[open] Erased Through Time (Mossflower) Act1

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFEAzP1Zm-A)
–2nd week of the tenth Starfall 53E - Librarian Irlano Ventez--
We look to withdraw from the border regions and relocate the majority of our people to the continent of myths in an effort to preserve ourselves from the cycle that has repeated more times than we know. From what we know our ancestors, the mongooses of the Eradaukh Imperium once ruled virtually the entire explored world, only a few regions were outside their control however they had also conquered areas that we have yet to find and explore. Slavery on today’s scale is minute compared to what we believe existed back then, not only were woodlanders slaves to the Imperium but so were vermin beasts. In the eyes of the Eradaukh mongooses were the master beasts and all others were inferior. Despite all the insight we have on our predecessors there is not a single shred of parchment or slate of stone that details what happened to them. All we know is they vanished, possibly to the same fate as their precursors and their predecessors before them. Whatever the case is the Empire will not follow in their tracks, conquering all is not our way. There is something that puzzles me, we are in a way mongooses, a derivative perhaps but still we are basically them. What if the cycle never truly ended, what if they are still around? Ruins still exist from their time and if their feats of engineering have survived time who’s to say they haven’t?

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYXiTN2GCdg&list=PL908F92829C5F08FF&index=2&feature=plpp_video)
--8th week of the fourth Sunrise 54E - Somewhere in Northern Mossflower--
(THE KEY THE KEY TO IT ALL!!!)
It was all he could think of as he bounded through the rain like he was chasing after a gargantuan cake forcing him to grip the stone tablet in his soaked arm even tighter. His tattered green tunic bore the rank of a Long Patrol Captain even though that was a time long past for the hare. Retired and old as he was his find made him move as fast as a new Long Patrol Runner unfettered by the downpour and frequent lightning that cracked through the rain like a harsh whip triggering thunder that made the puddles forming on the ground ripple from the shockwave. The rattle of his monocle hitting against the tablet was drowned out by the rain but it did not drown his thoughts. He could only read a small portion of the tablet that appeared to be written in an ancient language used by ferrets who inhabited the region long before Martin the Warrior, the first badger lord of Salamandastron, or Verdauga Greeneyes but what he had read was a find that only happened once in a generation. He knew what the tablet in his arm could mean and he also knew the only place it would truly be safe was the great mountain, guarded by the badger lord himself, even Redwall might attract too much attention with a find of this value. The rain combined with the howling wind drowned out the sound and by the time the lightning struck again all signs of excitement were gone, as a matter of fact all signs of life were gone! The lightning illuminated the sky in a brilliant spectacle for the blink of an eye revealing that the Long Patrol had lost one of its veteran retirees. The tablet lied in the grass a few pawsteps away from the cooling paw as a string that once held a not shattered monocle rested on a protruding rock. Crimson covered one side of the red sandstone as the hare’s head rested face down in the grass right beside it. Whether the crimson had come to be there because of the stone itself or some external force was not revealing in the brief moment of light.

Reverrek had seen better days. First of all, a tip from a beast he had met on the way to Mossflower had sent him so far off course that he managed to miss the main path completely and nearly drowned in the swamp. Second, it was storming something fierce. The forest canopy did surprisingly little to protect from the storm, and he had yet to find any suitable shelter to wait the storm out under. He was almost unaware he had even come out at a clearing, a rather loud bout of thunder causing him to look up and realize this. That was when he saw the figure of the hare. Though only briefly illuminated by a bolt of lightning streaking across the sky, it was enough to tell Rev that the beast was in trouble. He rushed over to the fallen hare to see if there was anything that could be done, but his fears were all too quickly confirmed; the hare was dead. It was as he sat there, kneeling in the grass and pondering what to do next, that he noticed the tablet. Naturally, he was curious, and was just about to get up and get a good look at it when he felt the presence of a blade at his throat. Letting out an irritated sigh, he turned his head (quite carefully) to get a decent look at the blade's owner. "What do you want?" he said curtly.

“Your food and weapons,” said the owner of the blade, a ferret who leered evilly at the badger.
Meanwhile not far off, Skor Axehound shivered in the rain as he tried to pull his tunic closer but failed.
“I wish I thought to bring a cloak,” he said to himself.  Then he heard what sounded like two creatures talking. When he could see though the trees he saw his friend Reverrek held up by a ferret who seemed to want something. A brief flash of lighting illuminated the ground around and he saw the hare.
Drawing one of his swords, he said to the ferret, “Leave him or I’ll kill you.”

The pouring rain was downright frustrating and while the wind was annoying it didn’t seem so bad to her as it would to other beasts. If anything she blended in better with the random bolts of lightning rather than the darkness being a white vixen. Nova blinked constantly in the river falling from the sky as she made her way in the direction of two forms she had spotted in the previous flash of lightning. It was more than likely that they had spotted her in the darkness, Nova knew this but the glint of steel that she had caught in the moment of brilliant light had drawn her attention and she wasn’t about to walk away. She made no attempt to hide, it would have been rather fruitless anyways with her lack of camouflaging fur, instead she walked out in the open right towards the pair of beasts “Who is it I speak to and what is the intention with your blades?”
Being closer she now heard a third beast speak from the darkness [“Leave him or I’ll kill you.”]
Nova’s heavily drooped whiskers twitched feebly as water droplets clung to them while she spoke under her breath “Well three’s a crowd so what’s four?”

[“Who is it I speak to and what is the intention with your blades?”]
Reverrek looked to his right to find the owner of the voice and quickly noticed the white vixen. Though caught a bit off guard by the sudden appearance, he was about to respond when Skor spoke up:
["Leave him or I'll kill you."]
Skor Axehound was the very last beast Rev had expected to run into that day, and had to turn his head and look at the otter before believing that it was actually him. The two had met before, but the circumstances in which they had last seen each other didn't exactly give Rev a whole lot of hope that they would see each other again. His thankfulness that his friend had been there at all, however, outshone his disbelief. He turned his head back towards the vixen. "Well, I'm not really in much of a position to do a whole lot of speaking, but I'm sure Skor and my ferret chum here would be glad to," he replied, giving a (careful) nod towards the others.

“Drop your blade, ferret,” said Skor, while walking closer to his friend. “Or you could meet me in single combat your blade against mine,” he said, as the thought came to him.
[“Well three’s a crowd so what’s four?”]  A white vixen, whom Skor had just seen, spoke quietly.
“I don’t know, a hoard, maybe,” said Skor.

["Well, I'm not really in much of a position to do a whole lot of speaking, but I'm sure Skor and my ferret chum here would be glad to,"]
Nova snorted sending a cloud of steam into the wet air “Ferret, I suggest you leave before I invite you over to be dinner, I like to play with my food before I eat it.”
In all actuality the idea of eating another beast besides a fish was actually quite revolting to her despite her background; it was something that seemed to have been burrowed into her personality. She drew a darkened blade halfway from its scabbard “I don’t need to take you in one piece by the way; I can make a couple trips.”
[“I don’t know, a hoard, maybe,”]
Nova flinched the drooping whiskers on the left side of her snout “Hoard, well a merry lot of angry vermin aren’t we then?”

OOC: I might add it to her profile but Nova has a tendency to try and be intimidating with words rather than blades. Mostly to try and avoid injury.

OOC: I've been trying to think of what to post and whatever I come up with is basically just a rehashed version of my last post so I'm just going to go ahead and skip my turn this time. Lead on, Skor.

The ferret looked at Skor and the black vixen as if trying to size up which one would be more dangerous.  He decided on Skor when he heard what the vixen said.
He turned towards Skor, lifting his sword from Reverrek’s throat, and said,“ You’re going to regret this, otter, I accept.”
“I don’t think so,” said Skor, drawing his other sword and crouching.
The ferret charged swinging his sword wildly.  Skor caught the first blow on one of his swords and returned the blow with his other one, killing the ferret in one stroke.  He turned to the vixen and said, “What is your name, vixen?”

OOC: LOL black vixen, Nova’s a white vixen.
BIC: Nova watched the scuffle that ended almost as soon as it started taking note of how Skor used two swords, one for each paw.
[“What is your name, vixen?”]
Nova snorted sending mist out into the air from her breath “Name’s Nova, what’s your name sea otter?” she folded her arms and tapped at her right elbow as she continued “Of course I suppose it might be easier to talk in some cover from this dreaded downpour.”
She cringed as a drop landed in one of her eyes “Hmph… what’s your name stripedo… badger sir?”

OOC: Heh, stripedog, Rev's a honey badger.
BIC: [“Of course I suppose it might be easier to talk in some cover from this dreaded downpour.”]
"I'd say so."
[“Hmph… what’s your name stripedo… badger sir?”]
"Oh, name's Reverrek. Rev, if you like. We should find some cover soon, but first we need to take care of this…" he gestured with his hands as he struggled to find a fitting word, "mess. What do you lot do with your dead around these parts? And then there's the matter of this tablet." He picked up the tablet before continuing, looking back at the hare, "...However, we should probably get that taken care of first before we worry about this tablet."

“My name is Skor. Skor Axehound,” Skor said.  “Do either of you know what happened here? This tablet looks to be important, especially if an old Long Patrol captain was taking it somewhere.
“Let’s put some rocks on top of the captain,” said Skor. “Then let’s get back into the trees to talk.”

OOC: Sorry if it comes across as rude but I'm trying to play Nova's "unstable" personality a little.

BIC: Nova snorted as she looked at the deceased hare in front of them “Bury him… out here? Don’t you think the Long Patrol would want bury their Captain rather than leaving him in the middle of nowhere to rot in his own stone oven?”

She cringed slightly but not from the rain but rather her own words “Agh, what I mean is don’t you think someone’s going to want to give him an honorable burial? Besides, there could e something else on him relating to the tablet.”

OOC: I don't mind. It's in character, isn't it?  😉

BIC: ["Don’t you think the Long Patrol would want bury their Captain rather than leaving him in the middle of nowhere to rot in his own stone oven? Agh, what I mean is don’t you think someone’s going to want to give him an honorable burial? Besides, there could be something else on him relating to the tablet."]
Rev turned to Skor, "I've got a feeling she's right, mate."
The badger took another look at the hare. "Do you think somebeast at Redwall would know how to get in contact with the Long Patrol? I don't fancy logging around a dead beast for what looks like a day and a half."
Reverrek bent over and fished through the Captain's pockets for anything relating to the tablet. He found a scrap of paper with some writing on it. He quickly put it into his own pocket, not wanting the rain to ruin the only thing that could shed any light on the situation. He stood back up and looked up at the sky. "This rain is a menace."

ooc: I'm sorry that i haven't posted.  I can't think of anything for me to post so Bel can post next

["Do you think somebeast at Redwall would know how to get in contact with the Long Patrol? I don't fancy logging around a dead beast for what looks like a day and a half."]
Nova glanced at the body for a moment as she considered Reverrek’s point. She imagined lugging the damp hare around in the warm daytime and cringed “Ugh, just thinking of the smell makes me want to gag… and we’re supposed to enjoy that?”
She turned her attention back to Reverrek and nodded thoroughly though she spoke a little too fast for her tongue to keep up with her thoughts “Yeahhhh thatmightbeagoodideatocheckandsee.”
Nova watched as he took a small piece of paper from the hare’s pocket and stuff it into his own apparel out of sight. She opened her mouth to inquire about the find however she was beaten to speaking by the badger ["This rain is a menace."]
The vixen tensed her left lips making a quizzical expression, of course you wouldn’t leave something like that out in the rain. Even as the thought ran through her head she answered Reverrek in a rather blunt yet sarcastic tone of speech “Ya don’t say.”

Reverrek took a moment to reflect on the day's events so far. He had gone from being completely lost and almost drowning in a swamp to having two dead beasts on his hands and finding himself in the company of an old friend and an unexpected acquaintance. Not to mention the larger mystery of the tablet and its importance. 'Stranger things have happened, I suppose,' he thought to himself.

"I'm assumin' this tablet must be mighty important, if its enough to have a beast killed over." Reverrek looked up again at Skor and Nova. "It'd probably be best if one of us stayed behind to keep watch over it. I don't mind stayin' if neither of you wants to."

OOC: and with that, I make a return after three-million years of not being here. 😃

?I?ll stay,? said Skor.  ?But you may want to take the tablet with you and leave it at Redwall, for safe keeping. Possibly one of the Brothers or Sisters may be able to tell what it is for, I don?t know though, I have never actually been there, but all the stories say that they are very knowledgeable about this sort of thing.? Secretly, Skor was wondering why someone had killed an old hare, and left the tablet lying around. He was sure that the others were thinking the same thing.

OOC: I think the coding's glitched again all the commas are showing as question marks.

BIC: ["I'll stay,? said Skor.  ?But you may want to take the tablet with you and leave it at Redwall, for safe keeping. Possibly one of the Brothers or Sisters may be able to tell what it is for, I don't know though, I have never actually been there, but all the stories say that they are very knowledgeable about this sort of thing."]
Nova glanced at the motionless hare for a moment then grunted "Skor's right, no need for anybeast stick around here when we can just take the tablet with us. Might as well make a temporary burial for him so nothing gets at him. Need to leave a marker for whoever comes to gather his remains though."
The white vixen thought on Skor's idea of taking the tablet to Redwall for inspection and gave a light shrug "Don't see how it could hurt to let them have a look at it, so long as it's not out here in this!"
She opened her arms indicating the pouring rain before turning back to Skor and Reverrek "Question is who wants to carry a giant stone tablet around? It already fell to the ground once, don't want to find out if it falls again and it ain't exactly light."

OOC- Noticed. I'll bring it up with RL.

Funny, it only seems to be happening in this thread.

Views