Just gonna put this here. Just for anime/manga discussion in general.

@Sierra, what are your favorite characters so far in My Hero Academia? And what do you like best about the series?

My favorite characters are Todoroki, Tsunotori and Tokoyami 🙂

What I like the most about the series is that it is a true "underdog" story… not a lot of those -that are actually well executed-. I just love seeing young Midoriya grow and face challenges that he, in no way, should be able to overcome... or so it seems.

That said, I'm loving the second season because it took the focus AWAY from him a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love the character and it's understandable that he was the limelight during the entirety of the first season, but a lot of the times it felt like "Deku + these other guys" and that never stopped feeling off, because some of the other characters had a ton of potential and personality to them and I just wanted to see more of them. Now, I'm just waiting for them to do the same with the Class 1-B guys, because of the same reasons stated above.

How about you, mate? Same questions 🙂

no idea what that is. my favs. are robotech, sword art online, and pokemo. (but that doesnt really count.)

My favorite characters so far are Uraraka and Tsuyu, and Tokoyami is also quickly becoming one of my favorites. I'll probably get more favorites as other characters get focused on.

Tbh, I really like a lot of the characters though, which is rare for me. Usually when I watch a series with a large cast, I only get invested in a few characters. I guess it helps that so many of them have interesting designs and powers, which makes me like them from the start and want to know more about them. Also, this is one of the few shonen I've watched where I really like the protagonist (usually I find shonen protagonists to be okay at best, annoying at worst)

I agree with you 100% on both points! Often times with other series I find that the protagonist isn't really challenged enough, at least for me to care. This one really hooks me, 'cause the odds really do seem impossible at times. I am definitely enjoying the broader focus in season 2, that we're getting to know more about the other students, and I'm definitely excited about Class 1-B.

What I love about the series also is how it incorporates the tropes and aesthetics of western superhero media into a shonen anime/manga. I love both genres, so this is really the best of both worlds. I mean, it's not the only superhero anime, but its the one that appeals to me most in terms of writing and plot (I'm a huge sucker for shonen genre, even though I always complain about it).

I also really love the art style of the series as well. I have a preference for more "cartoony" styles over realistic ones, and a problem I have with many anime is that they tend to all look the same. Like, how in some anime, they use identical character models for multiple characters to the point you can only tell them apart by their hairstyle or clothes. It's especially bad for female characters. Here though, most of the characters have very distinct and interesting designs, even the minor ones. The overall style itself also stands apart from other anime, like it really feels like a distinct style. So a huge draw for me is how visually pleasing and unique the series is.

Also, I'd love to know what other anime you're a fan of.

Currently, my number one fandom is Dangan Ronpa (which is technically a video game series, but it's also got two anime). I also like Little Witch Academia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, and Pokemon Adventures (the manga series). I've also watched about 20 or so other anime.

I actually did not start watching anime until college, so I ended up going through a very belated anime phase where I watched the majority of these series in the span of 1 year.

You know? I think you make a really fair point when it comes to your average anime protagonist. Most of them do face challenges, but it is not such a shocker than they can overcome them (like Slam Dunk! is my all-time favorite anime, but Hanamichi IS an athletic guy, so it's not so much a surprise to see that he can, indeed, play basketball to a certain degree) but that's precisely what makes me love Deku so much… they flat out present him as the useless type, the kind that won't get anything done (and I love that other characters look down on him throughout the entrance exam and the early school arch due to his reluctance to use All For One) but then he does and I'm like "YES!".

I think it is safe to say that the minefield bit of the obstacle race has become one of my favorite anime moments. It feels so earned.

I also really like the way in which "My Hero Academia" mixes Western influences with an otherwise very traditional anime (All Mighty's design is a winner every time - especially when he's shown wearing that silver age costume... and the fact that they acknowledged it made me smile hard). But I gotta admit that some of the colorful and -sometimes- intricate designs sometimes worked against my enjoyment of the shots. I found Kouda's design and body language to be distracting at best... and I'm not even sure why. Maybe they just need to fleshing him out a bit more, because I only ever recall seeing him as bait for Tokoyami's Dark Shadow to ambush villains at the Squall Zone.

I happen to agree with you on the art style as well. I honestly think that going the extra mile to make sure that every character had a very unique and distinctive design really paid off for them. Whether it is the rock-powered roll call on the first opening or the fast-frames of the entire ensemble on the second, you can pick most of them apart at a single glance, which isn't very common at all for anime, as you said. I just wish more anime did this, as it can be very annoying to find the ones you are rooting for on crowd shots.

I'm a fan of the following anime: Slam Dunk!, Kuroko No Basuke, Major!, Ranma 1/2, Captain Tsubasa, His and Her Circunstances (I still have to finish it, though), Angel Beats!, Your Lie in April, Sailor Moon, Hamtaro, The New Adventures of Kimba: The White Lion, Sakura Card Captor, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokémon, Digimon: Tamers (although I do like them all), RWBY (if that even counts), Dragon Ball (only the original) and I'm definitely missing a few here. Will have to go back to you on that one 🙂

That Little Witch Academia sounds very interesting and I'm tempted to give it a go! Thanks for the recommendation, mate 🙂 Oh and I also read the Pokémon Adventure original manga... liked it quite a bit.

I actually can relate to you on that one, since I stopped watching anime a couple of years in and only got back to it a few years back, during college. I'm glad you are enjoying it this much!

@stargazette:

O.O nevermind.

Don't be afraid of joining the conversation, my friend. Both doggo and I have stated knowing of the world of Pokémon and would love to discuss it with you :)!

Besides, I'm very interested on Sword Art Online… can you tell me more about it? 🙂

crashes through the wall in full costume Did someone say Pokemon?!

Who thinks Snivy is the best starter? 😉

Charmander for the win. Fire types rule.

What gen are you guys fans of? I'd say Gen 1 without a doubt, as it is still my favorite one twenty years later 🙂

I also love gen 1, it's still got the classic appeal. gen 7 has a lot of my new faves, so it's my other favorite generation. Gen 3 has nostalgic appeal to me, even though I don't really have many faves from that gen, just because it was the first new generation that came out after I got into Pokemon. I have weird mixed feeling toward gen 4, cause on one hand it wasn't that great, but on the other hand those were the first games I played, so I also have nostalgia for it.

Gen 1 is what got me started, the original 150-151 got me hooked. Gen 2 also got me even more hooked with its new additions and then Gen 3 just added more icing to the cake.

Gen 4….it felt okay.

Gen 5 is when I met my FAVORITE water starter, Samurai otter most honarabue.

Gen 6....brought a bit of life.

Gen 7 instantly got me hooked back in. XD

Gotta admit that Gen II is my favorite one to play.

Once your rival shows up with that Sneasel -which the game won't allow you to have until the very end, when it's useless… darn you, game xD- there's no coming back.

I don't really like Gen III nor IV, save for some very specific Pokémon such as Treecko, Lucario and Buizel. In fact, I only beat Ruby and Pearl just once and never got back to either one. I don't know, I wasn't much of a fan of some of the changes made around those... especially getting rid of the day/night cycle on the aforementioned Hoenn one. That was the main thing that hooked me to the Gen II games.

Gen V I like a lot, but I'd consider it pretty forgettable hadn't it been for the anime.

Haven't played anything since.

I started playing Pokemon on my Game Boy Color with the Gen 1 games. I grew up from there, and discovered every following Generation onwards. Nowadays, I have no preference, though if there was only one choice, it would have to be Gen VI (X and Y).

Gen V (Black/Black 2 and White/White 2) are quite nice and enjoyable. But X and Y blew my mind. I have yet to get my hands on Sun and/or Moon, but from the gameplay I've seen, it obliterates X and Y.

There is no other video game series that has impacted my life more than Pokemon. I've even cosplayed as Pokemon Trainer a few times going to Comic-Con!

… great. i have never played the games. only ad som of th books and ached some of the epsodes. my officail fav. is the lendengery Suicune. love him. my fav. types are the tie of water, dragon, and fire.
Sword art online (sao) is a series where this guy create virtaul reality. REAL VIRTUAL REALITY! or... as real as they could get. and the creator is evil. he made the players STUCK in it. they cant log out,if they die in the game,the really die, and if anyone tries to get tyem out in the real world, a feature in the helmet... melts their brain. the series foces on the player kirto (kitty-toe), who was a beta- tester (also known as a beater. [beta-cheater]) and got to the highest level in tye game. They have to get to the 100th floor to get out of tye game.

Ah cool! My favorite types are bug, ghost, and poison.

I am familiar with the plot of SAO, but I have never watched the series, only read some crossover fanfiction that reference the plot. It's definitely a very interesting concept.

Thanks a lot for the quick summary, Star 🙂

Much like doggo, I have heard of the series but have never watched any episodes. You made it sound really interesting, though… I'm gonna give it a try at some point!

My favorite Pokémon types are Dragon, Poison, Dark and Ice 😄

Also, I would like to say that I'm enjoying this multi-topic conversation way too much. You guys are awesome to discuss stuff with 🙂

Views