would encourage a Napoleonic style of strategy, almost! I am also interested to have a run of the game trying the exact opposite strategy, trying to 'turtle' and see how resilient being defensive with structures is. What exactly are the victory conditions, at the moment? Total annihilation of the other side?

I'd go for the eastern side of the map for my start, the hills east of the swamp look good for proximity to resources in particular.

I haven't made keys for the siege weapons at this time and am thinking of how to go about that, I have an idea though.
Well at this time… Hmmm how to say this without sounding authoritarian.

Players can agree on alliances. If only 2 players match ends.
Victory Condition & Game Type 1 - Total annihilation. - All opposing forces are destroyed.

Victory Condition & Game Type 2 - Regicide - Players have their chosen leader placed on the map with their workers. The death of this individual defeats the player and their forces join the player that defeated them. Leader units receive equal points to a full horde and can be reequipped like regular hordes while default material level is iron.

Victory Condition & Game Type 3 - Bloodlines - Same as Regicide however players can train siblings to their leader which have the strength of half a horde and must be defeated as well to defeat the player. Siblings require 250 points to train.

Victory Condition & Game Type 4 - Spoils of War - A chest of loot (not in the key) will be placed on the map and turned to full transparency until a player finds it at which point the player that maintains a unit on the tile for 25 turns wins. If all opposing players are defeated match ends.

Victory Condition & Game Type 5 - Barbarism (Coop advised) - Moderator of the match will spawn 0-10 npc hordes each turn to unleash on all players and will roll 0-10 again for each horde spawned to determine their type. Barbarians start on turn 25 and end on turn 125. Purple Siege Camps will indicate barbarian spawn directions.
0-1 Melee
2 Long Melee
3 Archer
4 Heavy Archer
5 Stone Thrower
6 Medium Ballista
7 Heavy Ballista
8 Catapult
9 Heavy Catapult
10 Trebuchet

I will take the hares and I want to start between the wild vegetables and the iron ore at the edge of the scrub land.

Updated map. Used GIMP 2.8 instead of MS Power Point.

Views