The Great Advisor of Salamandastron ((Open))

• "Now, don't worry about me, lad. It won't stop me from doing what I love to do; help other beasts with their problems. Mine aren't going to keep this great mountain in tip top shape, it's in my best interest to make others that live here realize they have bigger things to worry about, but also be stress free about things going on in their lives. We all need to live to the fullest. You never know when an evil beast might come to try and steal this fortress like many others have tried."

The sea otter nodded sagely, impressed by the older mouse's logic.  "That's a good point, mate.  I guess I wasn't really thinking about things that way…"

"Braid, it would be great if we turned this meal into a great feast. You are talking to a beast who lives on the mountain. Of course we will drink!"

Braid rubbed his paws together and chortled happily.  "Hehehehehehe…  It's been all to long since I've had a feast, Cecil, and at least a fortnight since I've had a decent full meal... This'll be a lark!"

He came to a halt inside the entry to the kitchen, an idea forming in his head.

"Say, as long as we're having a feast, why not hold it out on the beach?  Of course there's a stiff gale out there at the moment, but if I'm not mistaken, it'll mostly haul off by sundown tonight."

Grinning at his friends, he trotted over to a window which overlooked the beach and gestured grandly.

"A feast ain't a feast if'n it ain't held around a roaring drifwood bonfire..!  Nothing like stuffing yourself to the gills with hot food when it's cold outside, with the winter wind at your back and your fur being toasted by the flames..."

• “Indeed, I'm honored to be a part of it.”

Cecil smiled as Belarus turned back, "Glad to hear it."

He grinned slyly at the fox when he saw his fangs appear. "I can see why, with fearsome teeth like those, you could scare the dickens out of most. We'll drink and eat til our hearts and bellies content.

"That's a good point, mate.  I guess I wasn't really thinking about things that way…"

"Hey, when you look death in the eyes from the sight of a sword swinging down upon you, you'll realize life is a precious thing. Good thing I only lost an arm out of it instead of my head!" Cecil said, chuckling with deep tone.

Cecil looked inside of the doors following Belarus inside. "Alright you lot! Tonight we are havin' a grand feast!" The two score hare that were hovering around the kitchens for dinner started to cheer happily at the thought of it. A grand feast at Salamandastron, something that doesn't get to happen often.

"Hehehehehehe…  It's been all to long since I've had a feast, Cecil, and at least a fortnight since I've had a decent full meal... This'll be a lark!"

Cecil smiled, putting his only arm behind his back, eyes closed. "Well mate, you better loosen up a belt notch or two, things could get ugly for your stomach." He opened his eyes back up and winked at his new friend.
    "Say, as long as we're having a feast, why not hold it out on the beach?  Of course there's a stiff gale out there at the moment, but if I'm not mistaken, it'll mostly haul off by sundown tonight."

"Hmm, I'm all for it, but its up to every other beast here, I don't know if they are up for some chilly weather and a little snow." He said chuckling.

**"A feast ain't a feast if'n it ain't held around a roaring drifwood bonfire..!  Nothing like stuffing yourself to the gills with hot food when it's cold outside, with the winter wind at your back and your fur being toasted by the flames…" **

Cecil was happy to hear the enthusiasm in this younger beasts voice, his tone was so genuine. "Well, I guess that settles it. We'll get drunk, sing sea songs, and eat like a gluttonous beast by the fire!"

• Belarus shrugged optimistically “Wherever and whenever you think is best is fine by me, I’m supposed to be cold… Hmmm, of course the weather’ll keep the ale chilled nicely eh?”
    Belarus gave a closed mouth smile “Of course now the question is where’s the lord of the mountain eh, don’t want to leave him out of this do we?”
    The old fox reached into a basket on one of the tables and tossed a pear into the air and stuck in the air with the tip of one of his claw toes “Heh, another trait that can come in handy, except when give a tight paw shake.”
    He flicked the pear towards Braid “Might as well have a light snack until sundown eh?”
    Belarus picked up the basket and brought over to Cecil and Braid.

• OOC:  This may be a bit rough…  My creativity still seems to be on R&R.  xD

BIC: "Hey, when you look death in the eyes from the sight of a sword swinging down upon you, you'll realize life is a precious thing. Good thing I only lost an arm out of it instead of my head!"

Braid laughed heartily at the mouse's statement as he strolled into the dining area and gazed around at the efficient way that the mountain cooks were going about their duties.

"Hahaha, that's true, mate…  An' headless beasts allus gave me the willies..."  Grinning widely, he joined in the hare's cheers as Cecil announced his plans for a feast.

“Of course now the question is where’s the lord of the mountain eh, don’t want to leave him out of this do we?”

"Eh now, that's true…!  He might not like being left out of this sort of thing...  Hey, you!"

The otter trotted over to a group of younger hares and collared one by the shoulder.

"Hey Bucko, be a mate and go get your badger lord from wherever he's hiding himself...  He might like to know what's going on in his mountain, ye know. "

Winking at his new friends, he booted the youngster lightly towards the door.  "And be quick about it!"

Turning around, he was just in time to catch the apple which Belarus tossed him.

“Might as well have a light snack until sundown eh?”

"Thanks, matey!  I can always stand to eat, even if my stomach is anticipating a feast."  He turned around and half trotted for the kitchen doorway.

"Cecil, Bel, would any of yew two be savvy as to the location of the cellars?  I'm thinking that I want…  HEY!!"

He was jerked to a halt as a wiry paw grasped his shoulder in a grip of steel and spun him around.  Blinking in surprise, he instinctively put his paws up defensively, and was immediately punched on the snout by the skinny lance corporal who had come angrily up behind him.

"Kick my details around, eh wot?  I just happen to bloody well hold an aversion to potty beasts who run around this mountain acting like they own the place..."

Holding his hurting nose, the sea otter yanked his body away from the hare and looked accusingly at the creature.

"Ey dow, batey!  Bwat didja do dat for?  I diddet hurd hib...  Yugsters deed that sort of gendle roughig ub ebery dow ad again...  Id builds charagter!"

• Cecil grinned at Bel, "Indeed it is, friend!" He watched as Belarus brought over the basket, the middle aged mouse picking up an apple and biting into the crispy, juicy fruit. "Thanks mate! It will be nice to hold us over until our feast!"

Cecil looked back to Braid and smiled. "Ah, now I can agree with that.  Could never get a liking to them headless beasts." Cecil couldn't help but to laugh at Braids antics as he went over to the young fighter hares.
    "Now now, don't play too rough with those guys, they'll get you back. I was the butt end of one their jokes when I teased them in such a manner. Haha!" The other hares giggled to themselves remembering what they did. Some laughed from the light kick Braid gave to one of them, until the corporal arrived.. All laughter stopped immediately.

Cecil just smiled a usual friendly smile as the hares were saluting. "Ah, evening Corporal, what seems to be.."

"wham!

Cecil watched with a shocked expression from the sudden attack on Braid. "Hey!! That's not very nice ya know, he was just messing around with the young'n."
    He watched as the younger hares snickered quietly to themselves, frowning. This wasn't funny at all. Cecil casually walked over to the corporal and let his only paw rest onto the crook of the hare's neck. "I think you should go outside and cool it down, you weren't trained to treat guests like this, Corporal. He didn't do anything wrong, he's just having a little fun and trying to feel at home.. Now go and we can talk this out in a civil manner during the feast. Unless.."  One thing most hares knew about Cecil were his disciplinary methods; the other hares saw the two fingers of his paw on the crook of the Corporal's neck.

It was something he used to do which temporarily had beasts to fall weak and feel paralyzed or even put them to sleep this way when he was doing recon as a thief. Cecil also used this when he had subordinates train with him, using it as a disciplinary action when the training became tough and they refused to obey his orders and almost fight with him. "You didn't even try to talk it out with him or get his side of the story as to why he did what he did. You can't just go and punch beasts in the face. At least talk it out."

• _"Hey Bucko, be a mate and go get your badger lord from wherever he's hiding himself… He might like to know what's going on in his mountain, ye know. "

Winking at his new friends, he booted the youngster lightly towards the door. "And be quick about it!"_

Belarus shook his head with a grin “Heh, easy there Braid you aren’t a Brigadier you know!”

_Cecil just smiled a usual friendly smile as the hares were saluting. "Ah, evening Corporal, what seems to be.."

"wham!_

Belarus’s fur stood on end as the corporal’s action stirred a startling bark from Belarus “CORPORAL!!!”

The middle aged fox clamped his jaw as Cecil stepped in leaving him to let his anger sizzle down for awhile. Using force for discipline was one thing but striking a guest that had only just arrived was another, particularly considering the fact Braid was a woodlander.
    Belarus glared at the corporal with burning eyes, not literally but their attitude certainly was. The middle aged white fox mumbled to himself under his breath so that others couldn’t understand his spoken thoughts though it seemed they were agitating him further.

• The corporal ground his teeth audibly as the mouse applied slight pressure to the crook of his neck.

"Get your paws off of me, Cecil.  I'll be blasted if I let a flippin' complete stranger knock my recruits around, today or any other day!  Bally unacceptable, it is, and I don't intend to tolerate it!"

CORPORAL!!"

He glanced rebelliously at Belarus.

"We'll see what my other superiors have to say about this…"

Braid rubbed his snout vigorously and made a dismissive motion to his new friends with his other paw. 

"It's awright, mates.  I don't mind; my siblings and I are always socking each other, so being bonked by a hare wasn't a huge deal...  Just let him go and get his superiors...  I bloody well expect that I can give a good report of meself if I come under any suspicion." 

He chuckled heartily and placed a friendly paw around another young hare's shoulder. 

"Right now what I'm most interested in is getting this ol' feast started!"

• "Get your paws off of me, Cecil.  I'll be blasted if I let a flippin' complete stranger knock my recruits around, today or any other day!  Bally unacceptable, it is, and I don't intend to tolerate it!"

Cecil gave him a fierce look, he never gave a fierce look to anyone as the middle aged mouse always had a smile on his face. "Corporal, like I said, he was just messing around. You didn't have to go hit him, you could be polite about the whole situation." He slid his paws away from the hares neck and walked next to Braid.

"We'll see what my other superiors have to say about this…"

Cecil sighed and smiled to Belarus, seeing him step into the action made it easier on Cecil. He looked back over to the Corporal and frowned with disapproval. "Corporal, I think you should just go for now. Go on." Cecil turned his back to the Hare and patted Braid's shoulder.
    "It's awright, mates.  I don't mind; my siblings and I are always socking each other, so being bonked by a hare wasn't a huge deal…  Just let him go and get his superiors...  I bloody well expect that I can give a good report of meself if I come under any suspicion."

"Just becareful with your actions next time, not all of the soldiers here will take kindly to joking around. And the feast sounds wonderful, lets get this show on the road, shall we?"

• Belarus walked in a circle a few times as he continued to mumble to himself

"Just be careful with your actions next time, not all of the soldiers here will take kindly to joking around. And the feast sounds wonderful, lets get this show on the road, shall we?"

Belarus scuffed the floor with one foot claw and then looked at Cecil “Aye, I’d rather forget about this little, bump in… Hmmm, say what do you think of the leverets being around and all that? I mean we will be drinking and well you know hares.”

The middle aged fox gave a slight grin “Perhaps there’s a nice little task the good Corporal could do after all.”

• The hare glared at the fox and the mouse, turned sharply on his heel, snorted militantly through his nostrils, and exited the dining hall, complaining to himself as he went.

"High bad form, completely unnacceptable…  Some beasts have no respect for military tradition..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Braid nodded understandingly at Cecil's words.

"Just be careful with your actions next time, not all of the soldiers here will take kindly to joking around. And the feast sounds wonderful, lets get this show on the road, shall we?"

"Understood, matey.  I wish't I'd have though of that in the first place…"  Ah well, you can't get 'em all right the first time…

"The feast… Right!  If I'm not mistaken we'll have to haul some benches and a few long tables out to the beach and set 'em up there before we can haul out any vittles or drinks...  Speaking of which, we should see to it that the cooks start preparing right away."

Raising his voice, the young otter beckoned to the hares who continued to amble into the dining hall, expecting lunch.

"Cullies, it'd be matey if we could get some of these tables and benches out to the beach; the sooner we do, the sooner we carouse!"

He paused, having overheard Belarus speak to the mouse.

Hmmm, say what do you think of the leverets being around and all that? I mean we will be drinking and well you know hares.”

"Say, that's a good point…  I wonder if we could..."

“Perhaps there’s a nice little task the good Corporal could do after all.”

The sea otter grinned and nudged the fox conspiratorially.

"Suppose we could get the badger lord's permission to let the leverets go up the coast a piece and have their own outing away from their elders for once?  They'd have to go with a couple retainers, so as to be on the safe side, of course… But it would work out so that they could have their fun, and we could have ours!"

• “Aye, I’d rather forget about this little, bump in… Hmmm, say what do you think of the leverets being around and all that? I mean we will be drinking and well you know hares.”

Cecil looked back to Belarus and smiled before nodding. "I agree old friend, we'll just brush this one off. As for the youngsters around here, all should be well and merry if they behave themselves whilst drinking."

“Perhaps there’s a nice little task the good Corporal could do after all.”

Cecil chuckled heartily from the fox's grin and statement, "Aye, I think I'll have a civilized talk with him later, we'll sort it all out." He said with a grin back. The middle aged mouse looked to Braid once more as the Otter was speaking to the mouse and fox. He listened to what he had to say before replying back.

"The feast… Right! […]  Speaking of which, we should see to it that the cooks start preparing right away."

"Yes, that would be a great idea, everybeast can help move a table or two to hold the vittles and drinks, I don't think we'll need tables to eat off of though, we're going to be 'roughing' it remember?" Cecil nodded and walked over with Braid to the other hares. "Yes, please help move a couple of tables with us, I'll go run to the chefs to start preparing."
    Cecil dashed off into the kitchens as Braid talked with Belarus.

• Belarus nodded lightly “Alright, shouldn’t be all that hard to move a couple of the lighter tables down, just have to watch our step eh?”

"Suppose we could get the badger lord's permission to let the leverets go up the coast a piece and have their own outing away from their elders for once? They'd have to go with a couple retainers, so as to be on the safe side, of course… But it would work out so that they could have their fun, and we could have ours!"

The middle aged fox started to reconsider what he had said about the leverets and scratched lightly at the side of his neck “Safe… safe, yeah… perhaps we should have them between us and the mountain rather than farther away from it. I don’t know what I’d think if something happen to the little scoffers, as annoying as they can be, they can be real silly too.”

He briefly mumbled to himself again, something regarding fire, rotters, and his tail.
    Belarus stopped mumbling and twitched his whiskers momentarily “Alright Cecil, let them know we have an otter about the place!”

The fox grinned at the thought of shrimp and hot root soup.

• OOC:  Alright if I mod a bit and move things ahead by moving our chars down to the beach, Bel?

BIC:

"Yes, that would be a great idea, everybeast can help move a table or two to hold the vittles and drinks, I don't think we'll need tables to eat off of though, we're going to be 'roughing' it remember? … ...I'll go run to the chefs to start preparing."

The sea-otter nodded understandingly.

"Righto, mate, good point!  Taint no fun to eat outside if you have to sit at a table…"

Trotting over to a table near the door, he grasped one end and motioned for the white fox to grab the other.

"A paw here, Bel!  And you're right, we better watch our step hauling these things down outside, or else the tables are gonna arrive on the beach before we do.  Hahahaha!"

“Safe… safe, yeah… perhaps we should have them between us and the mountain rather than farther away from it. I don’t know what I’d think if something happen to the little scoffers, as annoying as they can be, they can be real silly too.”

Braid knitted his brow as he and the fox maneuvered the pine-plank table through the fortress gates and down the stone staircase to the beach.

"That's a good point, boyo…  Too many blasted raiders along the coast, even wid the mountain and all, ya know?  It'd be a stave-in if something happened to those leverets, I dunno what'd happen..."

• While the others were moving the tables, Cecil burst out from the kitchens, sticking a two claw into his mouth to whistle to the hares.

"Alright you lot, you're all going to have to help move large cauldrons, some logs to sit on, and some wooden bowls. Hop to it!" With that said, many of the youngsters frantically scrambled about, giggling and laughing as they did as they were asked. The ex thief sighed and smiled as he did what he could with his one arm.

"Also, some of the older ones will have to take turns patrolling the mountains with the younger ones, lest he have an invasion, we would need to be prepared at all times. Just keep rotating with each other every couple of hours." Some of the larger and more powerful hares saluted the adviser and nodded with agreement and understanding.

Cecil gripped onto his chest and coughed, kneeling on the floor. Cough.. Cough.. Cough! Blood flew from his mouth and splattered onto the floor. "Ugh.. now's not the time for this..cough!.." He panted as the coughing fit abruptly ended; slowly standing back up and wiping the blood off of his mouth with a cloth. A hare came over, rubbing the middle aged warrior's back. He cleaned up the blood on the floor for the mouse before anyone could see.

"Thanks Lad.." Cecil smiled and shoved off outside and down the steps, guiding the ones holding the cauldrons, carefully.

• OOC: Fine by me.

BIC: Belarus shrugged as he helped with the table “Yes all too true. Hmmm, at Redwall they don’t have to worry so much about this sort of thing considering they have the abbey’s grounds which are within the safety of the walls. Of course that’s a bit unnecessary for defense here considering that Salamandastron is a solid block of stone…”
    The middle aged fox sighed before continuing “Braid, sometimes I think all this warrior mindset gets in the way of fun what do you think?”

• Braid nodded sagely at the fox as they laid the table to rest on the sand in front of the mountain.

"Aye, mate, that's true…  Redwall is a far more innocent place than Salamandastron, from what I've seen today, and blow me, there's a good reason for it, too..."

The sea otter grinned at Belarus as the two trotted back towards the mountain for another table.

"I guess you just need to train your mind to divide the warrior's calling into seperate parts, eh?  One part stays ready for conflict, and the other part is always ready for a good carouse...  My father has always looked at life that way, and he's been in his fair share of skirmishes, but has always been as rowdy a seadog as you could hope to meet.  Oh, 'scuse us there."

Arriving at the bottom of the steps, he stood aside for Cecil and his cauldron-carrying detail.

"I think that after we've got everything we need from the mountain it'll be time to organize a big 'ol crew to gather driftwood for the bonfire...  We'll need lots of it if'n we're planning on going all night!"

• Cecil spotted his comrades, saluting them greatly as the hares set the cauldron down on the beach. "Howdy partners, seems like everything is in order down here!" Cecil looked back at some more of the crew who brought down plenty of barrels full of beers, ales, juices, and smaller ones with wine and liquors. They set them on the table that was originally brought out as cecil clapped a paw to his chest, listened to what Braid said about bonfires.

"Well, I'll let the crew we have now take care of that." He waved the crew off to go fetch some wood.

"Don't be too long with the other table, gentlemen." He said as a smaller group came down the steps with other types of food.

• Belarus shrugged slightly at Braid’s response “Easier said than done when you’ve spent most of your previous adult seasons fighting… It’s what I’m used to… what I’m most comfortable with. Everybeast on alert, it’s more secure at the frontlines where the enemies are than back home where every beast has their guard down. It’s stressing not knowing if some beast has your back or not, wondering if they’re awake back there or dozing silently as your foe jumps over the wall. Hah doesn’t helping be the beast with the type of nature that typically is the one doing the surprising, just makes me more aware of the possibilities.”
    He dropped to all fours and started racing up the steps “Won’t take a minute Cecil… if our visiting seadog can run as fast as he can swim, heh, heh.”

• "Howdy partners, seems like everything is in order down here!"

Braid saluted back at the mouse and hungrily eyed the drinks and victuals that the hares were hauling down to the shore.

"Righto, matey!  One more table and I reckon the feast'll be all ready, except for the bonfire, and once your crew gets back with lashings of driftwood, we can get that kindled.  Belarus and I are gonna check back in side for a piece, just to make sure we haven't forgotten anything.  Once we get outside again, it'd probably be a good idea to dig a shallow pit for the bonfire, it'll hold last longer and'll make a for a nice bed of coals for roasting apples when we decide to let it die down."

Easier said than done when you’ve spent most of your previous adult seasons fighting… It’s what I’m used to… what I’m most comfortable with. Everybeast on alert, it’s more secure at the frontlines where the enemies are than back home where every beast has their guard down. It’s stressing not knowing if some beast has your back or not, wondering if they’re awake back there or dozing silently as your foe jumps over the wall. Hah doesn’t helping be the beast with the type of nature that typically is the one doing the surprising, just makes me more aware of the possibilities.”

As he sprinted up the steps after the running fox, he ruminated over what the creature had said.

"Yarr, I suppose you're right, cully.  I wouldn't know as well as you, seeing as I've never been in a proper ol' battle before.  Betcha the Badger Lord has found it handy, having a fox fighting under him and giving him advice as to how the enemy thinks, eh?"

As the two reached the dining area again (now mostly devoid of hares), the sea otter knit his eyebrows and looked around.

"Speaking of the badger lord, where do yew suppose he's hiding hisself?  We haven't heard back from that stripling hare that I sent off a bit hence….  Perhaps Cecil might have an idea where those two are, yew think?"

• Cecil watched them go off again, chuckling in the process. He guided some of the crew who had found the firewood, to set it in a pit. They immediately went to work with the sand, making a mock fire-pit. They moved medium sized stones in a circle and set the wood up equally inside of the small circle. Another group went to fetch flat, large stones, in which they had groups carry each in a big circle around the small circle. Some of them gathered larger logs and set them down next to some of the stones, which made for more seats.

The cooking crew set the food down on the tables and the barrels of drinks next to each side of the circle, so everyone could pour themselves a mug on each of their sitting sides. Everything was going well, perhaps too well? Cecil usually had a knack when having bad feelings, but nothing tickled him tummy as of yet. Still, he was cautious of what might happen.

He waited for his friends to come back down with the last of the items, they were ready to start the feast.

Recent Topics

Users

Topics