Gerns!!! Another worldbuilding geek! I knew there was something familiar about the mechanical theory in your method of writing. I'm guessing you are familiar with Brandon Sanderson? If not, then you are missing out on the best books EVER.

Good luck with P vs. NP, Jared ;). I only have a passing familiarity with it, but I know that it's supposed to be impossible. Prove the world wrong, alright?

I'll keep mine brief. I'm a writer. I've written a few novels, but haven't published any just yet. I'm a salesman for Cutco (as of today). I learned HTML/css is five days. I spent 100 hrs in a single week, just learning Photoshop and reconciling it with other image manipulation software.
    I have a lot of other talents/hobbies/guilty pleasures, but I think that will suffice. 🙂

Welp… I suppose I'll do this as well. ^ ^

I'm actually a high school student. I'm a sophomore, and I suppose I'm just your average teenager. I love to write stories or draw animals but in a rather 'anime' like fashion. I also love to watch anime and read manga, but I also read normal books and prefer fantasy to sci-fi genres. My favorite movies are: The Cat Returns and Rise of the Guardians, my favorite anime of all time is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (my second is D. Gray-Man).  I also enjoy to listen to jpop, classical, rock, metal, dubstep (I love my wubs XD), techno, and anime songs, but I must say that I hate country. (No offense to anyone who likes the genre.) Some of my favorite songs are from anime, such as Again by YUI, Golden Time Lover by Sukima Switch, and Tsunaida Te by Lil'B. I'm currently unsure of what career I wish to pursue, but I'm thinking of being a police officer, detective or an author. All of these jobs are pretty interesting to me.

Sadly I'm not familiar with him, authors from the United States can be a little obscure here if they're not super famous. His thoughts on magic systems are quite interesting though. Perhaps I'll investigate his work.  😉

did someone say Brandon Sanderson? I LOVE BRANDON SANDERSON!!! His books are brilliance incarnate! I loved "Stormlight Archives: Way of Kings", I can't wait for "Words of Radiance" to come out. The Mistborn series was wonderful, I'm completely obsessed with  Allomancy and Mistings and Steel Inquisitors. Rashek is my total favorite Antagonist.

I could keep going but I think I should probably stop before I start foaming at the mouth or something. Just wanted to let you guys know, Brandon Sanderson is my favorite author.

I have only ever read way of kings… v-v Glances at signature Fantastic book though. I am eagerly awaiting Stormlight 2 because that cliff hanger was crazy. 😮

Honestly, I am slightly surprised how popular he is on here. Great author. Sadly, I do not have enough time of late to actually read.

Hey, I was just wondering, if you were to go to sleep, then wake up as your favorite character that you've made for Redwall in the middle of Mossflower, how would you react and what would you go and do first? (also which of your characters would you choose to be, derp  😛 )

@Dusk:

Hey, I was just wondering, if you were to go to sleep, then wake up as your favorite character that you've made for Redwall in the middle of Mossflower, how would you react and what would you go and do first? (also which of your characters would you choose to be, derp  😛 )

As much as I'd like to be my character Dallas, not just because of his size and strength, but because of his experiences. I'd most likely be like Oliver since he is a lot more similar to myself. He wrestles, I wrestle, he strength trains, I strength train, etc. If I woke up as Oliver, I'd first wonder why my hands (paws) were all wrapped up with bandages, then I'd see the dark brown fur and be like "Oh shi-"

I'm not gonna lie, I would run around freaking out at first. xD

Indeed. I'd probably be Dusk, cause he's a lot of what I'd like to be. I'd probably also freak out at first, wondering why I had paws, and why I seemed harrier then I normally am. But, once I notice the fact that i have a tail, I'd probably still be confused as all heck, but I'd be placated by the fact that i have a tail (I've always wanted a tail).

I would sip on some Butterbeer and ponder what I ate that was bad.

@Dusk:

My favourite and second favourite characters I've made for Redwall are already dead in their own canon stories. My third and fourth favourites exist in a kind of alternate Redwall universe, so I'm not sure they should count, and anyway, they're likely to die as well. So favourites just from this site would mainly be Worm, Racket and Raffi Fernleaf. Worm and Racket were only around for one thread though, and I've only made one post with Raffi.

I guess if we go by the logic of waking up as the character I would most likely end up as, it'd be Worm. I wouldn't suddenly know how to forage or fish or hunt birds just waking up in the forest as a weasel. My survival strategy would be finding someone more experienced to tag along with as soon as possible, which is exactly what Worm did.

It also would not be practical to go to Redwall and ask/beg to be let in. For one, if I woke up in the middle of Mossflower, I would have no idea where Redwall is. I'm not a tree-climber and neither is Worm, so I couldn't scout for it. The only landmark that might be helpful is Salamandastron, and as a weasel, I doubt I'd be let in there.

Another problem is that it would be difficult to explain to any potential friends or allies who I was or where I came from. I couldn't mention being from Earth or being human. And people would be very distrustful if I could not explain even a little bit what my backstory is. So I'd have to make up a backstory and stick to it consistently to not be caught out as a liar. This would be very difficult if a situation came up where I had to read or write something. Obviously I can read, write and do mathematics, but Worm should not be able to. I would have to either pretend to be illiterate, or make up a backstory that includes education that only Redwall or Salamandastron could provide. This would make things exceptionally difficult if I or any of my new friends in Mossflower found there was no record or memory of me at Redwall. I would also have to avoid ever showing any knowledge the sciences. If somebeast casually asked what I thought the stars were, I couldn't launch into an explanation of the workings of the universe, unless I wanted to get myself into a lot of trouble, one way or another.

Furthermore, it would be obvious from my ineptitude at surviving in the wild that I did not grow up as a typical Mossflower weasel might. There would be so many ways to slip up. Just saying 'please' or 'thank you' even once would be suspicious to any vermin if I was associating with them. It is also something of an art to lie convincingly, and I'd have to lie about where I came from to anybeast that asked.

To avoid these complications, it might be practical to be as solitary as possible and deliberately be obfuscating or mysterious. If I woke up as Racket, for instance, he is already mysterious about his past and doesn't talk about his backstory. So whilst ending up like Worm would probably be more realistic, I'd prefer to wake up as Racket. Sure I might be an oversized fox with no hygeine, but at least I'd be strong enough to fend for myself, and I would not need to make too many friends that would ask awkward questions. Plus, if I was unlucky enough to be enslaved by a warlord, they would not kill me outright, because I would be a useful soldier, and I wouldn't challenge the warlord's authority and get decapitated for my trouble.

Views