OOC: This takes place a good bit before whenever the "present" is here.

BIC: As with any new job, the first day is always one of the most important days of the job in question. It's the day where one familiarizes themselves with their job and where they'll be working. More often than not, it is looked upon as a day of dread, a day where everything that can possibly go wrong does. Yet others look upon it as a day of beginnings, of fresh starts and new challenges to overcome. But, no matter the attitude, one thing seems to remain constant in all accounts: it is one heck of a day. Now while I can't say much, I can say that Abernathy Babblebrook was in for one such day.

~

Abernathy was standing in front of the Gatehouse door, eager to get his belongings inside and everything situated. He tried the door, only to discover that it had been locked. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, except that Abe hadn't been given the key yet. "You lot do this on purpose, I swear." he muttered. He pulled out his trusty lock pick and began working the lock. After a few seconds, it gave a satisfying click, allowing the young otter entrance. He stopped for a moment to take in the homely, musky aroma of the old sandstone structure. He grinned, looking forward to all the future days and nights he would be spending in the Gatehouse. He removed his scarf and put it on the hatstand that he had carried with him, finding it a bit uncomfortable in the cozy Gatehouse. He then set down the box containing his belongings on his new bed, taking a moment to lay down and get comfortable before getting everything sorted. There was a knock at the door. "Come in!" the otter shouted welcomingly.

“Where you think he is?”
The gray furred hare looked back at her white sister with a rather impatient expression as they stood looking across the abbey grounds. The white hare looked up at the abbey’s upper floors as she replied “Well, I assume the chap hasn’t been around here too long and considering how bad a shape he was I’d guess the rotter’d be in the infirmary.”
Ebonypaw sighed and rolled her eyes “And where’s that at genius? Come on let’s quit wondering and start lookin!”
Silverheart lowered her gaze down to her sister “Ahh, ahh, ahh, don’t you think it’d make the blighters uncomfortable havin a hare like yourself prying through every room in the bally abbey? They’d probably think you’re lookin for some vermin or something!
Ebonypaw gave Silverheart a questioning look as she stopped mid step “Well we are looking for a bally vermin aren’t we?”
Silverheart squinted her emerald eyes bringing them to the same degree of squint as her sister’s natural appearance “In a very, very, general use of the term. Don’t you think it’d be better to ask if anyone’s seen the chap first?”
Ebonypaw made formed a blunt expression on her face “Sure, ask the peaceful abbey dwellers if they’ve seen a bally old grouch of a white fox with giant fangs bigger than some shrews!”
Silverheart frowned as she headed for the gatehouse door “That’s a bit of an exaggeration don’t you think… ok maybe not the old grouch part but his fangs aren’t that big!”
Ebonypaw went to follow her sister “Evidently you’ve never seen them from a leveret’s perspective.”
Silverheart looked over her shoulder as she knocked “Actually I did but I suppose you’re more ‘aggressive’ perspective of things exaggerated the size of his bally chompers.”
("Come in!")
Silverheart smiled as she opened the door “Hello, sorry to interrupt whatever you were doing. I’m Silverheart and this…” she let her sister step into the doorway beside her “is my sister Ebonypaw. We’re looking for a beast, think you could be of any help?”

Abe turned his head to get a look at his guests. “Hello, sorry to interrupt whatever you were doing. I’m Silverheart and this…” she let her sister step into the doorway beside her “is my sister Ebonypaw. We’re looking for a beast, think you could be of any help?” The otter grinned at the pair, "Nah, you weren't interruptin' anything. I was just getting everything situated; first day, you know." He got up off the bed and turned to face the sisters. "I'd be more than happy to help you two. I'm assuming yore lookin' for Belarus?"

Abe turned his head to get a look at his guests. “Hello, sorry to interrupt whatever you were doing. I’m Silverheart and this…” she let her sister step into the doorway beside her “is my sister Ebonypaw. We’re looking for a beast, think you could be of any help?” The otter grinned at the pair, "Nah, you weren't interruptin' anything. I was just getting everything situated; first day, you know." He got up off the bed and turned to face the sisters. "I'd be more than happy to help you two. I'm assuming yore lookin' for Belarus?"

("Nah, you weren't interruptin' anything. I was just getting everything situated; first day, you know.")
Silverheart bobbed her head with a slight grin “Oh yes, it took us a bit to get used to the Patrol when we first arrived, only this is a lot more friendly occupation.”
("I'd be more than happy to help you two. I'm assuming yore lookin' for Belarus?")
Ebonypaw’s ears straightened up upon hearing the name “Yes, you know the chap? Could you tell the rotter is?”
Silverheart looked at her sister with a slight smirk then back to Abe “Yes, if you know where he is would you be so kind as to tell us please?”

Ebonypaw’s ears straightened up upon hearing the name “Yes, you know the chap? Could you tell us where the rotter is?” Silverheart looked at her sister with a slight smirk then back to Abe “Yes, if you know where he is would you be so kind as to tell us please?” Abe chuckled at Ebonypaw. "Last place I saw the 'rotter' was up in infirmary. I'll show you the way, if you don't know. Come on." He took his lengthy scarf down from the hatstand where he had put it when he first got in and put it on, positioning it so he wouldn't trip over it, and headed out the door towards the main Abbey building.

("Last place I saw the 'rotter' was up in infirmary. I'll show you the way, if you don't know. Come on.") Ebonypaw watched with a rather quizzical expression as the otter put on his scarf, in her mind it almost seemed longer than he was tall similar in fashion as to how she had viewed the old grouch’s fangs. Silverheart backed out of the doorway letting Abe through and closed the door behind them. The two hares took a few bounds to catch up with him then matched his pace. Silverheart had a small grin of appreciation and surprise “Thank you kind chap, I wasn’t expecting to find anyone that would jump right to it and show the way.”
Ebonypaw’s naturally narrowed eyes surveyed their surroundings as they moved “Except for the stone walls and structures this place feels almost like we’re outside, in the forest… the friendly part at least.”
Silverheart gave a small nod as her grin grew slightly “Talk about bringing a piece of home with you ehh?”
Ebonypaw’s eye twitched upon the comment and she gave an obviously fake laugh “Home… right.”
Silverheart nudged her sister lightly with an elbow “Cheer up! I swear sometimes you’re worse than that old toadwhollopin grouch!”
The term SIlverheart used for Belarus turned made her give a true laugh “Toadwholloper indeed!”

“Thank you kind chap, I wasn’t expecting to find anyone that would jump right to it and show the way.” Abe looked over to Silverheart. "No sense dwaddling about chatting in that old Gatehouse when you two obviously need to get somewhere." he replied, pleased to see that the sisters were keeping pace with him. “Except for the stone walls and structures this place feels almost like we’re outside, in the forest… the friendly part at least.” Abe looked up at the sky. "It does have a bit of a tendency to do that, doesn't it?" “Talk about bringing a piece of home with you ehh?” “Home… right.” “Cheer up! I swear sometimes you’re worse than that old toadwhollopin grouch!” “Toadwholloper indeed!” Abe chuckled as he opened the huge doors leading into the main building. "Old toadwhollopin' grouch? I'll have to remember that one." He led the hares through Great Hall and stopped momentarily at the tapestry of Martin the Warrior. "That's Martin the Warrior. He drove out the vermin that used to control this area and helped build the Abbey a long, long time ago." He stayed for a moment longer before starting off again towards the stairs. He started up the stairs, the sisters following close behind. Upon reaching the floor on which the Infirmary was located, Abe stopped. "And here we are! The Infirmary's just down this way." He continued on down the hall until he reached the Infirmary door. He was about to open the door when it was suddenly thrown open, knocking the poor otter flat to the floor. He wearily got up and rubbed his now aching head. "And I believe that would be the old toadwhollopin' grouch now."

("That's Martin the Warrior. He drove out the vermin that used to control this area and helped build the Abbey a long, long time ago.")
Silverheart gazed at the tapestry while her sister let her eyes roam the entire hall while commenting on Abe’s words “Martin, yes there are stories of him at the mountain too. They’re mostly about when his sword was recast and the fall of Kotir… which I hear that, oddly there are no ruins left to see, none at all.”
Silverheart shook her head as Ebonypaw finished giving her answer “Huh, quite right chap odd indeed!”
("And here we are! The Infirmary's just down this way.")
Silverheart gave a questioning expression on her face as they headed towards the infirmary “Now that I think about it, why is the infirmary not on the ground floor? Doesn’t it make it harder for injured beasts to get around or be moved to and fro the bally infirmary up here?”
(Abe was about to open the door when it was suddenly thrown open, knocking the poor otter flat the floor. He wearily got up and rubbed his now aching head. "And I believe that would be the old toadwhollopin' grouch now.")
“Hit your head? It’d help if you didn’t stand in front of the blinkin do… oh.”
Belarus wrinkled his snout slightly and gave an awkward smile, patches of fur had been trimmed away and replaced with bandages making the already ridiculous look white fox look like a total joke of a fox. He held up his bandaged claw while the other remained on the door handle “Hello, what brings you lot here?”
Silverheart tapped one footpaw on the floor impatiently as both sister looked at him with a slight squint. It took a moment for the grouch to get the message “Ohh, err, sorry about that… heh, heh, din’t hear you out here through the door.”
Belarus let go of the door handle and extended his good claw, which had been trimmed rather short, for Abe to take “Umm, what’s your name sir?”
Ebonypaw wrinkled her nose “Hasn’t changed so much as a blinkin flea… well at least his attitude hasn’t.”

Belarus let go of the door handle and extended his good claw, which had been trimmed rather short, for Abe to take. “Umm, what’s your name sir?” Abe took Belarus's claw and got up. "The name's Abernathy, but you can just call me Abe if you like." The otter brushed himself off before continuing. "These two were looking for ye'. And I don't believe you're fit to leave the infirmary yet, mister." he said, casting an accusing glance at the fox. Ebonypaw wrinkled her nose “Hasn’t changed so much as a blinkin flea… well at least his attitude hasn’t.” Abe turned to look at Ebonypaw. "You mean he's always like this? Blimey."

("The name's Abernathy, but you can just call me Abe if you like.")
("These two were looking for ye'. And I don't believe you're fit to leave the infirmary yet, mister.")
("You mean he's always like this? Blimey.")
Silverheart’s eyes widened momentarily with delight “Abernathy, so that’s your name, jolly good one too I say!”
Belarus’s expression went blunt with half closed eyes “If’n I can walk then I’m fit to go ‘wherever’ I want. So I could go climb the tallest of the northern mountains if I wanted to, it doesn’t matter how fit anybeast say I a…”
Ebonypaw gave a slight push with her left footpaw knocking the white fox off balance. Belarus let go of Abe’s paw and waved his arms as he hopped on his good leg “Yahh, ahhh, bwarguh!”
Belarus grabbed hold of the door to gain his balance and it swung back inwards on him pushing him back into the infirmary as it slammed against its frame. Belarus growled as he regained his balance “What was that for!”
Ebonypaw had a slight grin on her face even though her tone was comparable to an angry mother goose “An’ stay where you belong confounded toadwhollopin toad of a fox!”
“TOAD!!! Who are you calling a ‘toad’?”
Ebonypaw put one of her black furred paws up to her right ear “Huh, I can hear the blighter croaking right now!”
Silverheart stifled a giggle before replying to Abe’s question “Always is, always has been, always will be. He can be real silly at times too though”
Ebonypaw gave a false sneeze “Withyounins.”
Belarus’s voice vibrated through the door again this time sounding more blunt than angry “I’m coming out!”
Ebonypaw starred blatantly at the door “Open it again and the door’ll be part of your outfit you old lazy owl!”
Needless to say the door did ‘not’ open.

Silverheart’s eyes widened momentarily with delight “Abernathy, so that’s your name, jolly good one too I say!” Abe smiled at Silverheart. "Thanks, miss. It's not often one gets complemented on their name." Bemusedly, Abe watched the banter between the hares and the fox, sensing that the trio had something of a history with each other. Silverheart stifled a giggle before replying to Abe’s question “Always is, always has been, always will be. He can be real silly at times too though” Abe gave Silverheart a look of mock shock. "Silly? Him? Really?" He looked back at the door for a moment before looking back to the sisters. "If you don't mind my asking, what were you lot doing to get him in that sorry a state anyways?"

("If you don't mind my asking, what were you lot doing to get him in that sorry a state anyways?")
Belarus let the door open causing Ebonypaw to raise one footpaw momentarily until she noted he wasn’t making much of a move to get out. The moderately aged white fox looked at Abe then the hares “They didn’t, I did, vermin did… What are you two doing here?”
Silverheart let her head drop slightly as she answered “They weren’t doing enough, just sitting around while that otter and his group cleared out the rest of the rats with the main Northwind Patrol. They didn’t get them all, there’s still a holding around the area where…”
Ebonypaw glanced at her sister then back to Abe “We lost the others.”
Belarus clenched his jaw and winced “Burn their hides and let Vulpuz bathe in their ashes.”
Silverheart glared at the injured fox “Really now chap, I thought you didn’t push towards the darkness.”
Belarus’s expression went blunt “Nothing’s too dark for that lot of tree dwelling savage… Erg. Bah, stop it you’re just making me angry.”
He shook a low orange tint from his eyes turning them back to their misted amber color… though it was more like the colors were reversed, gray with a hint of amber. Silverheart stepped forward and put a paw on his shoulder “There, there chap just get some rest. Ol’ ferret chapess of yours said you were barely holding together the second time… literally.”
Belarus grunted and leaned against the doorway “Hmph rest, yeah I’m sure my eyes are tellin you I’m ready for a very lo…”
Silverheart put a paw against the tip of his snout “I meant recover you great big bally fool. It isn’t the blinkin end and there’re still a lot of youngins about. Younger than them… or us ohhh!”
Silverheart was caught off guard when the grumpy fox almost collapsed onto her “Well I say, he acted a little fast to my advice! Chap didn’t even bother to get back in bed!”
Ebonypaw moved to give a paw as the grouch gave a mix between a mumble and sigh, eyes closed “Lazy rotter, now this is what we had to deal with when there wasn’t fightin to be done. Hate it, absoballylutly!”

Abe assisted the two with getting Belarus back into his bed, then looked back at the sisters with a look of sorrow. "I'm so sorry for what happened. If there's anything I can do, anything at all…" he was cut short by a shouting from outside. His face changed from one of of surprise to one of grim determination. The shouting did not sound friendly. "Keep up as best you can." He dashed out of the Infirmary, down the stairs, and out of Great Hall onto the Abbey lawn. He could see the other abbeybeasts hurrying to see what the shouting was about as well. He continued running until he reached the stone steps leading up to the west-facing walltop. He hurried up the steps and stopped when he reached the walltop. Almost instantly, an arrow whizzed out and buried itself in his shoulder. He let out a yelp of pain and surprise as he stumbled backwards and fell, protected from further harm by the wall parapet.

Abe assisted the two with getting Belarus back into his bed, then looked back at the sisters with a look of sorrow. "I'm so sorry for what happened. If there's anything I can do, anything at all…" he was cut short by a shouting from outside. His face changed from one of of surprise to one of grim determination. The shouting did not sound friendly. "Keep up as best you can." He dashed out of the Infirmary, down the stairs, and out of Great Hall onto the Abbey lawn. He could see the other abbeybeasts hurrying to see what the shouting was about as well. He continued running until he reached the stone steps leading up to the west-facing walltop. He hurried up the steps and stopped when he reached the walltop. Almost instantly, an arrow whizzed out and buried itself in his shoulder. He let out a yelp of pain and surprise as he stumbled backwards and fell, protected from further harm by the wall parapet.
("I'm so sorry for what happened. If there's anything I can do, anything at all...")
Silverheart gave a small shrug “Thank you but I think’s it’s best if we leave the chap to the jolly healers. I know a few things but all that I can do’s already been done by the chaps it looks like.”
Both sister’s had their ears twitch upon receiving the shout ("Keep up as best you can.")
Ebonypaw looked at Abe with her naturally squinted eyes “Keep up, you know who you’re talking to chap?”
The two sisters raced after Abe keeping pace with the otter rather than charging ahead like they wanted to. Ebonypaw pushed past her sister and raced up behind Abe stopping when she heard the otter give out a yelp followed by arrows landing in the abbey grounds. Ebonypaw caught Abe before his head could strike the stone flooring of the wall tops and looked back at her sister “How about some of that healing practice now sis These blighters don’t appear to be interested in chatting!”
Ebonypaw laid Abe on the stone of the wall tops and let Silverheart being inspecting the arrow in his shoulder allowing her to reach over her shoulder and ready a veruta (short javelin) in her black paw “Bally bogglewhollopers!”
She threw the short javelin and ducked down from any arrows that might seek retaliation allowing her to kneel beside Silverheart “How bad is it?”
Silverheart almost had her snout against the arrow shaft “Not much of an entry would, think it’s just a sharpened stick with a bally feather on one end; shouldn’t be too much damage. How’s it feel ol’ chap, don’t want to pull it out if it risks doing more damage than it’s worth.”

Silverheart almost had her snout against the arrow shaft “Not much of an entry wound, think it’s just a sharpened stick with a bally feather on one end; shouldn’t be too much damage. How’s it feel ol’ chap, don’t want to pull it out if it risks doing more damage than it’s worth.” Abe gave her pained smile. "It feels like Hellgates." He looked in the direction of the vermin. "I suppose there's no point asking 'em 'Friend or foe', is there?"

OOC: If you need me to change it just let me know. It's kind of considered modding so let me know if you didn't want me to pull the arrow.
BIC:("It feels like Hellgates.")
Silverheart gave a somewhat puzzled look at Abe “Well at least you’re feeling something. Well here it goes.”
She pinched the arrow in her paw and as gently as possible pricked it out of Abe’s shoulder and threw it aside. Watching the wound she pulled out a compress bandage from one of her pouches and applied it to his shoulder “Sorry about the pain this might cause chap but can you move your paw still? Wouldn’t be nice to find out you’re bally well paralyzed in a tight spot!”
("I suppose there's no point asking 'em 'Friend or foe', is there?")
Ebonypaw felt the air being cut through as an arrow passed just above her ears leaving her to look at the parapets that blocked her view through her narrowed eyes “Hmph I should say not, bally rotters didn’t even bother to say hello!”
“Neither did you.”
Ebonypaw’s head turned in a blur to look at Belarus down at the bottom of the wall tops “Bally fool, get your rock brained head back into the bloomin infirmary or the vermin’ll be the least of your worries!”

OOC: I haven't got a problem with it Bel. As far as posts go, just do whatever you think is best.  🙂

BIC: Abe grimaced as Silverheart pulled the arrow out of his shoulder, cursing himself for his carelessness. “Sorry about the pain this might cause chap but can you move your paw still? Wouldn’t be nice to find out you’re bally well paralyzed in a tight spot!” Worried that his arm might very well be paralyzed, Abe tried clenching his paw. His effort was rewarded by a sharp pain in his arm as his paw did as it was told. He grinned feebly and gave Silverheart a thumbs-up with his good paw. ("I suppose there's no point asking 'em 'Friend or foe', is there?") _“Hmph I should say not, bally rotters didn’t even bother to say hello!”__“Neither did you.”_Abe was just as surprised as Ebonypaw at Belarus's sudden appearance. “Bally fool, get your rock brained head back into the bloomin infirmary or the vermin’ll be the least of your worries!” Abe looked at Belarus with a puzzled expression. "What are ye' doin' out here?"

("What are ye' doin' out here?")
Belarus’s eyes followed the next cloud of arrows as they came over the walls “Well, trying to figure out what to do about those attackers, whoever they are. My question is where are the blasted guards!”
The grumpy white fox began pricking arrows out of the ground between clouds while Ebonypaw looked to Abe “Well what sort of bally weapons does this place have chap? Silverheart fluttered her ears “Got any bows, that bloomin bell tower makes a good vantage point!”
Belarus ignored the arrow that buried itself directly beside his foot claw and looked back at the other abbeybeasts who had come out to investigate the shouting. They were scattered about in chaos and some particularly small beasts were by the pond “BY VULPUZ, GET THEM INSIDE!”
He threw the arrows down and darted off towards the pond with surprising speed for his injuries, moving with a significant stagger in his run.

“Well, trying to figure out what to do about those attackers, whoever they are. My question is where are the blasted guards!” Abe looked at Belarus quizzically, "Guards? We haven't got any guards!" The grumpy white fox began pricking arrows out of the ground between clouds while Ebonypaw looked to Abe, _"_Well what sort of bally weapons does this place have chap?" Silverheart fluttered her ears, “Got any bows, that bloomin bell tower makes a good vantage point!” Abe shook his head, "I'm afraid we haven't."Abe looked back to the Belltower, seeing the truth in Silverheart's words. “BY VULPUZ, GET THEM INSIDE!” Abe was startled by Belarus's sudden shouting, but quickly understood the reason. "Everybeast inside, NOW!" He turned back to the sisters, "I can't get a good look over the wall, but I'm guessing those are the rest of those 'tree-dwelling savages' out for revenge. How many of the rotters are we looking at?"

("I can't get a good look over the wall, but I'm guessing those are the rest of those 'tree-dwelling savages' out for revenge. How many of the rotters are we looking at?")
Ebonypaw gave Abe a startled looked “Wha, they wouldn’t have the nerve to come this far south! They bally well wouldn’t, never!”
Silverheart looked at her sister and exhaled worriedly “I don’t know the rotters had to travel pretty far south just to get to bally Mossflower. Though I was pretty sure they were contained by the Long Patrol and Northwind Patrol.”
Ebonypaw gave a small nod “Point taken, if in the off chance the rancid rats did get through there couldn’t be more than… Oh fiddlesticks I don’t bally know, nobeast ever got so much as a bloomin estimate on their numbers. All that we could be certain of is that we killed more rats than there are leaves on a three topped oak and that was only a small fraction of their force!”
Silverheart’s ears drooped a little “Not all of them could’ve gotten through though could they?”
Ebonypaw shrugged with uncertainty “Well with no guards it really doesn’t bloomin matter anyways!”
Random shouts of unintelligible rage could be heard coming from the grouch over by the pond as the white fox came hustling back while the dibbuns were rushed inside.

Views