Okay, so who here has written poetry before? Probably less than half. Good. What I want to see is a little unusual: it's an experiment of sorts and I think it will be highly enlightening to ALL of us.

I will not be joining in so that I can see this happen from an unbiased poitn of view.
    What I want to see is an excerpt of writing, no word max, no word limit, no specific style or genre required. It could be about aliens if you really wanted.

The one requirement is this: it will be prose written in poetic meter, rhyming allowed, but not required. Here is a list of poetic meters and how they work.
    It you don't understand how stressed and unstressed syllables work, try saying "Virtue" out loud. Now say it will emphasis: "Virtue." You'll noticed that you naturally stress the first syllable. Congratulations, you now know how to tell the difference and don't have to go to several hours of researching stupid charts that have trouble explaining it. Smile

I want to see pieces of writing that are originally written in stanza form, using one of the suggested meters or one that you made up. It may or may not rhyme, both possibilities are intriguing.
    When you post your work here, put it in paragraph form. The excerpt that sounds the best as the voters read it out loud. I want to see what this writing form does.
    Example (I made up this meter for this):

Ca-lu Ca-lay,
    Ca-lu Ca-lay,
    Ca-lu Ca-lay Ca-lu,

Ca-lu Ca-lay,
    Ca-lu Ca-lay,
    Ca-lu Ca-lay Ca-luca

This is 4,4,7  4,4,8. Somehow, it just sounds fun to read it. It doesn't make sense, but it sounds fun. I want to see what it's like to write prose this way.
    If you write a longer pieces, you may switch between a couple different forms, a light one for a lighter part and a harsher and more active meter for something climactic.

Have fun 🙂

You have no idea how long I've been wanting to actually try this out XD I've done experimenting, but I start something and find it too difficult to complete without thinking I've written something strange. I can make descriptive one liners that sound meaningful, and that's basically as far as I've gotten on my own.

Anyway, I'll completely be willing to try this out myself to see if I can't refine this, so that I can actually start pumping out poems I can bear to read without gagging. 😛

Haha, yeah, I know what you mean. It's tough to do. 😛

By the By, peeps, voting will end on the 28th, so if you want to submit anything, you'd probably better get going on it 😉

Views