For once, Kenji Haruki knew where he was going. The ferret walked along an old path on a blissful sunny day. Kenji had an uncanny feeling for where he was headed. He followed the way he knew was correct even as the path curved, split, and crossed others.

Kenji knew what was at the end of this path. It was the home of a a family of hedgehogs he had once visited and stayed with for several days. Now he was coming back. The house was now clearly visible about 50 feet away. But, Kenji could sense something was wrong.

Kenji could now see that the door swung idly on its damaged hinges, looking as if it had been bashed in. His heart came to his mouth as the odd feeling grew worse. Kenji pushed aside the broken door, calling their names into the blackness of the hut. As morning light shone through the now open doorway a terrible scene of bloodshed was reviled.

Kenji stumbled back, trying hard to suppress the warm bile which came to his throat. "No… no," he gasped, "who could have done this?" As if in answer to his question a strange manical laugh came from the nearby trees. Kenji drew his katana and faced the noise, getting into a combat stance. "Come out and fight me coward!" he yelled in the laugh's direction.

There was burst of leaves as a beast came flying out of the brush at extreme speed. There was the flash of metal and an object came at Kenji's head. He moved his katana to deflect the attack, barely blocking the overhead knife slash his opponent had performed. Now as Kenji looked at his enemy's face a cold terror washed over him. It was himself.

The attacker was undoubtedly, in everything but expression, Kenji. His own eyes stared back at him, bloodshot and wild. The other him had a awful grin, exposing sharp teeth. Blood soaked its once black clothing and serrated knife. To late Kenji realized his other self had the other knife in its other paw. It slammed the second blade between his ribs with a bloodthirsty cackle. Kenji felt his paws go limp as he coughed up blood. He dropped his katana and fell back, the world fading into blackness.

Kenji suddenly woke up with a sharp cry, looking about him wildly for his attacker. He found himself lying in the grass on a sunny morning far from any path or the house where the terrible scene had taken place. "It was all just a dream, just a dream," Kenji muttered to himself. Then a strange sight struck him. He was holding his serrated knife against his own ribs.

With a cry of horror Kenji threw down the knife, holding his paw as if it were possessed. "My other mind… it tried to kill me," he choked. But, there was nothing he could do now but except begin his travels again. The truth was that Kenji was quite lost, for in reality his pathfinding skills were far less than ideal.

The poor ferret had set out from Redwall a few days ago in search of solitude, and found it just a little to well. He had now run out of supplies and would have given anything for a guide. Kenji picked up his knife and sheathed with a sigh. He stood and shouldered his empty haversack to set off again. He started walking in no particular direction, wishing his belly wasn't quite so devoid of nourishment.

OOC: Kadan's profile is up, Red isn't yet.

BIC: A 28 year old red-eyed black wildcat named Red Firecross stepped through the trees grumbling to himself.

He carried with him two rapiers on his back in black leather sheathes, and a canteen and ration back at his sides. He was clothed in a black leather torso, belt and trousers, and a bright red cloak.

"What a bother. I swear we've been walking along this way for weeks!" he growled bitterly in a deep voice. "And exactly what are we searching for? Do ya even know where you're headed, Kadan or did we just decide to walk in a random direction, like a stupid beast?"

A second figure was walking alongside him, calm and content. He was a black cloaked majestic white wolf. The tips of his ears and tail were black, his ears though hidden beneath his hood. His glowing fiery orange eyes pierced through the trees. The blue-threaded hilt of a katana protruded from beneath his cloak. A broad array of other smaller weapons were hidden beneath his cloak.

His name was Kadan Blackheart, and he was still at 18 years of age. They had left the vermin camp from which he was raised two years ago to so that Kadan could explore the world. Red was ordered to tag along to keep him safe.

"Isn't this weather lovely?" he responded cheerfully in a light voice.

Red frowned and turned to stare at the smiling young wolf. "Ya've given me nothing but a headache since the beginning. Did ya even hear what I just said? Aye, 'tis a great shame I had to tag along with the likes of ye. Just remember that were it not for me, ya'd have starved and died out in that blizzard thirteen years ago."

"I remember that all too well, Red. Why, you even murmur it in your sleep," Kadan replied smartly.

"Good." Red loved to be proven right. He turned back forward as if to continue walking, then whirled back to Kadan. "Wait, do I really?" he asked in the most worried of tones.

"By the way, we're searching for a fortress-like structure called Redwall. The goody beasts there brag about the highest hospitality for all. I'm curious as to how they operate." With that, he continued walking forward.

Red followed him eagerly. "Ah, finally, some shelter! Wait just one darn minute, did you say Redwall!? Vermin everywhere have been after that place for eons! Do ya expect them to just let us walk in and give us bread 'n water!?" he exclaimed.

"Rest assured Red, they're hospitality is infamous. Long as our weapons stay sheathed, we have little to worry about." Kadan glanced up ahead and noticed a ferret wandering around in no direction of significance. He had travel gear on. Was this beast lost?

Kadan walked ahead to intercept the ferret. "Good morning!" Kadan called in a cheerful tone.

"Err, aye!" Red hastily followed up, regarding Kadan's random greet with disdain as he examined the ferret.

OOC: Err, Kadan is Kadan. Kaden is someone else. XD Kadan's a character that dates back even before my join date for Redwall's Legacy. Temperance can verify, and I have some stuff up on my DA. If it is a bother, I will change the name to something else.

OOC: It is all fine with me Kyrodo, I know Kadan is separate character from Kyrodo. I think just Eli was confused. You don't have to change his name. XD

BIC:
Kenji turned in surprise to the new voices. The ferret looked over the two beasts, sizing them up. They were carrying a lot of weaponry, but they didn't look like scavengers. Kenji decided that anything that could happen to him by talking to these new beasts was better than starving alone.

"Good morning sir, how do you do?" Kenji returned Kadan's greeting more cheerfully than he really felt. His golden eyes hungrily darted to Red's ration packs. Kenji's belly suddenly gave a low growl as if it knew what the wildcat had as well. "I'm sorry to beg you for something to eat, but I have run out of supplies," Kenji said with grimace, "if there is anything I could do to help you I gladly would in turn for a mouthful of food."

OOC: It is short, but I can't think if much more to say. If you think it is too short I can try to add some stuff. 😛

"Good morning sir, how do you do?"

"I am quite content, thank you," Kadan responded with a patient smile.

Red nodded. "Aye. My pads are swollen and sore from our long trip. I can hardly wait for a shelter in which ta rest," he added, more of a complaint than a reply.

Kenji's belly suddenly gave a low growl as if it knew what the wildcat had as well. "I'm sorry to beg you for something to eat, but I have run out of supplies," Kenji said with grimace, "if there is anything I could do to help you I gladly would in turn for a mouthful of food."

Kadan's eyes flashed, though his smile remained unchanged. "Ah, food is it? You must be quite starved, if you would do anything." His tone, though kind, had the most ambiguous hint of a mock.

Red frowned slightly at Kadan. 'Hey hey. Don't get any ideas now, you disturbed little child…' he thought. He immediately went to his ration pack and pulled out some of the vittles they had saved up. It couldn't hurt, seeing as they've nearly reached Redwall.

"Vittles ya be having matey. Ya need all but feed our curiosity. Perhaps ya could tell us yer name and where yer off to. No offense, but ya appear rather lost," he said as he approached to hand him some food.

He fetched a quick glance at Kadan, who seemed to be acting normal again and paying him little regard.

The ace of Diamonds, Malow, was off duty for the time being and decided to take the most of it. "What a fine day it is. The air is warm and fresh, unlike the cramp dead air of the camps." She continued to muse to her self, the red armor glinting in the wind. Her weapons made no clanking sound showing good fashioning.
Malows ears swiveled as she heard conversation down the road as she sniffed the air. "Hmm, I smell three dirty beasts. Perhaps they shall be of the peaceful kind and won't draw alarm on me." Her self musing continued. It wasn't long until she was in sight of the group. 'A wolf, cat, and a ferret. What an odd crowd.' The ace flashed her cuff link in the sun, making her quite visible.

"Ah, food is it? You must be quite starved, if you would do anything."

Kenji quite missed the mocking tone in Kadan's voice. He hadn't ever been a very observant beast. The former Syrean just nodded in agreement.

"Vittles ya be having matey. Ya need all but feed our curiosity. Perhaps ya could tell us yer name and where yer off to. No offense, but ya appear rather lost,"

Kenji took the offered food gratefully. The ferret was very hungry, but he answered the wildcat before eating as not to be rude. "I am Kenji Haruki and I trying to find my way to Redwall," Kenji explained, "I live there most of the time. No offense taken sir, I do seem to have lost my way."

Kenji started to eat the rations hungrily, hardly noticing Malow as she approached. He only turned in her direction when he saw the flash of the stoat's cuff link. Kenji paused in his eating to ask Red about the newcomer. "Is she with you?" the ferret asked, "how many do you have?" He didn't think about whether or not this question was his to ask.

I am Kenji Haruki and I trying to find my way to Redwall," Kenji explained, "I live there most of the time. No offense taken sir, I do seem to have lost my way.

"Ah, Redwall, you say? You appear to be in luck, seeing as we're headed for the same destination," said Kadan with a grin. Though he had passively sensed the stoat headed there way, he'd decided she wasn't any immediate threat. "I am called Kadan Blackheart. My subordinate here is Red Firecross."

Red nodded. "'Tis my pleasure to meet ya Kenj. Wait, what?" He glared at Kadan. "Since when was I YER subordinate!?" He growled for a moment before turning back to Kenji. "Aye, but 'tis a shame ya can't lead us there though, seeing as ya've already been there a few times. I find it rather ironic we're the ones leading ya back, but no sense complaining about it is there?"

"Heh, but who's the one complaining I wonder?" Kadan commented smartly.

Red growled, then looked up when the glint of Malow's cuff caught his eye. "Hm?"

"Is she with you?" the ferret asked, "how many do you have?" He didn't think about whether or not this question was his to ask.

"No, hold yer horses there, mate," Red responded with a halting gesture.

Kadan shook his head. "She's not ours. It presents little surprise we would encounter company seeing as we appear to be an odd bunch. Another new face, isn't that delightful?" he asked in an excited tone. He stepped towards the stoat and gave a polite gesture of greeting. "Hello there, madam. How are you this fine morning?"

Malow nodded at Kaden. "Greetings wolf, ferret, and wild cat, I am Malow Flash. Ah, it is a nice morn." She looked at the three for a moment, studying there weapons, the ferrets especially. "Ferret, where did you acquire that sword? I've only seen a few and none of them were in Mossflower. Are you from distant lands?" Malow spoke with calm yet authority tone. She speaks like that to every warrior she sees, an immediate thing for her.

"Ah, Redwall, you say? You appear to be in luck, seeing as we're headed for the same destination, I am called Kadan Blackheart. My subordinate here is Red Firecross."

"I'm pleased to meet yeah both, it is quite an interesting coincidence we both have the same destination in mind," Kenji commented, "I suppose this is your first visit to the Abbey, I don't recall seeing you there before." The ferret listened with a smile as Red and Kadan had a brief argument about who was in charge.

"Hello there, madam. How are you this fine morning?"

Kenji gave a nod of acknowledgment to the newcomer. "Welcome to our little gathering," he said cheerfully, "I hope you find our company to your liking."

"Ferret, where did you acquire that sword? I've only seen a few and none of them were in Mossflower. Are you from distant lands?"

"Aye madam, I am from a far away empire they call Syrea, these sword are much more common there," Kenji answered the stoat, "it is a majestic realm, but it has a blood history. Those cruel weasels, the Whitedeaths, have been ruling it for as long as anybeast can remember." Kenji hung his head sadly for a moment, recalling his own unglamorous past.

"Aye madam, I am from a far away empire they call Syrea, these sword are much more common there," Kenji answered the stoat, "it is a majestic realm, but it has a blood history. Those cruel weasels, the Whitedeaths, have been ruling it for as long as anybeast can remember."

"Ah, Syrea?" Kadan repeated with interest. "I have heard much about this empire in reading. I suspect that my similar blade has also originated from this territory, although the weapon now possesses a history of its own after finding ownership in my tribe," he mused.

"Hm, what is this Syrea you speak of? Is that on an island across the sea?" asked Red with curiosity. "The Whitedeaths? I suppose they are some kind of royal family?"

Malow huffed. "The Whitedeaths. I've heard that name before, nasty little scoundrels. You're far away from them now though." The ace looked at Red. "The Whitedeaths are scourge of weasels that take care of there selves the best and hardly think others" She paused for a moment. "hm, much like Beruda, but he has other reasons for that."
As way to show her peace, the stoat drew her robe up. Her light armor shined red and her weapons were seen. A short bow on her back with a quiver counting twenty, two small crossbows on her hip with a quiver like container holding forty bolts, a belt lined with throwing knives, and finally her pair of kriss daggers. "Just a way of showing peace in my regiment." The stoat, once again thought for a second.
"I've heard of Redwall. What I've heard is they have many well trained warriors in it. I'd love to see it." Finished she smiled at the group and put her robe back down.

"Hm, what is this Syrea you speak of? Is that on an island across the sea? The Whitedeaths? I suppose they are some kind of royal family?"

"Syrea is a ancient kingdom far to the northeast. It is connected to Mossflower by land, though it takes many weeks to travel the distance," Kenji explained, "the Whitedeaths are the royal family of Syrea, though I'm not sure if they are all bad, King Vadim Whitedeath rules us with an iron claw."

Kenji gaped at the large amount of weapons the stoat exposed as if they were nothing. "That's quite a collection you have madam," the ferret said, "I suppose you see a lot of combat."

"I've heard of Redwall. What I've heard is they have many well trained warriors in it. I'd love to see it."

"I'm sure we could take you too, unless master Kadan is opposed." he turned to the young wolf for confirmation in his statement.

Red gulped as he eyed the massive assortment of weapons the stoat possessed. "…Remind me not ta get on yer bad side, marm."

Kadan couldn't help but chuckle as he was addressed. Ah, Master Kadan, what a nice ring. He gave a polite bow. "The more the merrier, we would be more than happy to lead you to Redwall. Ah, but would you be so kind as to allow us your name, miss?"

OOC: I'm sorry I forgot.

Bic: "I am Malow Flash, The Ace of Diamonds. Oh and yes Kenji, I have been in quite a few scuffles. If you had found me but a few hours earlier you would've seen me dispatch three highway beasts. Nothing I couldn't handle though." She smiled. "Hmhm, you both are too kind."

"I am Malow Flash, The Ace of Diamonds. Oh and yes Kenji, I have been in quite a few scuffles. If you had found me but a few hours earlier you would've seen me dispatch three highway beasts. Nothing I couldn't handle though. Hmhm, you both are too kind."

"She is named after a card?" Kenji thought to himself, "it's an unusual title." Kenji hadn't ever heard of the Deck of 52. He hadn't been around Mossflower enough to see any of the organization.

"I hope there aren't any more Highway Beasts around here," Kenji continued out load, "it would be quite nasty if we were attacked." Kenji gave a nervius glance into the woods around as if he expected to see a foe beast appear any second. It wasn't the thought of being attacked in itself that he was afraid of, but what would happen to himself. After a few seconds of conflict no doubt his darker side would make itself present.

"I guess we should get moving," Kenji said, "I'm not sure since I've been lost so long, but I think Redwall is this way." Kenji pointed in the exact opposite direction from where Redwall lay.

"Interesting name, miss. Kadan Blackheart," Kadan responded with a bow.

"Red Firecross," Red dittoed. He observed Kenji for a moment and shook his head. "No offense, but yer sense o' direction is anything but amazing. Though I suppose that's what we're here for."

"Lead on, Red."

Red nodded and beckoned them to move in the exact opposite direction of where Kenji was pointing.

"I have no clue where Redwall lays, so for once I'll follow." Malow looked both ways. "So which path is the right one?" She was an excellent tracker, but she was in unfamiliar territory.

OOC:Sorry for the shorty.

"No offense, but yer sense o' direction is anything but amazing. Though I suppose that's what we're here for."

"I had a feeling that was wrong, oh well," Kenji shouldered his empty bag and followed the wildcat. He couldn't wait to get back to Redwall and finally sleep in a bed again.

"So which path is the right one?"

"I'd follow his lead, I have no real idea where we are," Kenji said with a bit of a blush, "I wasn't born with a sense of direction like most beasts."

Views