Attic Trouble (Open)

• (OOC: Be my guest! join in! Sorry for not coming sooner, got a bit busy)
    IC:

Femble jumped as Carter asked here what she was cooking.
    Oh, er… at the m moment,  Redwall abbeyscones, Mossflower wedge and g Great hall cake. D do you m mind f fetching s some October ale and Strawberry cordial?she asked the burly otter, her paws sticky with Great hall cake mixture. She dashed to the oven and to check the Redwall abbeyscones which were red and square, and were cooked perfectly. Hastily she put the tray onto the windowsill to dry, but not before checking outside for prying eyes.

• "How about i stead we send our fine young foxy friend here instead?" Bill had to snap Rascal out of the food induced haze he was in. The fox was drooling. He was sorely tempted to take the pies and run but a full thief never ran very fast.

Not that the guards would have let him out of their sight to do so anyway…

"What? Oh uh, sure!" The fox turned towards the cellar, getting his paw stuck in the chair he was on. Almost falling flat on his face the fox took off down the stairs. If anything he could do to make the pies cook faster, and therefore end up faster in his gut, then so be.

"In the mean time, Carter we need to talk." The otter nodded gravely. He moved towards the hare and took the seat the fox had, spinning it so the otters belly rested against the back of the chair. "So what are we going to do with him?" Asked the otter.

"I don't have the heart to throw a beast out into the night. But the guard captain would tan my hide if I just let him stay too." Bill replied. "Carter nodded his head. "Niether of them seem particularly dangerous. The fox is an obviouse thief..."

"Don't remind me." Bill pulled at his ears. "I need to find a job where he can be watched, but you know beasts wont appreciate it if we just straddle him with the first beast that comes our way. And we cant have him getting under paw..." little did they know that they were with in ear shot of the friar.

And little did Rascal know he was being talked about. Coming down the stairs the young fox stopped and waved slightly to the otter and squirrel. "Oh! Hello. I uh, came down for some strawberry ale and october cordial." Another pause, "Reverse that."

• Serena was a lot more relaxed after she had been talking to Bard for a few minutes, but when Rascal suddenly came down the stairs, her calm dissolved. She jumped, and in doing so, spilled her strawberry fizz all over her arm, which also surprised as it fizzed. She almost crawled back into her barrel, but resisted the urge.

"D-don't scare beasts l-like that!"

• (OOC: Sorry for not posting, school's started…  :-X)

Bard heard Rascal walking down the stairs to the cellar, and was about to warn Serena when he tripped himself while getting up, breaking his glass on the floor just as Serena spilled her strawberry fizz on herself, creating a real mess. Turning to Rascal, now slightly annoyed at the mess the fox had inadvertently caused, he said "Can't you knock?", and turning to the trembling Serena, as to emphasize his point, "You nearly scared this poor thing to death!"

"Oh! Hello. I uh, came down for some strawberry ale and october cordial." Another pause, "Reverse that."

Bard loosened up a little. "Oh, uh, the October Ale's down the hall and to the left, and the Strawberry Cordial's right below it, two barrels down." Calling after Rascal as he walked down the way Bard pointed to, Bard called out to him "And could you get a broom while you're down there? I broke a glass." Taking a towel from a nearby rack, he began to wipe down the table and clear off some of the glass from his broken vial. "Sorry about that. Now where were we, oh, right." Turning back to Serena while he worked, he inquired,"So you've been alone for most of your life? Don't you have any parents?"

Zach

• OOC: School… In august? I'm so sorry. I'm homeschooled and I have no clear school year, but it generally doesn't start until like september.
    IC:

After the interruption, it took Serena a moment to realize Bard had asked her another question. Her parents? Memories sprung unbidden to her mind and she saw herself trying to wake her dead mother up after the band of weasels had gone on.  The squirrel didn't say anything for a long moment as she tried to stop the tears that were running down her cheeks.

"I-I used too.." Was all she managed to get out before her voice broke and another wave of tears helped create the damp furrows through the fur on her cheeks.

• (OOC: It's not too bad, only online classes at the moment. My on-ground school doesn't start until August 18th, but since I'm a senior, and transferring to a new, private school from a public one, I have to get certain classes done that I wouldn't of had to do at my old school, so I have to do some online since I have around 10 classes this year, 8 per semester. :P)

"I-I used too.."

Bard saw Serena swell up with tears after his question, and he knew immediately what she was dealing with. "There there, it's going to be alright. Listen, you're going to have a family right here in the Abbey, I'll make sure of it. Everybeast here cares about each other, and I know that you won't have to be alone ever again. I do have to admit to you though, I know what you're going through. Both my mother and father passed away too, they were attacked by a flock of jackdaws while picnicking at Saint Ninian's. I saw them first, straggling through the gates, father bleeding out, carrying mother's body in his arms. I got them to the infirmary as quick as I could, but it was too late for both of them. Knowing that I failed to save even my own parents has kept with me a long time." Bard looked off in the distance at Rascal getting his drinks. "That was ten years ago." He muttered after a long pause.

Looking back at Serena, who was still crying, he offered her his handkerchief, "It seems we share more than just spilled Strawberry Fizz. I'll tell you what, I'll put in a recommendation for you to be my assistant up in the infirmary. Would you like that?"

Zach

• OOC: Feel like this post is meh.

BIC:
    Rolling her shoulder to adjust the sack that was slung over it Nova hopped over the ditch and padded up to the gate "Killing me, one stalk of grain doesn't seem like much but when you pack a bunch of it feels like you're carrying a drunken hare."
    Shifting the sack again the white vixen freed a claw and slammed her fist against the gates. She had to wait a minute or two before she heard anything as one of the gatekeepers came hobbling half-awake from the gatehouse "Hello, who's knockin out dere?"
    Nova flared her nostrils and gave a snort "A big white fluffy bunny carrying enough grain to crush a stripedog? Who do you think it is!"
    "Eh?" The bar locking the gate groaned as the keeper removed it so he could crack open the gates enough to see who had knocked "Oh, you've been out late; been a couple days since I've seen you?"
    The mouse opened the gates and smiled "Welcome back."
    The white vixen bobbed her head a little in courtesy to the gatekeeper "Thank you, wasn't entirely sure if anyone would hear me at a time like this. Sorry to have wakened you."
    He chuckled as he closed the gate "Tis not a problem, if it bothered me I wouldn't be a gatekeeper."
    Nova trundled off towards the abbey as the mouse went back into the gatehouse. Nova slipped into the Great Hall and poked her head into the kitchens to see the two guards and the Friar "Oh hi, I wasn't expecting you to be up already… And why do we have guards in the kitchens?"

• While Bard told of his own parents demise, Serena was able to dry her eyes somewhat. She liked this otter, and felt much closer to him after a few minutes than anybeast she had met her entire life, excepting her parents, which had almost twelve years ago.

"The beasts that attacked my parents… I think they were weasels... I was in the undergrowth.... They didn't see me..." Serena said as she took the offered handkerchief and dried her face.

"I'll tell you what, I'll put in a recommendation for you to be my assistant up in the infirmary. Would you like that?"

"Well…. Yes... But I don't know very much about healing beasts.."

• Rascal takes a moment to find the drinks, being unfamiliar with the lay out of the cellars. He his sorely tempted to drink a few bottles while out of sight. But the beasts here were already so mercifull to him.

Instead he gobbles down a few apples from a near by basket before making the short treck back up the stairs.

Both guards turn towards the vixen who has entered the great hall. "Nova!" Carter throws his arm wide from where he sits, "Ye bushy tailed lass! Long time no see!"

"Indeed." Bill nods in greeting to the beast. "We were starting to take bets on if you got carried off by an eagle or just got lost out in the woods."

"Don't forget the snake. I voted caught by a snake." Carter adds in. The two beasts didnt know the vixen too well, mostly due to different work shifts. But in an abbey this size it was possible to bump into everyone at least once. "Hey, maybe she could help us with our particular problem."

The hare leans back in his chair rubbing his chin, "Actually…she might." Bill turns towards the fox a d replies, "We had a couple of beasts sneak into the abbey. A young fox and squirrel, both came in for different reasons. While they havn't done anything 'too' hostile, they hav'nt given me much reason to trust either one of them either."

"Bard's down stairs talking with the squirrel in the cellar. Femble sent the fox down there as well to grab some drinks for the pies she is cookin. Want a slice?"

• "Well…. Yes... But I don't know very much about healing beasts.."

"Neither did I when I first started out. I learned over time from the infirmary keeper before me, and took over around twenty years ago when he retired. But the job isn't just dealing with death, you know. There's lots of free time, most of the chores you'd have to do as a dibbun would be light because of you already working in the infirmary, not to mention that plenty of dibbuns get bruises and cuts so you can still meet plenty of beasts your own age." While Bard was talking, the smell of warm scones began to waft down into the cellar. Bard's stomach growled. "Sorry, I haven't eaten anything since lunch. Listen, why don't we go up with the others, get a scone or two, and try and figure out what's going to happen next. I know I'm already going to get in trouble for the broken glass down here, but I'll explain what's going on to them, and I think they'll understand. Bill and Carter are normally sensible."

Zach

• {"Nova!"}
    {"Ye bushy tailed lass! Long time no see!"}

Nova twitched her nose and let a slight smile creep out from the corner of her mouth as the otter threw his arms wide open.

{"Indeed."}
    {"We were starting to take bets on if you got carried off by an eagle or just got lost out in the woods."}

That remark earned a raised eyebrow from the white vixen "Oh really now, betting eh?"

{"Don't forget the snake. I voted caught by a snake."}

Nova recoiled slightly and held up one claw "Ahh, if it had been anything it would've been pike. Yikes I hate those things! But a snake, just don't look it in the eyes."
    She tilted her head thinking of further comment on how to avoid looking a snake in the eyes, preferably by removing them, but it wasn't exactly appropriate to point the option out to them.

{"Hey, maybe she could help us with our particular problem."}
    {"Actually…she might."}

"Wat?" Nova turned her head slightly to the left so only her left eye was looking at the two guards.

{"We had a couple of beasts sneak into the abbey. A young fox and squirrel, both came in for different reasons. While they havn't done anything 'too' hostile, they hav'nt given me much reason to trust either one of them either."}
    {"Bard's down stairs talking with the squirrel in the cellar. Femble sent the fox down there as well to grab some drinks for the pies she is cookin. Want a slice?"}

Nova furrowed her eyebrows a little and tilted her turned head towards them a little rather cautious on hearing that a new fox was about "What sort of fox are we talking about here and how did he act... And how do you intend 'me' to help?"

• Femble jumped and spun around as Nova came into the kitchen bearing a sack. She calmed down as she saw who it was and smiled nervously, her H hello being drowned out by Carter and Bill. She waited for the banter to calm down as Nova posed her question.
    W well, s since y you are a f fox, I g guess y you w would n know w what t to d do w with h him. Th those t two th think h he sh should b be p punished b but I d dont s see w why. H he h helped m me out of th the attic, and w when I w was st stuttering, he offered me his v vest t to k keep m me w warm b because h he th thought I w was c cold. As f for th the p purloined f food, all b beasts are w welcome t to the f food h here. How m many t times d did y you t take f food w when y you w were a d Dibbun?` she asked looking at the otter and hare, and sizing Bill up.

• ((I don't think Serena would be considered a dibbun anymore, she's fifteen years old which is not a dibbun. She may act slightly like a dibbun with her shyness, but that's just her nature.))

"Well… I think that would be nice.. To be your assistant..." She said after she thought about it.

Then Bard's stomach growled and he said they should go up and explain things to the other beasts, the thought of that didn't make Serena very happy, but she nodded anyways, "Okay... As long as I get to stay with you... I don't like the other beasts.... Carter and Bill..."

• Bill smirked at the friars comment about punishment. The beasts may not be too dibbuns anymore but they were all so young. They wouldn't understand until they were older.

"I wouldn't use the word punished so much as…well, yeah punished. The fox also stole some silverware too if you will remember." Bill added and saw the raised eyebrow the fat otter guard gave him, "Just because you do nice things doesnt mean you have the excuse to do bad...."

The hare sighex deeply. He could feel he was losing thr argument before it even began. "Listen, this 'Rascal' is going to be coming up the stairs any moment. If you don't want me to arrest him then what /do/ you want me to do with him?" He asked everyone in general.

Carter the heavy set otter chuckled. "Rascal, heh, there is a name that instills confidence." He leans back in his chair and stretches. "I say just let the incident slide but keep an eye on him. If he does anything else against the law then just kick him out."

Thankfully the fox in question appeared at the cellar door too late to hear the conversation. He certainly LOOKED like a rascally fellow. A slender red furred fox with hints of brown fur mixed into his pelt. The vest he wore over his chest was made of cloth and left his belly exposed. Under the vest he wore some kind of leather sword harness with empty knive sheeths strapped to it.

Drink in either paw the vulpine raised the bottles and said, "Found them! They were tucked away behind the...." Rascal paused for a moment to stare at the white furred vixen.

"Wow it's just raining foxes down on you guys tonight isnt it?" Crossing his arms the young fox chuckles, "So where did they find you? I was hiding in the attic."

• @Serena:

((I don't think Serena would be considered a dibbun anymore, she's fifteen years old which is not a dibbun. She may act slightly like a dibbun with her shyness, but that's just her nature.))

(OOC: Sorry about that. In all my years reading Redwall I never discerned between dibbuns and young adults in the books, I just thought of it as a general term. I dunno, maybe Bard thought the same, that her shyness made her appear younger, I honestly don't know. But if I offended you in any way I apologize profusely.)

"Okay… As long as I get to stay with you... I don't like the other beasts.... Carter and Bill..."

Bard smiled. "Alright. I'll make sure they don't do anything stupid, knowing those guys, they're probably arguing over what to do with you and that fox right now." He got up, stretched a little, and began walking towards the stairs that led up to the the kitchen, hoping that Serena would follow.

Zach

• Nova bobbed head to femble politely "Hello Friar."

{W well, s since y you are a f fox, I g guess y you w would n know w what t to d do w with h him. Th those t two th think h he sh should b be p punished b but I d dont s see w why. H he h helped m me out of th the attic, and w when I w was st stuttering, he offered me his v vest t to k keep m me w warm b because h he th thought I w was c cold. As f for th the p purloined f food, all b beasts are w welcome t to the f food h here. How m many t times d did y you t take f food w when y you w were a d Dibbun?`}

The white vixen let her eyes nervously roam a little, I know what we'd do back north but here, they really expect me to know what to do with him here?

Next Bill tried to explain his reasoning on the situation and it was obvious he thought everyone was in disagreement but then he said his name, Rascal to Nova it sounded like the type of name they'd give to a dibbun.

{"I say just let the incident slide but keep an eye on him. If he does anything else against the law then just kick him out."}

Nova's eye lit up and she grinned a little "Yes, let it slide. He's new here afterall and I'm certain the other dibbuns'll have some fun with him in the morning."
    She thought about when they tied her tail to the back of her chair at breakfast last week but then her thoughts were interrupted by the subject who appeared at the cellar door. Inspecting him to see if he was a threat, and finding that rather comical after seeing him she strode over to the grinding wheel in the kitchens and put some of the grain in it.

{"Wow it's just raining foxes down on you guys tonight isnt it?… So where did they find you? I was hiding in the attic."}

Sitting in the seat next to the grinding wheel she slipped her hind claws onto the pedals and clasped her fore claws together behind her head "I came into the abbey a short while ago. And why exactly were you hiding in the attic?"

At the last word she started pedaling the grinding wheel to turn the grain into flour.

• It is clear that Bill's definition of Dibbun needs to be updated. This red furred fox is in his late teens to early twenties. But then again when one is in their early 30's like the hare one tended to see little difference between youths and youthfull other than size.

Setting down the bottles of spirits first the fox turned to glance at his fellow fox. "Heh, who doesn't want to get themselves locked in the upstairs attic?"

In truth the fox was merely hiding after being caught stealing pastries in the kitchens. He had pushed the hare guard, by accident of course, into the wine barrol when he got to close to finding him. Why Carter had taken the blame for him still eluded the fox but it was a matter he could find out later in private.

He honestly still felt out of place, being caught as a thief but…nothing happening for it. He was gratefull but still, felt awkward around these guards and other beasts so he decided to talk with his fellow fox.

"So you actually live here? Bl- er, Redwall abbey?" He caught himself from saying what the vermin tribe he came from called the place. "From the stories I've heard about the place I always thought the beasts here kind of...well," he made a quick glance to make sure no one was watching before running a claw against his own throat. "To us non woodlander types.

• ((No offense taken, I've just always seen dibbuns as about 10 or so and younger, they are the abbey_babes_ after all. That and I'm continuously being mistaken for several years younger than I really am, mostly because of my height.))

Serena reluctantly followed Bard into the kitchen, there were a lot of beasts up there, and they were mostly mean, she wasn't sure about Femble, but she was sure about Bill and Carter. The presence of Nova in the kitchens did not help the squirrels confidence at all. She stood directly behind Bard and tried not to think about it.

• (OOC: I understand. My twin sister's 17 like myself, but most people confuse her for 10 or 11.)

Bard rounded the corner into the kitchen, confident in his ability to persuade the guards not to levee a strict punishment against Serena. His confidence was shattered however, by the sighting of Nova, whom which he had a, well, frosty relationship with at best. Something about her always being around when I need to talk to those two about something important just drives me nuts Bard thought to himself. Seeing that he had been spotted by a couple of the now large company present in the (under the present circumstances and number of beasts in it) rather cramped kitchen, he acknowledged their looks with a simple wave, and, turning to Bill and Carter, said "I hope I'm not intruding on anything important, but I think we need to talk alone for a minute about what's going to happen to these two", and motioned towards the hallway. Turning to Nova, he said "If you want to come as well, I uh, well, wouldn't have any qualms about it."

(OOC: Bel, take what you want of whatever Bard has against Nova, I don't know where that came from or why exactly I wrote it, but it could be interesting if the ensuing conversation turns nasty. I dunno, no offense or anything, I just of wrote it because I thought Bard needed something to cement his awkwardness. It could be just one-sided, but just do whatever you want with it. (Wooh! That was a lot to write…))

Zach

• (Ooc actually Nova belongs to Bel ^^ who both have simular avatars. Which by the way, SQEEEEEEEEEEEEE! ARTIC FOX AND SEMI CORPREAL WOLF CANINE! MUST PET BECAUSE THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!!!!! 😧

Ok i got that out of my system, i feel better now. Also in this instance I am using Dibbun in the sense of what the guards view them as. Being in my lets just say early mid twenties people still call me kid, kido, and boy. And I often refure to youths 14-22 as kids because it is easier to say than young adult :3 and yes, for the record no matter how old you get people will still, always see you as a young kid even when you reach your 50's.

The only time they stop is because when you reach age 70 those that saw you grow up are no longer around. Hope that clears up any confusion)

Recent Topics

Users

Topics