Favorite Redwall book and why?

I thought it would be fun to discuss your favorite book in the series and your reasoning behind the choice.

I'll start lol! My favorite by far is Mossflower I love the idea of guerrilla warfare against a tyrant. This book introduces Gnoff, who is one my favorite literary characters ever! I love Ferdy and Coggs too! Hoglets are the best! I feel it gives the backstory to the founding of the abbey and I just love that concept! Also Martin the Warrior is in it and he is awesome!

So what is your favorite?

Rakkety Tam. Love the poetry and the accents and the hares and…. well, everything about it.

Outcast of Redwall over here. One of the few Redwall stories with a actual "neutral" character that the species division didn't apply to (I am talking about Veil)

My favourite of the series is Mossflower, for a few reasons.

The Greeneyes family had a really interesting dynamic to me, for a start. Though we only saw him in action briefly, Verdauga to me was another one of those minor characters that managed to capture my imagination far more than I think Jacques may have intended. We know he conquered Mossflower and put down a rebellion led by a badger, feats I'm not sure were ever repeated in the series. However, in his time ruling it seemed to me he was portrayed as a reasonable, if strict source of authority, and was making a genuine effort to prepare his son for a future of leadership. He also had a tantalisingly vague backstory as being the son of one King Mortspear who ruled in the Northlands, which suggests the Greeneyes family has a long legacy of conquest and rule.

Tsarmina was a great main villain of the piece. Murdering her father and imprisoning her brother for the sake of seizing power really set up quickly just what sort of ruler she would be. I also loved how much of a warrior she seemed to be herself, since a lot of villains tend to be shown up as cowards at heart. Not Tsarmina, she's leaping over walls and chucking spears at squirrels and genuinely living up to her warlike family's legacy. Gingivere's also an interesting kettle of fish since he clearly never wanted power in the first place, but might've actually been able to end the oppression of Mossflower had he been able to take it before his sister.

I enjoyed these characters and their interactions quite a lot. It's safe to say the wildcat characters I've written on this site owe a lot to the Greeneyes. I think Jacques may have tried to replicate that kind of dynamic again in the Felis family, from High Rhulain. A warlord father and two rival siblings, with the addition of their mother. I don't think this was as successful though, since the characterisation to me wasn't quite as nuanced.

Anyway, my gushing about the Greeneyes aside, I also liked that this story had the usual power dynamic reversed, with the villain characters having the powerful fortress and the heroes having to make do with hiding in the forests and in a secret lair. It gave it an odd sort of 'Robin Hood' quality to me, especially with Gonff's characterisation and the bumbling nature of minor villain characters like Cludd, who could be an excellent stand in for the Sheriff of Nottingham. It also gave us Mask, an unusually quiet sort of hero that was all about deception instead of strength. His outfoxing of Fortunata I thought was pretty well handled seeing as she was supposed to be quite cunning herself. I have to say though, the method of her execution was quite dark, since she was lured out into the woods only to face a firing squad.

Overall though, I think things like that made the story a lot stronger and more memorable. Sad moments and character deaths, and the overall atmosphere of danger and oppression made the triumphant moments and the hero's victory seem that much more well-earned. It also had a variety of interesting minor characters and subplots, like Ashleg's eventual desertion, Argulor's strange obsession with trying to eat him, the comic duo of vermin chasing Martin, and the introduction of the Loamhedge Abbey characters, which tied the series' canon together nicely. It made the story's world feel more alive and full of interesting goings-on outside the main plot.

Hm. Out of the entire series?? I might have to chose Mattimeo.

And why?

I loved the way I was kept in suspense all the time and I was always wondering what's going to happen next. And I don't think I can ever get into too much detail like Gerns did, but I can try. 🙂

As I said before, I loved the suspense and not knowing what the characters were going to do next. And I liked the action that happened in the beginning, in the middle, and at the end. And the tradgedy made it even better. (I hope I didn't sound too morbid.) What I mean is that because you got attached to certain characters, it's when they died that the grief becomes real to you and you cry out for blood (in the book, not in real life) for them. If you need examples, Logalog and Rollo's mum (Mrs Bankvole?). Logalog came in the first book, Redwall, and from there it was a deep relationship between him and Matthias.

Cheek is also an interesting character as well, and I based my character, Fangheart, on him mostly. And in this book I find that I appreciate the hares and badgers more as well.

Though I do admit, I really do need to re read the entire series again, just so I can fall in love again with Redwall.

I have a confession to make: Lord Brocktree was the first book I ever picked up in the series. It was in elementary school, and my classmates got me into it. I was hooked instantly. But my favorite will always be Martin the Warrior. Why? Because I see so much of myself in Martin, and of my namesake character. Jared is partially based on Felldoh, he's my hero. There's also some Rakkety Tam influence as well.

So my favorite three books of the series are: Martin the Warrior, Lord Brocktree, and Rakkety Tam.

I have the hardest time in the world picking a favorite book!! But I think it would be Mariel of Redwall. Mariel reminds me of myself and also of some of my (none Redwall) characters.

The origional to me was the best.

I like the genra of anthro med evil fantasy with out magic and the first book introduced the style to me. I remember bringing that book to resturaunts because i was so hooked on it.

I will be honest and say that the rest of the books dont thrill me like the first.  I am a heavy vermin sympathizer and I connected more with the minnions of the villain rather than the villains.

All of which would eventially die in horribly gory ways or be merclessly slaughtered by the heroes while they spouted righteousness against the vermin for their evil murderous ways XD

Rest assured a lot of them very likely deserved it but I tended to root more for them than the heroes anyways ^^

There are other reasons of course but eitherway the first book was and will always be my favorite.

@coolcoyote:

The origional to me was the best.

I like the genra of anthro med evil fantasy with out magic and the first book introduced the style to me. I remember bringing that book to resturaunts because i was so hooked on it.

I will be honest and say that the rest of the books dont thrill me like the first.  I am a heavy vermin sympathizer and I connected more with the minnions of the villain rather than the villains.

All of which would eventially die in horribly gory ways or be merclessly slaughtered by the heroes while they spouted righteousness against the vermin for their evil murderous ways XD

Rest assured a lot of them very likely deserved it but I tended to root more for them than the heroes anyways ^^

There are other reasons of course but eitherway the first book was and will always be my favorite.

I've got to say; I felt the same way about the vermin in the books. Towards the last few books I read I would bet myself how long it took for my favorite vermin character to die horribly.

All the same, I feel Pearls of Lutra or Salamandastron were probably my favorite books. Pearls of Lutra because of the Corsair-Lizard conflict and because of Romsca. Salamandastron because of having the best of the Redwall series villains, Ferahgo, and the interesting father-son dynamic he and Klitch had.

My favorite is "Mariel of Redwall" and "The Bellmaker" is a close second, love both of those books  for the same reason; the two books had my favorite characters of the entire series. Mariel, Hon Rosie, Tarquin, Dandin, the naughty dibbuns, etc… Those books were so much fun.
Also had a lot of gritty toughness that I like, Storm/Mariel was such a survivor.

Views