OOC:

Okay, first things first. This thread does take place in Eselbrador, but it is not canon. What I mean is, the events of this thread do not affect the overarching history of either our characters or our world. I'm making it this way because Pen has a massive phobia of leaving the palace complex, and would therefore be unable to take the class on fieldtrips and such otherwise, and because none of you, right now, know what you're doing with magic, or at least you have little training, so I'm hoping to see some city sized craters people! 😉 So with that out of the way now, I'd like you all to sit down, shut up, spit out that gum, and pay attention. Class is in session, b*tch. 😎

BIC:

Pentus shoved his way through the bustling market place. He'd arranged to use the small stage next to the fish seller's stall but was having a Hell of a time getting there through the thronging masses of shoppers and hokkers. Well, not exactly arranged. More like he'd forged the king's signature on a fake decree and demanded its use.

Another few minutes of wading through the crowd, smacking a path out of them with his staff, and he finally reached the plain, wooden stage, usually reserved for, well, bards, but they were usually singing something when they used it. Today, Pen had something different in mind. Grabbing the edge of the stage at about shoulder height he heaved himself up, ignoring the stairs a few yards to his left. He dusted himself off as a few people paused their bustle to glance curiously at the new development, and stopped to watch. He stood up straight and planted his staff firmly on the wooden planks of the stage.

He was wearing his usual semi-limp brown leather hat, the wide brim sagging slightly over either ear, but from there down he looked almost… respectable. He really only had one or two items of clothing on besides the hat. A long, blue robe with huge cuffs on the arms and violet lining on the edges covered his arms, legs, and torso, while some soft leather shoes covered his feet, and had in turn gotten covered in black mud from the walk from the palace. In retrospect such fine clothes had been a poor choice, but none-the-less, he was here now, and folks were starting to notice.

To grab their attention he put on his most dashing smile and cast a quick voice enhancing spell on his throat, calling out, "Gather round people! Gather round! Pentus is the name, and while music is officially the game, I'm actually here to teach you something." Some people in the crowd frowned, confused as to why the bard wasn't singing yet, and several of them lost interest and left. "Ingrates," The bard muttered under his breath, then continued, "Yes folks, I have come today to expand your minds, but it's not going to be like the school you've heard about, or anything you've ever learned before. Today, I'm going to teach you about..." Wait for it... "Magic!"

Dawn stood at the back of the crowd. He was wearing a dark robe that made him look like a necromancer. The hood was pulled up, so you only saw his eyes. The villagers made a wide berth around him. He turned at a sound to see himself staring into the eyes of the captain of the guard, who, in all respects, just hated Dawn to the bone. Dawn ran through the crowd to the stage Pentus was on, he slid under before the captain saw him. Dawn saw the captain stop in front of the stage.
Pointing a sword to his guards, he said, "Fan out! I want that man alive!" After that, the captain left, going back through the crowd, his guards searching away from the stage. Dawn slid out and let out a sigh of relief.

Pentus frowned at the shouting guards, placing his hands on his hips and tapping a foot until they were finally dispersed. "Right, where was I again? Aw yes, you all were ignoring me I believe."

Suddenly, a man in a black hood popped out from underneath the stage, making Pen raise an eyebrow, but he suddenly had a moment of inspiration and grinned, pointing squarely at the man with his staff, "You sir! Do you want to learn about magic!?"

OOC: I'm going to use Kariska in this thread, but as it is non-canon, for the purposes of this thread, he will NOT be the Emperor of Zaridia. He'll be a dark magician that Pentus wanted to help him.

BIC: Kariska rolled his eyes at Pentus' theatrics. As he swept through the crowd, they made way for him. His dark clothes, black hair and black eyes screamed dark magician. Kariska hopped up onto the stage and stood next to Pentus. He whispered in an undertone, "I hope you don't intend to teach the unlearned public about magic wholesale. Just pick the few interested and let us go to a remote field. I don't think the King would be pleased with any….accidents that should happen." Kariska's gaze went through the crowd and he announced in a growling, terrible voice, "I am Kariska! Dark Mage! And I will teach you about the Dark Arts! Who will learn from Pentus McBladen and the Dark Mage Kariska?"
Obviously, this announcing dispersed some of the crowd, leaving only a few of the citizens who were still interested.

OOC: I was thinking that those who signed up for the class in the Discussion thread would be the ones who stayed.

Jared Sandeye had heard rumors about the magic class that was going on in Eselbrador, but had not heard enough to know where it was or who was teaching it. He didn’t know much about magic, and had not really cared about it, even when it was obvious that in his family, his mother, Faolis Sandeye, was an Elf sorceress herself. Now that it had been approximately 5 years since her death, and her magic gone with her to the Spirit Plain, Jared blamed himself for his ignorance and stupidity.

Until that one fateful day, on a chilly March 2nd, Jared decided to “spring clean” his house. He detected a faint glow coming from an end table beside the large bed in his parents’ bedroom. When he had opened that end table, he found it: the book, his mother’s Elvish spell-book.

The Faolis Volume.

Jared discovered that the book was written and crafted entirely in the Elves’ language, and with his half-Elvish blood, had been able to translate a very limited number of spells. Although Jared had not actually tried out any spells yet, he had taken it with him everywhere he went, in the hopes of learning more about his mother, about her magical abilities, and the book she harnessed her powers from.

Today, Jared was again perusing the book, attempting to translate some new spells he hasn’t already as he turned the pages. But at the same time he was on his way to the magic class, he had heard would be held in the city streets. As he looked up from the book and found the stage, he saw Pentus McBladen on top of it, dressed in peculiar “mage” regalia and instruments. Jared was actually not surprised to see that Pentus was teaching the class. The blacksmith raised an eye and spied Kariska proclaiming teaching Dark Magic, and another stranger underneath black clothing and a hood. Jared still had some prejudice towards Kariska, due to his mixed blood, and he decided to avoid both him and Dawn.

As Pentus asked the man in black if he wanted to learn magic, Jared quickly closed the book, stuffed it inside his schoolbag, and stepped up as close to the stage as he safely could. Directing his gaze to Pentus, he announced, “Pentus McBladen, sir, I hope you remember me: the blacksmith Jared Sandeye. I would like to learn magic, from you. I…” Here he opened up his bag again and removed the Volume from it, holding it out to him. “I have some magical blood somewhat, but that was only because Faolis Sandeye was an Elf sorceress herself, and I was wondering if it would be possible that some of her abilites were passed on to me.” Could it be possible? There was only one way to find out.

OOC: The reason I saw 5 years is because Jared is already 17 at this point.

Once again, Fen was wandering around the city looking for nothing in particular. He stopped when he noticed Pentus and Kariska standing on top of a wooden stage. Jared was in front of it as well as, he could only assume, Dawn. Fen wondered why they were up there, so he did what every highlander would do, look and find out. He walked up to the stage pushing aside several people on the way. when he was right in front of it he pointed to Kariska, "What's all this about?" he asked. He wouldn't have cared if Kariska wasn't there. But, since he was, Fenral had to find out.

Kariska looked down at Fenrath. "I am the Dark Mage Kariska. I am here to assist Pentus McBladen with his Magick Class." Kariska whirled around and stepped in front of Jared in a way that blocked the crowd from seeing him. He whispered urgently, "Here, lad, stow that book quickly! Pentus will take a look at it, but do not show it here. That's a genuine Elven Spell Book. There are those who would kill for it." Kariska gave Pentus a magic poke, telling him to come over to where he was.

Dawn turned to look at Pentus. His eyes glowed a deep red, and he lifted his staff.
"Why would I, the mighty Yendar, need to learn magic?" he asked the bard, lifting his staff. It appeared to be made of gold, and had a coiling dragon on the end. When Dawn heard Jared, he looked over to see an Elven spell book in his hands. An actual spell book, written by none other than Faolis Sandeye herself. Dawn crept over to stand next to Jared, his staff still pointed at Pentus.

Pentus glanced sidelong at Kariska and sighed, placing his staff back on the stage floor and lifting an eyebrow at his partner. He placed his hands on his hips like a disproving mother, "Seriously? DARK mage? DARK arts? Oh yes, let's terrify the masses in the middle of the capital city. Great idea. As if I hadn't scared them enough." He started stalking around the stage in a circle around Kariska, throwing his arms and voice out in a comic imitation of the dark wizard, "Grrrr! Look at me, I am Kariska the dark! Lord of the dark arts of darkness! Tremble before my dark powers of dark darky darkness, specializing in DARK stuff!!!"

A few of the lingering patrons snickered at the performance, but quickly hurried away when they looked back at Kariska. The entire marketplace was actually half as crowded now due to the wizard-bard and his assistant. Pen tried to smile reassuringly at the remaining people, but gave up as they scurried away. He sighed and dropped his arms. He dropped his head as well to stare dejectedly at his feet, but as he did so he suddenly lifted his eyes again. He'd caught a glimpse of the child Kariska was talking to, and in his hands… Pen's breath caught in his throat as he gasped, making a quiet squeak. Could it truly be an elvish spell book? The mental poke from Kariska confirmed his suspicions and he hurried over, vaulting down off the stage to stand on the other side of the teenage boy.

But unfortunately, Pen had forgotten someone in his haste. He saw the black hooded man and straightened from looking over Jared's shoulder, marveling at the intricate script adorning the book's cover. He tilted the brim of his hat up and raised an eyebrow as Dawn, or 'the Mighty Yendar' as he was calling himself today, glared murderously at him. "Why would I, the mighty Yendar, need to learn magic?"

He moved over to the small, growing group and planted himself beside Jared, looking at the book with the lusting gaze of a thief, and a greedy one at that. Pentus frowned furiously at him. Egotistical men made adequate stage performers, but wizards? The bard had seen men reduced to clouds of vaporized blood and dusted flesh because they thought the Limits of Strength and Mortality didn't apply to them. Then and there Pen knew he had one student at least; whether he wanted to learn or not. While he could stop it no one was going to be vaporizing themselves.

As these thoughts passed through his head a smirk spread across his face, slowly matching Dawn's frown for intensity. Then he turned to Kariska and smiled warmly, "Kariska, my apologies. You are a fantastic wizard and I was wrong to mock you. But look!" He threw an arm around the dark wizard's shoulders and gestured with a look of comic glee on his face, at Dawn, "What are we but leaflets compared to the vast and supreme library-like knowledge of the mighty Yendar!?" He beamed at Yendar, then looked at Kariska, then back at Yendar. Finally, after a pause, he turned back to Kariska and smiled warmly again.

"Turn him into a lizard please, old friend."

He snickered and patted the dark wizard on the back, then hopped over to Jared, shaking hands with him gladly, "Hello again Jared! Good to see you again, and you brought me a present, how nice of you. Ha! But really, you've brought that book to the right man, but cover it up for now." Pen removed his hat and quickly dropped it on top of the exposed volume, hiding it. "And you would be bringing it from…" He prompted gently, leaning in to hear the answer.

There was quite a commotion in the town square that afternoon. The stone roads were hot from the sun as Jeffrey Whindfole rode his horse at a steady pace through the village. He stopped just outside the market place and dismounted. He then strode into the square keeping to the shadows, he wasn't sneaking so to speak he was just keeping to the edge of the crowd. He looked up and saw Pentus climb up onto the stage

"Gather round people! Gather round! Pentus is the name, and while music is officially the game, I'm actually here to teach you something.

Jeff stayed where he was, just leaning against a cool clay wall. Watching and listening.

"Yes folks, I have come today to expand your minds, but it's not going to be like the school you've heard about, or anything you've ever learned before. Today, I'm going to teach you about…" Wait for it... "Magic!"

At that he grinned and rolled his eyes. "He can be quite extravagant sometimes." He said half to himself. There was a commotion at the back of the crowd just then and he looked up to see what it was. Apparently the guards were searching for someone. Sir Jeff stepped forward and confronted the captain.
"Is something the matter captain?" He asked, the captain looked at him for a moment and was just about to spit out a retort when he recognized who it was. He bowed instead and said,
"No sire, we are just chasing down a thief by the name of Dawn, or Yendar as he is often called." Jeff nodded,
"I will take it from here captain call off your guards." The captain looked like he wanted to object but he just nodded and called to the guards who were searching for Dawn.

Once they left Sir Jeff walked quietly up behind Dawn,
"Hiding from someone Dawn?" He said grinning.

Soon the crowds started dispersing, not interested in magic, not learning it anyway. It was then that Jeff found his opportunity. Pentus was standing next to a blacksmith which he knew, it was Jared Sandeye. He came up behind Pentus who was bending over something Jared was holding.
"I would like to learn Magic, Pentus." He said unexpectedly. "If I qualify that is."

”Here, lad, stow that book quickly! Pentus will take a look at it, but do not show it here. That's a genuine Elven Spell Book. There are those who would kill for it."

Jared was surprised to see Kariska blocking him from the immeasurable crowd, and actually talking to him about putting away the Volume, as it was indeed a genuine Elven spell-book and magical instruments were precious and coveted objects, “OK, OK, I’ll put it away!” He exclaimed hastily, stowing the book in the deepest pocket in his school bag and closing the flaps over it.

Then he saw Dawn coming towards him, his magic staff pointed at Pentus. Whatever Dawn wanted with him, he knew it couldn’t be good. But then, Dawn was somewhat of a thief, and the village guards would be looking for him. Either way, Jared would try to protect Dawn as much as he could so he could go about whatever business he had in the village.

Jared noticed that Pentus was eyeing the Volume before he had put it away. He smirked, knowing that it had already been hidden from the legendary mage before he could see it clearly. But then he thought too soon, as Jared suddenly saw Pentus walking right towards him.

"Hello again Jared! Good to see you again, and you brought me a present, how nice of you. Ha! But really, you've brought that book to the right man, but cover it up for now." "And you would be bringing it from…" The teenage blacksmith saw the Bard lean in close to him as if waiting for an answer to his question.

“Er
..” Jared stammered. He didn’t know the best way to put this, but then he figured that honesty was always the best policy. “Er
.I
.I am bringing it from my house, sir; directly from Faolis Sandeye herself. This, Pentus, was actually my mother’s old Elvish spell-book.” Jared decided not to take it out again, for fear that either Pentus or someone in the crowd would try to take it from him. Kariska had been right: the Faolis Volume was a pure Elven spell-book, and special magical instruments were extremely precious and valuable, so Jared did his best to keep it to himself.

“Pentus McBladen, as I said before, I would like to learn magic in your class
..that is, if I qualify, sir.”

"I am the Dark Mage Kariska. I am here to assist Pentus McBladen with his Magic Class." Kariska answered Fenral. "Magic? Well I, like all highlanders, know a few spells." Fen stated. This was true, no one knew how Highlanders got there magic abilities. All they knew was that they had them. Each highlander had special spells for there profession. Fen had some simple attack spells. Although Valendrun increased that ability by an untold amount, he couldn't do more than a few simple spells. He desperately wanted to learn more. Fen jumped up onto the stage, "Right, where do I sign up?" He inquired.

OOC: I probably didn't make this clear enough so my bad. Anyway, as this thread doesn't affect the kingdom, I don't have to have Kariska as the Emperor. So, as this is Dark Mage Kariska, meaning this is an entirely new one, act as if you haven't met him before. Except Pentus, as he is the one who "requested" I be there to assist him in teaching. Also, he's not psychic in this thread.

BIC: Kariska shook his head at Jared. "We won't take it from you, lad. We just want to protect something so valuable. Only those of Elven blood can use Elvish spells….excepting the....well...nevermind. However, there are still those who would steal it, merely because it's old and and something of the Elves." Kariska turned to Pentus. "I'd love to turn our friend here to a lizard, but I don't want to scare off our students. Hmmm...speaking of which, shall we get this show on the road?" He called over to Fenral. "No need to sign up! Just follow us!"

Dawn stared in surprise at the dark mage. He didn't expect to not be turned into a toad.
"Hiding from someone Dawn?" Dawn put his hands up but didn't turn to see who it was he was talking to. "I swear! Those people were indead when I found them! I had nothing to do with it! You can't kill me anyway, I'm part of the royal guard." Dawn turned and nearly jumped when he saw who he was talking to.
"I didn't say anything about raising the dead, you can't kill me, I'll do it myself!" Dawn said quickly, removing his hood. "Although, I would like to learn magic."

"It's not a matter of qualifying son, it all depends on how willing you are to break your body and mind so we might build them up again the stronger and wiser." Pen nodded respectfully after a second, "And if that really was your mother's book… I know how much your parents meant to you. No one will touch the book unless you allow it. You have my promise."

Pen turned to return to the stage when he was flagged by Sir Jeff. "I would like to learn Magic, Pentus." He said unexpectedly. "If I qualify that is."

The bard smiled and clapped his hands, "Fantastic! My day just keeps getting better! Follow me!" He walked into the middle of the gathered magic enthusiasts and raised his hands high in the air, "Right! Now then, everyone look over here, that's right. Stop talking for a moment and pay attention to the man with the staff." He waited for everyone to turn and face him, arms still raised high to get their attention. He heard his partner reply to his earlier request and grinned. "Where is your sense of wonder Kari? Have you become so senile? I very much intend to scare them! Hold still, for your own sake don't move, and when the side effects hit you try not to hit anyone near you!" He shouted, then brought his staff down sharply on the ground, shouting, "Abscissique acide!"

Each of the prospective students, as well as the two teachers, flashed intensely, both the air and their eyes filling with a bright like and a loud pop, and suddenly they were standing on a low hill several miles outside the city, which was barely visible to the Northeast. In every other direction, nothing but grass stretched all the way to the horizon.

Pen stumbled around for a moment after they arrived and his face turned bright green as his eyes began to water. He groaned loudly, then spun around, doubled over, and unceremoniously emptied his stomach. "Blargh! Hack, cough Oh gods, I hate that spell."

Kariska arched an eyebrow at Pentus and shook his head. He pulled a spellbook  out of thin air and said, "Pentus, I do believe you could've used a better spell. That one tends to nauseate the user. The spell, Aferindum Akeris, bends time and space around you, negating the nauseating effect of traveling through time that Abscissique Acide tends to give." He clapped the spell book shut and tossed it behind him, where it vanished on impact with the ground in a puff of dust. Kariska clasped his hands behind his back and looked at Pen. "As this is your class, where do you want to start? Simple levitation spells or with simple attack spells? I believe in simplicity so I suggest we start with levitation. It's one of the simpler spell types as it only requires the term, Aierus, and the noun, per se, Aierus Leafis." Kariska pointed at the ground and a leaf rose to his palm and floated in the air before he let it fall.

"It's not a matter of qualifying son, it all depends on how willing you are to break your body and mind so we might build them up again the stronger and wiser." "And if that really was your mother's book… I know how much your parents meant to you. No one will touch the book unless you allow it. You have my promise."

Jared wasn’t planning to break his mind and body just to let magic enrich his mind. But he knew he would do whatever he had to so he could learn magic and unlock the secrets of the Faolis Volume. Then again, he couldn’t unlock the secrets of the book, so like Pentus said, he would not let anyone to touch or handle the book without his consent.

Whatever Jared had been expecting to begin the magic class, it definitely wasn’t Pentus had done next: “Hold still, for your own sake don't move, and when the side effects hit you try not to hit anyone near you!" "Abscissique acide!"

What the heck? Wait, what’s going on? I wasn’t ready! As Jared flew almost motionlessly through the blinding light, he could feel heavy gravity pressing on him from all sides. Jared held his school-bag and spell-book as close to him as he could, and as him and his fellow students landed on the random hill, he fell backwards and felt the glasses fall off of his face. He rolled a foot away in the opposite direction from his class, and finally stopped as he grabbed a tall and strong tuft of grass. Jared grabbed his belongings, stood up, and rejoined the group. “Glad that’s over,” he thought to himself. Unlike Pen, he did not feel as nauseated as Kariska had suggested.

"As this is your class, where do you want to start? Simple levitation spells or with simple attack spells? I believe in simplicity so I suggest we start with levitation. It's one of the simpler spell types as it only requires the term, Aierus, and the noun, per se, Aierus Leafis."

“Starting already? Wait for me!” Jared rushed to Kariska’s side while he searched the grass for his glasses. “Has anyone seen my glasses? I think….I think I could, er…‘demonstrate’ a spell if I can just find my damn glasses ……has anyone seen them?” Jared finally did find them, put them on, and searched for the Volume inside his school-bag. He opened it up and began turning the pages. “Like I said, I could demonstrate some spells I’ve learned from the book…….if that’s all right, of course.” He added, looking straight at Pen.

"Hold still, for your own sake don't move, and when the side effects hit you try not to hit anyone near you!" "Abscissique acide!" Dawn was suddenly enveloped by a bright light. When the light receded, Dawn found himself on top of a hill. He had to blink alot to recover his vision. When he was done, Kariska was talking. "As this is your class, where do you want to start? Simple levitation spells or with simple attack spells? I believe in simplicity so I suggest we start with levitation. It's one of the simpler spell types as it only requires the term, Aierus, and the noun, per se, Aierus Leafis." Dawn stepped forward, bringing up his staff. "Yes, such spells are a good way to start the class, such as," Dawn pointed his staff at Pentus, "Aierus Pentus!" Dawn lifted his staff, along with Pentus.

Pen shook his head and stood up, "Ugh. Yes, yes Kari. I'm quite aware that there are better spells. I just wanted to get us here quickly and not draw any more attention, of the angry guard type, eh Dawn?" He said, pointedly looking at Dawn. He placed his hands on the small of his back and hurled himself back, cracking his back with several loud pops, "Oh yeah, that's the stuff! Uhh… Besides, you know I don't use spirit magic unless it's an emergency, or if the alternative is just plain ludicrous."

He looked over at Jared and cupped his chin in his hand, "Hmm, a demonstration would be a good way to start I suppose, but I think we'll start with the bare bones. The principles behind magic. It's dangerous to just jump right in y'know. Once I'm finished though we'll have a look at what you can do and- what in the name of Myra?" He looked down casually to find himself floating a good three feet above everyone's heads.

He looked around, admiring the view but also zeroing in on the culprit of this childish prank. Well wouldn't you know it. Mr. Uppity Mage-pants himself. He glared at Dawn, then glanced back at Jared, "Sorry Jared but I'm gonna have to make your demonstration event number three actually. Before anything else I'd like to show you all what a real wizard can do!" He raised his voice so he could be heard by everyone, "Now! This is a dual effect spell, small potatoes for a master or even a mid-level wizard, but not something I'll be letting you try for a few weeks. However, the second effect this spell will cause makes it a master level spell that most have difficulty with it's so hard to control. Let's get to it then," He cracked his knuckles and grinned from up in the air down at Dawn, "The first effect of this spell is simply a run-of-the-mill transformation. It's the second effect that makes this particular combination both feared and outlawed in three kingdoms." He pointed his staff straight at Dawn and intoned, "Murum qui de scuta cor et anima exile veneficus!"

The spell holding Pen in the air suddenly gave out and he fell ten feet to land heavily on the grass. When he looked at Dawn though, it seemed as if Pen was flying into the air. Dawn was getting smaller and smaller, thankfully his clothes were too, until the shrinking finally stopped, with Dawn half a foot tall in a forest of ten foot tall grass blades. Pen smugly walked over and placed his hands on his hips, looking down at Dawn like mountain, "Well Mr. Yendar, not so big now are we?" snicker He knelt down and picked up the wizard by the collar of his shirt, bringing him to face level, "Oh, and don't try any spells. I've blocked you off from all forms of magic until I'm sure you won't kill yourself or those around you. As for the shrinking… well, I just think it's funny. Here, you can ride on my shoulder," He plopped Dawn down so he was sitting with his legs dangling off the edge of Pen's right shoulder. "Aw, isn't he just adorable. And don't worry. The shrinking will wear off gradually. By tomorrow, you should be back to full height... give or take a foot. Right! Let's get started!"

(OOC: Just to be clear, yes I did just pull a God-mode, but that's only because I really want a pet Dawn to ride around on my shoulder like a parrot. And being the teacher of this class, I am obligated to punish rambunctious students.)

Kariska watched Dawn make his spell and snickered to himself. Pentus would be sure to have a nice comeback. He did not disappoint. It surprised him somewhat that Pen would use that spell for something on a student, but well….this was Pen, and Pen will have his pet quirks on punishments. His punishments wouldn't be so light-handed. Right, let's get started! Kariska stepped back and clasped his hands behind his back. He was a teacher, but this was Pen's idea. Pen would explain the principles of Light Magic, and he the Dark. But Pen would have to go first, as he was the main teacher.

Views