Call me stupid, but I want to see what is keeping people from posting…

We have TONS of activity. But no interest in posting. People swamp onto the site in groups, almost, but nobody is actually here to put anything up. What gives?

I will say, the entire profile thing for your character is most unnessisary in most circumstances, especially on characters that you are only pursuing one thread with... Granted, if it is a character that you wish to post with alot, then put one up. Unless that is the case, don't be afraid of using a character to just jump into a thread. Create a name on the spot! Pick an Animal! Pick an emotion!!! And GO POST.

What says you guys?

I say we all start getting to work on an official plot for the forum. I know we were starting one before, but that died out after a few months. I really want to be engaged in a main storyline. I'm apart of two other threads, but they are only inactive because me and the other posters are brainstorming and sorting things out to continue those threads on. I, for the most part, have been keeping track of everything with the others through PMing.

I have two characters who are open for RPing in threads since the main three are already occupied in other threads. I'll just have to read through some of the open threads and see if I can put my last two in any of them. 😄

I will be using all five of my characters in the main story when that time comes though.

I agree that a main story sounds like a good idea, but we need an interesting enough plotline to keep people posting. I don't want to get involved, get a few days of posting in, then go "this is boring, I'm gone". What we need, is a plan, and a good one.

story arch is in the process. Just to let you guys know!

But the problem is, we get a lot of intrest in the begging and then it dies…and no one posts or they just leave and what not...thats the problem.

I've recently had a job upgrade, which = lots of new stuff to learn.  As well, I'm away from home right now on temporary duty with the reserves.  So, lots of "busy" going on and not a lot of time to use my imagination and RP.  That should change in a week or two though.

I'm only in two plots right now, so I would definitely be interested in joining the arc.  I'd like to stay active here at least a bit this summer and having a big RP would definitely help.

What I've noticed is that activity of forums suddenly goes wild when a certain kind of member joins. This is the kind of member who spends lots of times on the forum, starts lots of threads and gets involved in every thread that's available.
    I guess my point is this; Ghandi said "be the change you wish to see in the world." Forum activity is a rare kind of one-man fix. It really can ALMOST be fixed by just one person.
    Another important thing is imagination. Once you've explored something thoroughly, it loses it's appeal. People, when you start threads, try to be inventive. Who us something we've never seen before! Or come up with cool new ways to organize/lead a thread!
    When I first joined the forum, I would see posts of random travelers heading toward Redwall. My first thought was always "OOH OOH! I should join this!" I no longer do that. It no longer feels original. I think most of us are running into that same problem.

Something that I wanted to Explore in my Erased Through Time thread and something that was never clearly explained "as far as I know" is the origins of Castle Kotir. Perhaps a more traditional thread exploring this could be the story arc. I mean perhaps those that originally built it are returning to the area after a dark age or something along those lines. Or perhaps it was originally an outpost to guard a place of treasure. I dunno just throwing out ideas.

EDIT: I was really wanting to join the story arc too, specifically with two of my characters 😣

Something involving Castle Kotir would be interesting, especially since it's under Redwall Abbey. Though to get it, I think it was one of the walls built on it's towers. To get to it, some part of Redwall would have to be taken down or something.
Perhaps a vermin group could break down at least one wall, in a takeover attempt. Maybe even take control for a while and then the original clan of the builders come back like Bel had suggested, and help the woodlanders take back the abbey

I think that's good. Maybe most of the Redwallers escape into Kotir through the cellars or something (secret entrance? Clues/riddles only native Redwallers would get?). I'm not sure it would make sense for the vermin to knock down more than a small portion of the wall.

Also, is writing this reply, I discovered something useless and hilarious. Did it ever bother you that Redwallers hid super important stuff using riddles that anyone could solve? Actually, it DOES make sense; the vermin were all too stupid to understand/solve the riddles. lol of my day.

I tried making an rp that had a riddle (I deleted it due to inactivity), part of the reason it went dead is nobody could figure it out though  😞 … and I forgot the answer.

Lol, forgetting the answer would be a problem. I guess the other thing might be this; in order to solve the riddle, you need to be able to insert all kinds of little clues and details into what the characters are seeing. That makes it hard to write.

I've got a few problems.  My main computer is down,  I'm a slow poster,  The treads I'm in are waiting on other people,  and I don't want to slow down fast treads by joining.

Well if people want to be in the arc thread but are afraid that they aren't going to be able to post on a regular basis perhaps we could add general characters (I would call them npcs but obviously people would be since they have to be posted about) that people could use when they do get the opportunity to post. Aka they're for everyone to use but when people who can't post often are on they can get primary control of these additional characters.

So if there is a member who gets on once a month, but who still wants to RP, he can grab one of these "NPCs?" That's an interesting thought. We would need to keep a running list of those special characters as a 'sticky-post,' and we would need a more applicable name, but I think that's worth adding to the official forum rules. I'll bring it up on Sunday during the Admin meeting.

… Am I stupid in Assuming that people don't want to RP with a character they don't know? Cause it really slows down a site when you only post with characters you have on hand... Because you are now limited to how many threads they can be in...

Alright, I really want to be active and I should have let you all know that I was busy this last week and a half. I was setting up my work + coaching schedule and realize I have tons of free time. I'm ready to post and I really want Bradley in particular to be useful as the Abbey champion.

For the story Arc, is it going on right now? Or are we still coming up with ways to set it up and have it post ready?

There was an arc that was started but it kinda didn't go anywhere. We are planning a new one now though!

Views