Two of a Kind (Kiara, Marsh)

• Osgod laughed dryly as he continued eating.

"I hold no attention of accosting you, polecat; you need not worry about that…  There's not much to be had from you that would benefit me.  However, other beasts may see you as a tempting prize.  All I say is that you had better find friends to travel with, or else be well-able to take care of yourself."

After some time, the wolverine finished his stew and swallowed the last of his barley beer.  Rising slowly to his paws, he sheathed his knife and glanced down at Eve.

"...Well miss, methinks 'tis time for me to leave this place. I dare say, it wasn't half bad.  Perhaps I'll return eventually.  However, right now the Northern Coasts are calling me; with luck I'll be able to pursue my fortune unbothered there for a time."

Padding slowly over to the bar, he produced a few more coins from his waist pouch and placed them in front of the landlord, before making his way to the door.  As he turned the handle, he glanced over his shoulder at the polecat one last time.

"I thank you for the good service, fox....  Eve, I wish you good luck on whatever paths you choose follow in these parts.  You are a kind creature; and I hope that no harm befalls you as you run away from whatever sort of life you had before now."

• Eve sighed a little in relief, as Osgod has stated he means no harm to her. She relaxed a bit as they continued to eat the rest of their meal, though she was keeping an eye on him. With her brother being who he was, she wasn’t about to trust just any beast, especially one who still had a knife on the table while they ate.

The female polecat looked up, watching the much bigger and stronger male wolverine get up from his seat. She smiled at him as he sheathed his knife. She felt better knowing that it was away in its proper place.
    She nodded at him. “Good luck where ever you end up.” She said watching him leave.
    By the time he had gotten to the door, she had gotten up, cleaned up the table a little, and was about to retire to the room she had paid for, when he had spoken to her just before leaving.

She nodded and smiled at him. “It was a pleasure to have some company for a change.” She said back to him before also walking from the table that both has sat at and returned up-stairs to her room to rest her body and sleep.

~ ~ ~

When Eve awoke the next morning, the sun hadn’t even came up yet and it was still rather dark out. This was the best time to travel, she figured. Any beast who wakes up early would normally wait until sunrise, and any night guards or anyone that could betray her to her brother would have fallen asleep during the night.

Sneaking into the kitchen, she had gotten herself something to eat on the go, then silently left the inn to continue her travels.
    The grass and plants were wet with dew, so she stayed along the beaten down path, least for now.
    Upon her travels she had noticed a second path, this one as if a fresh new path - or an old grown in one - and decided to take that path. Whether it be new or old, it wasn’t traveled on much, which meant fewer beast to see or bump into.

She had wondered how far Osgod had gotten before turning in for the night. Being how big he was, and how fast he could travel, she had thought that he was miles away further up north.
    However that wasn’t the case and with each step, brought her closer to her new acquaintance.

• Osgod nodded a final farewell to the polecat, and ducked out into the night.  The rain, previously heavy, had subsided into a steady drizzle.  Glancing around, the wolverine cast off towards the coast, following a barely discernible paw-path.  After about a half of an hour on his paws, he had come to the edge of the jagged cliffs that flanked the sea.  Deciding to stop and rest for the night, he cast into heavier forest and lay down under an old oak tree about 30 meters from the trail which he had been following.

Pulling the hood of his cloak over his head, he exhaled slowly through his nostrils and listened to the sound of the drizzle dripping from the leaves of the trees and onto the ground around him.

Always having been a light sleeper, the big wolverine was quickly jerked into wakefulness by the sound of some other creature traveling through the woods early the next morning.  Raising his body to a crouched kneel, he flexed his claws, shook the stiffness of sleep from his body, and peered keenly through the dusk.  _Nothing, still too dark out._ 

Feeling that it had been too long since he had let his more savage nature out, Osgod padded as silently could towards the path, hoping that the creature whom he was stalking was a highway robber or some sort of vagabond.    _If it is…_ 

The creature on the path was not a highway robber.  As he drew near to it, he noted with some disappointment that the creature's outline was distinctly female.  Feeling that he could not with a clear conscience assault a female creature, regardless of her moral bent, he stepped onto the path behind the creature and coughed gently.

• By the time Osgod had gotten close enough to see her - or at least her outline - Eve was quietly mumbling to herself, only odd words such as ‘brother’ and ‘sorry’ could be head escaping her lips.
    Along with his own stealth and her mind being pre-occupied, it wasn’t hard for him to get close to her at all.

She stopped, hearing his cough. Hiding one hand in her sleeve, her paw grasped around the handle of one of her laced throwing knives. “Who’s there?” She asked as she slowly turned around to face the figure who had coughed.
    And there he was, just a rather big shadowy figure in the limited light that was around them. She took a deep breath and stood her ground, asking again. “Who are you?”

• Osgod frowned in surprise and lowered his big paws as the female creature spoke.

"Eve?  How did you come to be here?  I thought that you had stayed back at the Two Crows for the night…"

The wolverine took a knee and looked at the polecat quizzically.

"You must truly be in fear of somebeast if you are risking your life by traveling in the far north of Mossflower at night...  Just what is it that you are fleeing from, miss?"

• Eve sighed to herself in relief, putting the knife back into its sheath inside her sleeve.

She smiled and walked closer to the shadowed figure, now knowing it was Osgod. “I was staying there. I just left a little earlier then expected.” She answered, watching him.
    She nodded at his last question, not really knowing how to answer his question. “…Just someone from my past. Someone I was close with long ago, but had to sever ties with.” She said. “I can’t really explain it, least not right now.”

She tilted her head at him. “…What are you doing up and around so early?” She asked. “I’m sorry if I woke you. I had no idea where you were.” She said with a sight giggle.

• Osgod rose to his paws, shaking his head doubtfully at the polecat's cryptic reply.

"I see… If you want, we could travel together for awhile.  Worry not, I wouldn't be much trouble to you.  Indeed, you might eventually find that I'm a useful beast to have at your side."

The wolverine grinned, showing his lethal teeth.

"...Just how many creatures are pursuing you?  It has been long since I've scrapped with a mob of vagabonds…"

• Eve smiled a little. Maybe traveling with Osgod wasn't all that bad. If anything, her brother would be looking for her alone, not with anyone else. She nodded at the idea. "Sounds good to me, that is if you don't mind me tagging along, of course?" She said tilting her head at his grin. She was thankful that he was friendly enough, she doubted that she would last long in a fight with him.

"Umm…Just one...Plus any other beast that he has hired." The polecat answered him, with a sigh. "...And truth be told, I have no idea how many are under his employ." She added, looking away from Osgod for a moment.

She knew if she ever did get caught, her brother wouldn't be very happy with her. She was worried what would happen to Osgod if they got caught, but it was safer for them both to travel together.
    "...So shall we go back to where you were sleeping and get a few more hours, or would you like to keep on going as we're already awake?"

• "It bothers me not if you tag along with me."

"Umm…Just one...Plus any other beast that he has hired.  And truth be told, I have no idea how many are under his employ."

Osgod frowned, slightly disappointed.

"Only one?  With a few hired-beasts?  I would have that that it would have been more than that…"

"…So shall we go back to where you were sleeping and get a few more hours, or would you like to keep on going as we're already awake?"

He glanced at the horizon, visible through the trees, and then back at his spartan campsite.

"I've slept more than enough this night…  Methinks we'll head to the coast from here.  I know of some calm tidepools there where the mollusks are plentiful.  We can collect enough shellfish there to last us for several days..."

The giant glanced right and left, and thoughtfully ran his claws through the shaggy fur on the back of his neck.

"After that, I dunno... Perhaps we should head south into Mossflower.  Is your pursuer any sort of tracker?  Because I am no master of stealth, I warn you...  Wherever we go, we will leave a trail."

Gesturing at his hefty paws, the wolverine snorted dryly.

"As you can see, little miss, I'm no squirrel or hare..."

• Eve smiled. It was nice to travel with some company for a little while.
    Though it bothered her not telling Osgod that there could possibly be more beasts with her brother…a lot more. After their father died, her brother had taken over and she had no idea if most stayed with him or not.
    From what she last seen of her brother, there was a good few dozen beasts still with him, but she wasn’t able to pin-point the number since then.
    And seeing as she didn’t want to get Osgod worked up, she decided to go with ’a few hired beasts’

She nodded at his suggestion. “Sounds like a plan to me.” She said then thought for a moment, then shook her head. “Not that I’m aware of, he can’t.” She answered with a slight laugh.
    “It’s OK. You don’t have to be a master of stealth; we just have to be a little careful.”

• (( Gray Whitestripe ))

Food…

Gray Whitestripe tirelessly hiked the road north of Mossflower in the dark phases of the morning, seeking refuge. He could hear his stomach growling at him like a vicious beast. He regretted eating the last of his rations the evening before. Rations that were meant to last a full week ended up consumed in but a few days.

He was recently hired by an ill-mannered wealthy polecat who lead a small horde. He along with several other mercenaries was ordered to search for anyone resembling his twin sister, and bring her back alive in exchange for a fairly attractive bit of coin. Not being the best of trackers, he decided to try his luck north of Mossflower.

He took happy note of a building silhouette further along the road. As he drew closer, he recognized it to be an inn of sorts. His first thought of course was food, but he also realized the inn could possess useful information on his current mark.

He entered the building, and managed to catch a drowsy fox, who appeared to be the inn's landlord, as he was heading down the steps. The fox stopped at the end of the steps, all signs of drowsiness leaving him as he examined the large creature and his mace from a distance. "A traveler? And a 'particularly' large one at that. Don't you think it's a bit early for business?"

"Well what can I say? I'm famished!" Gray responded with a light laugh.

"Shh!" the landlord shushed him angrily. "All right, all right. Keep your voice down please! There are beasts sleeping. Just take a seat and I'll hand you a menu," he whispered as he headed over to the bar counter. "You will have to be patient. Our cooks are still asleep, but I'll be happy to fix something up for you."

Gray nodded and seated himself at the bar counter as the landlord handed him a menu. He set his mace down and glanced over it, scratching his muzzle thoughtfully. "Lemon 'n butter troat, with a side of shrew bread."

The landlord picked up a quill and parchment. "Simple enough. Will there be anything to drink for you, sir?"

"October ale."

"As you wish." The fox placed the menu back on the stack and poured him a glass. He was about to head out to the kitchen.

"Wait. I need some information."

The fox stopped and returned to him. "Ah, information eh? Sure I hear of various things around these parts. What kind of information exactly?"

"I'm searching for a particular female polecat named Eve…" Gray briefly explained her supposed appearance.

The fox grimaced upon realizing who he may be referring to. His tone was hesitant. "Hm... well, I think I may have seen someone like that..."

Gray frowned at him. "Are you sure? Which way did she go?"

The landlord's eyes shifted to the badger's mace. "You're a mercenary, aren't you? It is not my intent to put my clients in danger. It's bad for business, you know."

The badger picked up a coin bag and set a large handful on the counter. "Then perhaps some coin will help loosen your muzzle?"

The fox smiled greedily as he gazed over the gold coins. "Ah, this polecat must be quite important to you. Very well. I saw a polecat with a similar description speaking with a large wolverine. The wolverine's presence is what made them stand out to me. He left, but the one you seek is currently staying at this very inn."

A wolverine? Could it be…?
    "She is? Which room was it?"

"Oh? Err, I believe it was room: […]" Gray stood up and grabbed his mace as he headed for the stairs. The landlord collected the coins as quickly as he could before rushing after him. "W-wait! There are people sleeping, you idiot! Don't make me call the guards!" He grabbed at him and tried to pull him back, but to no avail.

Gray thumped his way up the steps and headed over to Eve's room. The door was already half-opened. He pushed it away and peeked inside to see no one there. The landlord was still pulling at him angrily. "She's not here…" he growled in disappointment.

"Well it makes sense, doesn't it? She was here just last night. She must have known people were after her, and left early on. She can't have gone far. Now get back down this instant, or I will have you arrested! I'll make you some food, so quietly, please!"

A weasel approached them from down the hall. "Sir? What's with the badger..."

"One of the cooks!" The fox took out Gray's order and handed it to her. "My apologies for bothering you this early. Please take care of this for me while I guide this badger down the stairs."

"O-okay..."

• OOC:  Mind if I move things along a little so that we can get to some interaction with Kyr, Kiara?

BIC:  “Sounds like a plan to me.  It’s OK. You don’t have to be a master of stealth; we just have to be a little careful.”

Osgod stretched his arms out and yawned cavernously.  "That's good; I can be careful, you'll see.  Now, follow me."

A few hours later~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wolverine waded out of the tide pool, having removed his cloak and used it as a sort of sack in which to hold the mollusks which he had pried off of the rock walls of the tide-pool.

Dropping the load of shellfish onto the tide-smoothed stone which broke the ocean's surf, he nodded at Eve and squatted on his haunches in front of the small driftwood fire which the polecat was tending.  Examining his pawpads, which were oozing blood from a number of abrasions, he coughed heavily and spat out a mouthful of seawater.  As he wiped his paws on his fur, he grinned at the polecat.

"I forgot how sharp the coral in the tidepools was, Eve…  My mitts will be sore for awhile, I reckon."

The mustelid drew his knife and picked up a barnacle, examining the shellfish before using his blade to separate the
    creature's flesh from its shell.

"However, it's nothing that will stop me from dishing out a bloody good fight if we're lucky enough, and we now have food enough to last us for a few days."

Gesturing with his head towards his small pile of gear, he tossed the empty shell away and continued.

"There's a small frame and spit among my personal effects; go get it and set it up over the fire, miss.  A few hours from now and we'll have these barnacles smoke dried.  Not as good as a brace of wood doves, but good enough to survive on..."

OOC:  How should we have Gray meet up with Osgod and Eve?

• ( ooc - Nope, by all means, move it along Marsh.

As to how they meet, I know we talked about it so I’ll put it here for Kyrodo to read and see if he likes it.
    Basically they meet at night and Gary sees his target, Eve (maybe around the fire for the light). But because it’s dark out, a fight ensues. It’s only when Eve calls Osgod that Gary realizes who he’s fighting. And because they met before, all he’d have to do is just get them to follow him back.
    What do you think of that, Kyrodo? Do you have any ideas? )

–-

Eve smiled as she followed Osgod to the tide pool for them to get some food from the water there. It was good to have some company at least for now. If anything were to come up, she would have to leave him so that he didn’t get involved in anything too dangerous. Grant it, Osgod seemed to be a good fighter itching for a battle, but she didn’t want him harmed for the safety of her own hide.

Osgod knew what he was looking for, he had probably been at the tide pools before. So Eve let him go dig for the shell-fish while she got the fire. Now and then she’d look up from the fire to watch him. It wasn’t all that much she’d stay out in the open like this, especially near a fire where others can see and follow the smoke. But she had to admit, she did feel safer around him, just from the pure size of him.

She looked up at Osgod as he crouched beside her and the fire. She could tell he was bleeding, though it really didn’t bother him all that much so she decided not to make a big deal about it as well.

“ … My mitts will be sore for awhile, I reckon."

“We’ll have to take some seawater with us. It helps with the healing.” She replied back to him with a smile. “Are you sure you’re OK?” She asked, just wanting to make sure.

"However, it's nothing that will stop me from dishing out a bloody good fight if we're lucky enough …"

She giggled softly. “I take that as a yes, then.”
    Eve nodded and got up from her spot at the fire to get the frame and spit from his gear. Waddling back to the fire with them in a big bundle in her arms, she set them down and began to set up as he prepared the food.

Once done, she smiled, stepping back from the fire. “You need any help? All done with my part.” She said, looking over at him as she sat down with a relaxing sigh.

• (( All right, sounds like a plan! Let's bring on the night! ))

"Oh, thank goodness…" the fox land lord muttered. Gray had finally finished his food and left, after ordering just about everything they had on the menu.

Time sure goes by fast… Gray looked up at the sky. It was already getting close to evening. He may have indulged himself a little too much with the inn food, but he had no regrets. His plan was simply to continue heading north at a timely pace, hoping he would soon catch up to his target.

As he proceeded at his desired heading, he took notice of a pair of large tracks in the ground. He briefly wondered whether could have been from a badger like him, when he remembered what the landlord had told him. Eve was speaking to some kind of wolverine.

He reminisced on the first time he'd seen such a creature, when he'd been ganged upon by a band of sea rats. The wolverine took part in fending off the attackers, and the creature fought just as ferociously as any badger. Even with their numbers, the bandits had no hope of winning. The wolverine gave him a name, after they'd visited a nearby bar to cool off. He couldn't quite remember what it was.

That aside, if the wolverine did indeed speak with the polecat, perhaps he would know of Eve's current heading. The large tracks would be easy to follow. His only challenge would be attempting to interact with the wolverine peacefully.

–-------------------

The tracks lead him further and further towards the shore. The day was drawing near its end, and visibility was gradually fading. He was already starting to fantasize about food again. Just as his stomach started to growl, he smelled something cooking in the air. He looked up and noticed some kind of smoke in the distance. There was definitely a traveler there. Perhaps it was the wolverine he'd been tracking.

He took cover in the trees and brush, using the cover of darkness to shield his presence. He gripped his mace as he crept his way closer in the direction of the smoke.

• It is evening now…

“We’ll have to take some seawater with us. It helps with the healing.

Osgod grunted and gave the polecat an amused look.  "If you wish, although I won't need it…  ...Can heal well enough on my own."

You need any help? All done with my part.”

Rising to his paws, he glanced at the sun setting over the sea, and then at the darkening forest.

"We only have the sun with us for a short time yet.  Venture into the forest a ways and tell me if you find any trails.  'Twould be more practical for us to follow one at this point, seeing as I won't leave a path for your enemies to follow on well-trodden earth."

The wolverine wrapped the dried shellfish in some scraps of clean linen, stowed the packages in his satchel, and began to stamp out the dying campfire.

"I'll remove our traces as best I can.  As for you, stay in the forest when you have finished scouting, and I'll come find you."

• Eve slightly shook her head. "OK. We won't take the seawater if you think you don't need it. Would be a waste to carry it and you not use it." She said, following his gaze to the setting sun, then nodded to Osgod as she got up to look around for a well-beaten path for them to travel.
    "Alight. I shall see you once you finish up then." She said with a laugh as she went on her way into the forest.

the polecat made her way through the forest, going in far enough so that she could just the shore through the trees and thick-it. Then she began to slowly walk parallel to whee the trees met the sand, searching for the right path for them to follow. She had wondered how Osgod would be able to find her again. It would be dark soon and she had no idea how long she should wait for him to be finished cleaning up their site.

• Gray was not the only beast keeping an eye on the traveling companion's fire. A few acres away, on a small hill, about a score of beasts stood together quietly. All of them were wearing hooded traveling cloaks over drab brown tunics. Every now and then one of the beasts would stamp his feet or pull his cloak tighter to ward off the cold evening air. But, aside from this, there was no other noise.

The beast standing at the front of the group gave an angry snort and glanced at the sky as the stream of fire smoke finally died. "They've doused the fire," a hooded figure behind him whispered nervously.

“I can see that you idiot!” the first beast hissed in return, stepping hard on the other’s foot paw. He gave a sudden glance into the woods as a small rat, dressed in the same manner as the rest, came sprinting up to him. The leading beast pulled down his hood to stop it from muffling their conversation, reveling himself to be a young polecat. Though he was not the biggest beast in the group, his fierce eyes left no question about who was leader.

“Report,” he snapped at the rat.

“My lord Azazel, the large beast is puttin’ out their fire,” the smallish rat responded, “but your sister ‘as gone ahead alone.”

“Lord, if it pleases you, let me take to beasts and go after Eve,” a tall stoat said in a smooth tone, “I will have her before the brute can come to her aid.”

“It is a good plan, but I can think of better. I will lead the two beasts to take my sister,” Savas replied, “and you will take the rest to attack the brute. Even if you do not kill him you will provide ample distraction.” The stoat, obviously a commander of some sort, nodded in agreement. “You… and you… follow me,” Savas pointed to a lithe weasel and a brutish looking ferret. Both came to his side. The polecat turned to the stunted rat that had delivered the message and spoke again, “lead us to Eve, my wayward sibling.”

It had hardly been three minutes since Osgod and Eve had parted when Savas’s stoat captain and his party burst from the underbrush and charged headlong at the lone wolverine. Five of the vermin stopped about a hundred feet away and fired their short bows at their massive opponent. The other ten continued running at Osgod, various weapons in paw. The stoat commander, feeling quite assured of his victory, stood upon a large flat rock that stood out of the sand. “Kill the brute! Bring back his head for Lord Azazel!” he roared.

Savas had not met his sister face to face for quite some time. So, he was determined, if nothing else, to make an impression. He plotted the position of all his minions carefully. He had the large ferret and the runty rat approach Eve from the direction she had came, knowing she would be more likely to flee towards Osgod. The skinny weasel was left to block her path further down the beach. Savas himself approached directly from the trees.

As he crouched in waiting the male polecat pulled his hood up as far as possible. “It would not do to be recognized at once,” he thought. He watched as Eve made her way down the shoreline with a feeling of evil triumph. As the faint sounds of yelling reached his ears, he knew that the stoat had begun his attack. Cupping his paws around his mouth, Savas mimicked the cry of a Great Horned Owl, the agreed signal.

At once, all three of Savas’s minions came from the trees and took up their places, slowly approaching Eve. Savas stepped out of the brush and stood on the edge of the sand, both of his foot paws planted on a fallen log. While this position only added about a foot to his height, he still felt far more imposing. “Hello Eve Azazel, it is quite late for a female to be traveling alone in the north,” Savas said with a hint of cold victory in his voice, “if you are trying to avoid somebeast you really should take more caution.”

OOC: I hope the direction in which I am taking the action is fine.

• OOC:  Oop, transition, stand by for a shoddy post on my part!  Vik, are these new buggers expendable, or do you want to control them for now?  I'll leave my post as such so that you can control them for now, but if you want, Kyrodo and I can just kill them off.  xD  Kyr, looks like here would be a good place for Gray to make his entrance, eh?

BIC: Having spread the dead coals into the surf, Osgod wet his large paws and attempted to rub the scorch marks from the campfire off of the shelf of stone on which he and Eve had recently encamped.

He immediately forgot his task Savas' lackeys emerged from the forest, uttering loud yells and brandishing an array of weapons.

Dropping into a defensive crouch, he spread his heavy claws and bared his teeth in an expectant grin.

"My head, eh, little stoat?  Just come and try and take it from me…  Unrghhhh!!"

The wolverine snarled furiously as four of the arrows struck him in the shoulders and lower neck.  Ignoring the other ten vermin, he whipped his knife from its scabbard and thundered towards the archers as they placed five new shafts to their strings.  With a roar of rage, he was among them, hacking and slashing with fearsome energy.

• OOC: Yes, they are a bunch of expendables. I had the same idea that Gray would jump in to help Osgod here. The only one I want to control is the stoat on a rock. (Stoat on a rock? Sounds like a tavern.)

• OOC: Dealio. And yus, "Stoat on a Rock" does sound like the name of a tavern.  Or a mild mixed drink, possibly comprised of black tea, stout, and some apple liqueur.  xD

Recent Topics

Users

Topics