Acorn cake is a warm, crumbly cake, less sweet and more savory with a taste similar to roasted chestnuts. Perfect for cold autumn days and winter breakfasts.

Preparation of the acorn flour begins when the acorns have fallen from the tree. Gather your acorns and shell them. It is easier to shell the acorns once they have dried for a few days. Once shelled, chop or grind the acorns into small pieces and soak them in water for three to seven days, changing out the water twice a day until the acorns are no longer bitter. Acorns contain tannins that stain the water and make them bitter to the taste; acorns with smaller caps tends to have less tannin in them. Once the tannins have been leached from the acorns, mill the chopped nuts into a flour. My preference is a grainier flour, similar to corn meal. Dry and store in a cool place, such as a refrigerator, as the oils in the acorns can cause the flour to turn rancid.

Acorn Cake
    ½ cup olive oil
    1/2 cup acorn or chestnut flour
    1/2 cup cake flour or all-purpose wheat flour
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 eggs
    ½ cup honey (raw honey tastes best)
    dash of cinammon
    ¼ cup sugar (optional)

Mix the dry ingredients together, then pour in the wet. Stir until you have an even batter. Pour into cake, bread, or muffin tins, and bake for 350'F (175'C) for 30 minutes. Eat it by itself, or serve with apple butter or honey butter.

Notes Acorn cake is my signature dish at Thanksgiving meals these days. It's so yummy and very easy to make, and very filling. The acorn flour is also easy to make, just a long process. Keep it covered while the flour soaks. It can begin to ferment if neglected. I haven't tried brewing acorn beer yet, but if attended to quickly, a little fermentation shouldn't hurt the taste of the flour. I use an old blender to chop and grind my acorns, but a proper food processor would do much better. I dry all stages of my acorns in large aluminum baking pans that I leave on top of my car while I'm at work where I can get full sun, but leaving them in a stationary place would be better.