Full Name: Captain Arvin Cindertail
Nicknames: The Runt (not to his face), Cindertail
Species: Red Fox
Occupation: Pirate Captain of The Dark Deceit
Moral Alignment: Evil
Arvin is bit of a runt. He is shorter and weaker than most foxes his age. His fur is fairly standard of his species, red with a white muzzle and belly. The exception to this is his tail. Unlike other foxes his tail is kind of scraggly and black. This is due to an incident with a cooking fire in his childhood. His eyes are sky blue, and very bright. Arvin wears a pair of black breeches, the only part of his outfit that fits. He wears big old sea boots and a red, gold trimmed captain’s coat, both too big for him. The boots are particularly too big, and frequently trip him. Atop his head he wears a simple black tricorne hat. To help keep his overly large coat on and hold his weapons Cindertail wears a black belt with a large, shiny brass buckle around his waist.
Arvin loves all things shiny. So, he tends to wear a lot of jewelry. He wears a golden ear hoop in each ear and a silver one in the left. On his right paw he wears a golden bracelet decorated with various sizes of diamonds. His fingers are dotted with various rings of precious metal and gems. He has a rather big cutlass that he wears thrust through his belt on his left side. On his right side he carries two daggers. He is the captain of the two-masted schooner The Dark Deceit. Stained and painted black, and with black sails, the ship is meant for speed and stealth. Fast and easy to handle, it is prized for raids. It carries a fair sized crew of about 70-100 and is mostly used to raid merchant ships by boarding, often at night. The crew keeps oars and long poles in case of the sails being down for stealth or an extra burst of speed on the already quick ship. The ship has somewhat a secret weapon, a ram hidden under the waterline. This is really only used in last ditch attempts though, normally The Dark Deceit is too fast to be caught.
- Arvin is very good at jumping from years of working on rigging and aiding in boarding actions. However, his natural agility is often inhibited by his oversized boots.
- He is a strong swimmer. The other pirates joke if Arvin had a swimming contest with a fish, the fish would drown first.
- Arvin has a keen survival sense. He may not be the brightest or the strongest chap, but he knows when to keep his head down.
- Arvin is a wimp, and his crew knows it. The only reason they follow his command is because they know his big brother will get them if they don’t. He is a runt, and trips over his own clothing.
- Arvin is a coward when attacked directly. If he is watching his crew attack his enemy from a safe distance he acts tough as nails. But if you charge him head on, he’ll just run.
- Cindertail isn’t the brightest. The fact that he once sat down in a cooking fire about sums it up.
From his character, Arvin is anything but a pirate captain. He was born a runt, always in the shadow of his big brother, Bloodtail. They both grew up on the ship of their father, an old pirate himself. When they were still little Arvin sat in a cooking fire completely accidentally, though he claims he tripped backwards. The crew laughed about the incident, and Cindertail’s new surname, for months. As soon as Bloodtail was old enough, he took command of his own ship and Arvin became his first mate. They sailed across all the known seas and soon the name of Bloodtail became feared everywhere. Bloodtail is a true dread pirate, cruel and vicious. To be his ally is to put your life at risk, and to be his enemy is to throw it away.
At one point Bloodtail seized another pirate ship and made it his own. Arvin requested to be captain of the new ship, and Bloodtail let him. Arvin decided to call his new ship The Dark Deceit. The crew of the new ship hardly wanted to listen to Arvin, but Bloodtail kept them in line. The threat of having Bloodtail's wrath come down upon them keeps them obedient to Cindertail. The Dark Deceit now acts as the scouting and ambush ship of Bloodtail's fleet, as well as raiding independently.
Father - pirate, presumed dead
Mother - unknown, may not be the same as Bloodtail's mother
Brother - Captain Nicolo Bloodtail