Shoutbox Adventures #1: The Early Bird Gets The Worm. (Closed)

OOC: This charming story is Dawn's idea, I just made the thread for it.

Sighing, Reverrek closed his bag, having tucked away everything he would need for the journey. "If Pen weren't so squeamish around those stupid worms," he began, "Still, I suppose it's for a good cause." Earlier that day, He and the royal family had been nearly killed by a group of giant, blue worms. Mountain worms, as he had been reliably informed. The worms quickly left, at the command of their leader, but not before giving the group a warning that they would all be killed, and that Dawn the Badger would be the one leading them to victory. Dawn seemed to oppose this idea, but he didn't exactly make himself clear on where his true loyalties lied. Dawn had suggested that a peace offering might appease the Mountain Worms, but this was no guarantee. Dawn had the ability to command a different race of similar worms, called Forest Worms. One of these worms had chosen Penblade, the bard of Queen Kiara and King Vikenti, to travel with Dawn. Pen, however, did not wish to come, so Reverrek had volunteered to go in his place. The two had agreed to meet up at the north-west edge of the royal palace, where they would then set off for the mountains that the Mountain Worms called home. While he did not trust Dawn, he knew that going with him was the only option available at the moment. He took one last look around to make sure he had gotten everything, and set off to where he had been instructed to meet Dawn, who would be accompanied by Dusk the Assassin, an apparent friend of his. Based off of previous experiences, he did not trust Dusk very much either. Still, going with the two of them gave everyone a better chance of living than not. Letting out a sigh, Reverrek continued walking. He soon came to the clearing where he had been instructed to meet the others. He could see Dawn, but he did not see Dusk. This more or less worried him. "Have you seen Dusk about?" he asked Dawn, hoping the badger would have some idea.

Dawn looked at Reverrek. He knew exactly where Dusk was, but he didnt want to say where. He had made a deal with Dusk to find Thrugg and bring him to Dawn. "Hell meet us later, at the foot of the mountain," he said, counting over his supplies. All his food was preserved in honey. He strapped his supplies to his shoulder. He motioned for Reverrek to follow him. He would need more help than just him to get the treaty to work. The worms enjoyed to torment people. What happens next is unknown, even to the forest worms. If they were to live, they would need an army, mostly moles.

"He'll meet us later, at the foot of the mountain," Dawn told him. Reverrek gave Dawn a nod. "Alright, that's somewhat reassuring." he said, looking the huge badger over. Dawn motioned for Reverrek to follow him, and the two started off for the mountain. He wasn't too thrilled at the almost certain probability of meeting his death, but some reckless part of him was glad to finally have a good adventure again. The pair continued walking, the mountain looming ever closer. "So, I'm assuming that it isn't just going to be us three, is it?" he asked, a brief look of concern coming over his face as he did so.

"Yes, we're going to have to dig into the mountain." Dawn said, not taking his eyes off the mountain. By nightfall, they didn't seem any closer to the mountain. Dawn passed Reverrek an oatcake and a flask of cordial. He ate his quickly and lay down to sleep, he would have to tell Rev the truth eventually. He watched as Reverrek lay down to sleep. He felt safe, but something told him they weren't safe. Dawn pushed it out of his mind and closed his eyes. When he woke up, he could feel a weight on his back, he looked up to see a fox holding a sword to his head. He looked over at Reverrek to see he was bound to the floor.
"Well now," the fox said with a smile, "we're going to have some fun with you, aren't we boys?" He heard many vermin laughing at their leaders joke. Dawns heart pounded faster, it looked like they meant business.

"Yes, we're going to have to dig into the mountain." Dawn said, not taking his eyes off the mountain. "Alright," Reverrek said, feeling somewhat better about their situation. Night fell, and even after a day of traveling, the pair didn't seem any closer to the mountain. They set up camp for the night, ate, and eventually went to sleep."Oi! Wake up!" a gruff voice shouted; Reverrek did not recognize the voice at all. He opened his eyes and found himself staring right into the face of a rat. Alarmed, he tried to get up and found he had been tied to the ground with thick rope, his head and paws the only things he could move at all. He could see that the rat was one of a large group of vermin surrounding the area. His eyes widened at the realization of how outnumbered he and Dawn were. He struggled in vain against the ropes binding him. Looking over, he saw saw that Dawn was lying on his stomach, a brawny-looking fox standing on his back holding a sword to his head. "Well now," the fox said with a smile, "We're going to have some fun with you, aren't we boys?" Many of the vermin laughed at this, confirming the badger's fears about the situation at hand. Reverrek sighed and lay his head back down on the ground, trying not to think about what the vermin's idea of "fun" was.

The fox brought his head close to Dawns, "Would you like to know what the, 'fun' is, eh?" The fox went sprawling as Dawn collided his fist in the Fox's stomach. The fox struggled to get up, but Dawn was on him immediately, his eyes red with the bloodrath. The fox sank his teeth into Dawns shoulder, but Dawn paid little head to this. He grabbed the fox and threw him against a tree, knocking the wind from him.
"Help me, help me!" the fox shouted, with some difficulty. Almost instantly, the vermin horde was on Dawn, dragging him down to the forest floor. Just then, the ground began shaking. Some of the vermin thought it was Dawn, but then a giant worm surfaced next to the rat near Reverrek and began strangling him. More worms appeared, strangling any vermin that came in reach. after the vermin were either dead or had run away, the worms helped Dawn up to his feet.
"Thank you friends, you came just in time," Dawn said to the worms.
"Not to interrupt, but, could you untie me right now?" Rev said, smiling at Dawn. He picked up his battleaxe and sliced through Revs bonds. When he got up, there wasn't any sign of the worms, or the vermin. Not even the fox.
"Well, lets see what we can find from our supplies," Dawn said, "I think the vermin may have eaten it all." Dawns suspicions were true, all he could salvage were some hard oat scones. He walked off into the forest, leaving Reverrek alone in their trashed campsite.

OOC: Hope this is good, I couldn't think of anything else.

Reverrek stared disheartedly at their empty supply bag. "Blimey, they didn't have to take the strawberry fizz." He looked back to where Dawn was standing, only to find that he had already stormed off into the forest. He stuffed as much as he could salvage from their trashed campsite as quickly as he could and hurried after Dawn. "Oi! Wait up!" he shouted, hoping that Dawn would hear. When he did catch up, he lightly hit Dawn on the head, "You could've waited a minute or two, you know." he said, slightly irritated at the badger's behavior. "Are you going to keep walking, or are you going to help me get some food?" he asked, unsure what Dawn was doing.

(OOC: Sorry it's short.)

"I'm foraging, if that's okay." Dawn said, sarcastically. He continued searching in the forest for food. "If you're not going to do anything, you can help me forage." He said, not looking away.  He didn't care if Rev was going to help or not. Soon, he found a rat with a hastily scrawled note. It was hard to read, but it roughly said Meet at mountain, perfrom droopoff, rob foxes.
"Hey, Rev, check this out." Dawn said, handing Rev the paper. If it meant what he thought, they were going to have some company at the mountain.

"Fine by me, mate." Reverrek said, following Dawn through the forest. The pair found the body of a rat. The rat was holding what appeared to be a note; Dawn grabbed the note and read it. "Hey, Rev, check this out." Dawn said, handing Rev the slip of paper. He read the note, though with difficulty. He looked back to Dawn, "Well, looks like we're going to have some company then." He walked a few paces before pausing a moment. He turned around to face Dawn. "I have an idea."

"So, what's your idea?" Dawn asked, sitting down. He looked over and found a trail of dead vermin. The trail ended at the top of a tree. But, due to Dawns size, he couldn't scale the tree.
"Hey Rev, think you could climb a tree?" Dawn asked Rev, pointing at the tall oak. There were vermin bodies spaced at equal intervals on the trunk. several of the bodies had to be impaled on the trunk. They were stuck there with crude arrows, all of them had odd quills on them. Dawn tried to pull one out, but it wouldn't come out. Just then, a creature came out of the forest, it looked like a hedgehog, but some of its quills were gone.
"So, what do you want?" The hedghog asked, looking from Dawn to Reverrek.

"I-" Dawn looked over at something. "Oi! I'm-" Rev looked where Dawn was looking, and saw the trail of dead vermin. Dawn looked up at an oak tree, where the trail continued to the top. The impaled bodies of the vermin were stuck in the tree in an almost disturbingly orderly fashion. "Hey Rev, think you could climb a tree?" Dawn asked Rev, pointing at the tall oak. "Yeah, probably. Do I want to? Not really, no." Just then, a creature came out of the forest. It looked like a hedgehog, but some of its quills were gone."So, what do you want?" The creature asked, looking from Dawn to Reverrek. "We were just passing through, mate; didn't intend on bothering you. Got a name?" Reverrek replied, giving the creature a friendly smile.

The porcupine took out a crude bow and a quill arrow. Notching the arrow to his bow, he pinted it at Rev and Dawn.
"What are you doing here, in the domain of Zecklecar? Zecklecar demands to know!" He said, pulling back the string.
"Zecklecar is vain," Dawn whispered to Reverrek, "We're just passing through to deliver a message." Dawn said to Zecklecar. The creature relaxed his bow. Putting it away, he began drawing in the dirt. When he finished, it resembled a map of the mountain and the surrounding area. There was a picture of a foxs head at one side of the mountain, and an x showing where they were.
"So, Whats your plan?" Zecklecar said to Rev, tossing him the stick.
OOC: Zecklecar is a porcupine, and you can have him talk in your posts 😄

Rev caught the stick and gave Zecklecar a friendly look, glad to have the porcupine on their side. Using the stick, he pointed at the drawing of the fox's head. "Alright, so…"

~

Reverrek could see the group of vermin waiting for their accomplice up ahead. He checked his disguise, roughing up his fur once again just to be sure. "Okay, you've done this before. No reason it shouldn't work, no reason at all, right." Taking a deep breath, he dropped down from the branch he was sitting on and casually walked up to the group. "Hello, you lot. Sorry yer chum couldn' make it, had a bit o' an illness ya' see. He sent me in 'is absence. Now, he wasn' able t' tell me properly who it is we're robbin' or why afore the oaf fell asleep agin, so if'n you lot would be so kind as to get me up to date." He looked expectantly at the apparent leader of the group.

The leader, a rat looked in Reverreks general direction.
"Your humor eludes us, I suppose you are here for the item. I must warn you, the worms it calls are not friendly," the rat handed Rev a small, stone whistle.
"Now, as per our agreement, you will kill the two badgers and Zeckelcar?" The rat asked. The other vermin began laughing at the prospect of a single vermin taking down two badgers.
"So, how many vermin do you command?"

Reverrek placed the stone whistle in his bag, making a mental note to give it to Dawn later. "Now, as per our agreement, you will kill the two badgers and Zeckelcar?" The rat asked. The other vermin began laughing at the prospect of a single vermin taking down two badgers. "That's wot we agreed to, ain't it?" he answered, managing to hide his momentary surprise at this. "So, how many vermin do you command?" Rev pointed at himself with his thumb, a grin spreading across his features. "This one right here. Oh don't get yore tails in a twist, I've killed plenty o' badgers. Wot's two more t' me?" His confident expression was soon replaced by one of intrigue. He turned to look in the direction of the woods before turning back to face the group. "Did any o' you lot hear that just now?"

The rat stared hard at the vermin. something was wrong, but he couldn't place it. "That's wot we agreed to, ain't it?" The vermin answered. "This one right here. Oh don't get yore tails in a twist, I've killed plenty o' badgers. Wot's two more t' me?" "Did any o' you lot hear that just now?" The rat looked to the forest, then back to the vermin.
"All I hear is a… thing, that is terrible at lieing. Tell me, what are you, excatcly?" He asked, sitting on a rock. He motioned for it to sit down.
"You do know that Zeckelcar killed several of our best vermin, right?"
OOC:Could you send me a PM detailing the plan Rev, I'm a little lost.

"All I hear is a… thing, that is terrible at lying. Tell me, what are you, exactly?" He asked, sitting on a rock. He motioned for Rev to sit down."You do know that Zecklecar killed several of our best vermin, right?" Rev realized he was walking on very thin ice, and did his best not to show his worry that the vermin would see through the raggedy clothes he was wearing and the brown paint that had been rubbed into his fur; he hadn't expected them to be familiar with him. Dawn and Zecklecar were too far back in the woods to hear or see anything, and would only come out and assist him if he shouted for them or if they knew it had been too long. He was beginning to reconsider this decision. "Yeah, I noticed 'em stuck to several trees on the way in. Quite a gruesome fellow, isn't he?" He allowed himself a small chuckle at this. "And I'll have you lot know me mum was a stoat, thanks." he replied, showing off his canines in a toothy grin. "Never really found out wot Pop was though, he left long afore I came about. Mum always said he was a wolverine or somethin', but I never believed that ol' nut. Why? What'd you think I was?"

The rat got up. Motioning for his vermin to follow him.
"We will let you get on with the task. Just do not expect us to help you, alright?" The rat turned and headed into the forest.
"Foolish badger, he thinks that disguise can fool me. Oh well, at least we are rid of that whistle. It's his problem now."

"We will let you get on with the task. Just do not expect us to help you, alright?" The rat turned and headed into the forest, the other vermin following close behind. "Wouldn' want ya' to, mate!" he shouted after them. Once the vermin had walked out of sight, he breathed a huge sigh of relief and walked back to where Dawn and Zecklecar were hiding. "We didn't even have to put on a show, the blighters just left!" He pointed back in the direction he had come from, "I'm going to go change out of this getup, I'll be back in a bit." He walked a ways until he found a stream. He took of his vermin clothes, set them on the bank, and began washing the paint out in the stream. Once his fur was back to it's usual color, he got out of the stream and dried himself before putting back on his usual attire. As he was putting the vermin clothes back into his bag, he noticed the whistle that had been given to him earlier. He pulled it out stared at it intently, thinking about what he knew of the worms so far. He wanted to know more about his mysterious allies, and talking to them face-to-face seemed like a good way to accomplish this. Taking a deep breath, he blew the whistle. He had assumed that by 'not friendly', the vermin had meant the green worms that had helped him and Dawn out earlier. Several of the malicious, blue mountain worms shot out of the ground and set upon the unsuspecting badger instead.

Dawn looked up from the bush he was hiding in. He heard a familiar squealing, and it could only be one thing.
"The mountain worms," Dawn said, immediately standing. He beckoned to Zecklecar and headed in the direction of the squealing. When he got there, all he saw was a wriggling mass of blue. Zecklecar stared at the mass, but Dawn reacted quickly, grabbing one of the worms, he began beating others with it. Zecklecar took out a short sword and began slicing through the worms soft flesh. Dawn had managed to find Reverrek and lifted him out of the mass.
"You're not going to give in that easily, are you?"

Views