Hey guys!

I'm writing a massive Redwall fan fiction novel as a tribute to Brian Jacques (an epic conclusion to the series… I'm hoping to get his old publisher to accept it), and there is one question that keeps popping up... Distances! There is a massive fluctuation regarding how long it takes to travel various distances, but I can no longer work with that ambiguity.

SO you die-hards get to decide, once and for all, how far apart everything is from each other.

Some of you have probably seen this rough comprehensive map I put together a while ago... http://www.flickr.com/photos/anotherlaura/3009948343/

I need distances in "how many days' travel" between the following places:

Holt Lutra to Redwall
Quarry to Redwall
Salamandastron to Redwall
Salamandastron to Floret
Redwall to the eastern sea (where Loamhedge and the ruins of Marshank should be, yes?)
Redwall to Floret (also mark distance to the waterfall in-between)
Castle Floret to Camp of Log-o-Log, South of Floret

I also need to know the distance from Redwall to Noonvale (which is somewhere in the Northeastern Forest, near the Broadstream River http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Broadstream_River. These details need to be added to the map.)

The abundance of waterfalls on these maps indicates lots of hills and valleys… Meaning that travel is likely to be more difficult going one direction, as opposed to another.

Travel rates:

• by river (keep in mind upstream vs. down stream) both by boat and by otter swimming
  • As the crow flies (ie, if you're a bird and terrain doesn't matter)
  • As a soldier on march
  • An inexperienced traveler

Minimum distances - It needs to be at LEAST a two week distance for soldiers rushing between Salamandastron, Redwall, and Floret.

^_^ Who wants to help me?

Backpacker here!  I'd be glad to help.  🙂  I'll get back to you with some personal info which I hope you will find helpful.

In the meantime, in my personal experience I can say that an average day's journey by foot (personal gear and supplies taken into account) over mild to moderate terrain is about 20-25 miles.

Over water and going downstream in slow to moderate current, an average day's journey is from 15 to twenty miles by canoe or kayak, with average travel time being around 9 hours.  Normally, going upstream one can expect to almost cut that distance in half in the same amount of time.  ><  lol

Oh! You are AWESOME!

Wow, so it's actually usually faster to travel by foot that via a river?

Glad to help.  🙂

Wow, so it's actually usually faster to travel by foot that via a river?

Well…  Not necessarily.  Up where I used to live, the rivers that were canoeable were the ones with the slower currents.  The big one with the fast current you kept canoes and kayaks away from if you wanted to live.  (...Way too many jagged rocks.)  The fastest rapids I've ever paddled have been class II and a few class III rapids, with the big ones never lasting very long.  Mostly, the currents in which I circulated were fairly even-tempered.  (;

Basically, depending on the speed (and water & obstacle level), one may be able to travel farther in a canoe or 'yak than on foot.  But the "work/rest" time is gonna be different than that observed when trekking.  I know that I'm able to keep up a decent clip on my feet for longer than I am able to sling a paddle, and I think that's how it generally is with everyone.

Hopefully that's not to hard to follow.  Basically, what I'm saying is that it all depends.  In my personal experience, I normally travel farther on foot in a day than I do paddling.  But then, I haven't paddled as much as I've hiked, and I imagine that as I paddle more rivers my experiences may very well change.

From the sounds of the current speed (rapids and falls included) in the rivers of Redwall, it's very fair to presume that one would be able to travel a good deal farther in a day in a boat than on foot.

Views