This goes off Seth's Idea.

Story Arc Contest.

We are in need of a new Story Arc to go in. So we will have a contest who will come up with the best Story Arc. (voting in the end)

You first have to make up your plotline, the situation that will be the backbone of the Story Arc. After you make up your situation, make a character that you will solely use for this Story Arc.

If you want to see an example of what I mean, look at Seth's Post:
http://www.redwallslegacy.com/forum/northlands/black-sapphire/

–--------------------------------------------
Once we vote on what our Story Arc will be, then we will have a post about it, and we can add what will happen, who the main character will be etc.

Everyone got it?

Right. This will end On February 29th. So you have a month to make up a plotline/situation and a character you will use, then put it to a vote.

I have few questions, if I may ask them here. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.  😉

1. Will we be allowed to give feedback on the story ideas before voting? If so, would it be neater to have a separate feedback thread?

2. Will we be allowed to make adjustments to the idea once it is posted, before the 29th? Or does posting earlier set that idea in stone, so to speak?

3. Does the idea have to relate to previous story arcs, or can it be something completely new?

4. Are there any limitations on setting in place or time, apart from the obvious that it must be set in the Redwall universe?

@Foweller:

I have few questions, if I may ask them here. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.  😉

1. Will we be allowed to give feedback on the story ideas before voting? If so, would it be neater to have a separate feedback thread?

2. Will we be allowed to make adjustments to the idea once it is posted, before the 29th? Or does posting earlier set that idea in stone, so to speak?

3. Does the idea have to relate to previous story arcs, or can it be something completely new?

4. Are there any limitations on setting in place or time, apart from the obvious that it must be set in the Redwall universe?

Don't worry,  Its ok to ask questions.

1: No, you make your story idea and once we decide on what story we want, then we do feedback, switch it, add stuff etc.

2.We can't make ajustments to the story arc until after the 29th.

3. You can make it relate to previous story arcs, or something totally new!!!

4. Nope, as long as it is in the Redwall world.

Hope this helps. 😄

I have a question! If the story arc is present time, and revolves around redwall, what should I do to be apart of it? My character, Brad, is the current Champion of Redwall Abbey and is the current owner of Martin's Sword. Would he be like a supporting character, or one of the main characters or something?

I'm just not sure of what to do if anything is happening near, at, or involves the Abbey, since my character is one of the main characters at Redwall. 😛

Well, you could make him a part of it. And once we did out which plotline is the best then we can decide if your character will be the main one (probably because he is Abby champion).

Just write out a loose outline of a plot and add him as the character you will use in the plot.

Hope his helps.

That was very helpful, thank you. Gives me some time to think about everything and to think of how to incorporate my character into the whole plot with my own outline or something. At least if I can come up with some basic things, it would get him in some kind of role into the whole thing. Thanks!

About the Abbey Warrior, it can fall either way; many Redwall stories involve a coming-of-age theme in which the Champion acts as a mentor.

Yeah, that's very true. Well either way, if things involve the Abbey, I'll have Brad help one way or another. Whether it's in battle, or if he just needs to be a mentor. I will be happy to participate in any way I can.

Well, like Seth said in the books, he could be a mentor and the mentee has to prove himself or does something heroic and your character Brad is extremely proud!

The only advice I can think of in regards to such would be: don't be afraid to have a PC die.  It doesn't even have to be a heroic death - sometimes to best ones for character development are rather quite 'meaningless'.

Also, don't be afraid to adjust the overall story if the changes are a) more fun, and b) fit better.

After Redwalls defeat Razzid Wearat with the help of the Long Patrol and Rouge Crew Sea Otters. Everything is getting back to normal and slowly Mossflower and Redwall and healing themselves. But they don't know that Razzid had a son (Terrat) who is planning on taking revenge and finishing what his father set out to do. Capture Redwall Abby and rule Mossflower.
–--little side line---

He does capture Redwall Abby and sets to rule it and keeps  the Redwallers enslaved. While the escapee's hatch up a plan to get back Redwall Abby and free the captives.

Nickname: Fabi (or Fabi the Silent)

Full Name: Fabiana Softheart

Species: Mouse

Description: Fabi is small for her age. Brown is her main color but her arms and legs are white that go slightly past the shoulders and knees. The inside of her arms and legs merge into her white underbelly that goes up her body a little bit around her neck and ends under her chin and around her nose. Has a white stripe going between her eyes stopping right on her forehead. Her nose is black with a black mouth that fades to gray then to white. Her ears are big and brown but fade into white. She has black wide eyes.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/horseswim/fabimousemaiddigital.jpg
Possessions: She wears a multi colored scarf

Strengths:
    - Good at reading and processing situations
    - sketching/writing
    - humming
    - Silent, can approach without sound
    - Acting/getting a point across (writing, acting, dragging someone)
    - Unusually strong
    - Knowledgeable (spends a lot in the library)

Weaknesses
    - Has a hard time talking/doesn't talk much
    - Usually a very shy
    - Has a fear of heights
    - Has a hard time sleeping
    - talking/making friends
    - fighting

Background
  She was born in Mossflower during the Razzid Wearat march to take over Redwall Abbey. Her family tired to flee but was caught in the process and killed. Only Fabi and her older brother made it. Both heavily injured and nearly dead. But by shear will, her brother and her made to to Redwall Abby where, a few days later, her brother died leaving Fabi an orphan with no family and no memories.

Fabi recovered at Redwall slowly but surely, but something had changed. She no longer sang, or spoke, but was silent. During the battle she kept herself away, just watching the events fold out around her. Rarely spoke to anyone. Growing up at Redwall, but after the traumatic events that happened and her injures, she didn't talk to anyone and is silent. Of course she had friends, but most times, she was by herself off somewhere most of the time in the library.

Her mind and think and process amazing, but she can't bring thought to speech. It is rare when you here her talk. Usually, you will find her in the library reading about everything, or wandering the grounds humming to herself or sketching.  Fabi everyday tries to make it the best, but about what happened in the past haunts her.

Why? Well, she has a special place in everyones heart. Uncovers the plot on the attack on Redwall and with her vast knowledge of battles and the history of Mossflower woods she helps win the battle, and maybe captures the heart of some warrior. And dies at the end.

@T.J.:

Well, like Seth said in the books, he could be a mentor and the mentee has to prove himself or does something heroic and your character Brad is extremely proud!

Yeah! I also like this idea, and might end up going with that! I figure the only times I would want Brad to to be in any battles during the story arc, would be if it happened right next to or directly at the Abbey. 😄

@Cheshire:

The only advice I can think of in regards to such would be: don't be afraid to have a PC die.  It doesn't even have to be a heroic death - sometimes to best ones for character development are rather quite 'meaningless'.

Also, don't be afraid to adjust the overall story if the changes are a) more fun, and b) fit better.

Yes and this is also true, this is great advice!

Plus I agree with the bolded; ideas could be put into play for the winner of the contest to make the story more fun!

Well, here goes nothing. Just a short idea, not as in depth yet as the others.

While exploring in the woods some dibbuns find an artifact or map or something that talks about an island city full of all sorts of wonders and treasures (Kinda like a Redwall version of Atlantis, but without the sinking, initially). Several beasts get the idea that they want to go out on the ocean and find the city, so they gather a crew, charter a ship, and head out for the watery sunset. They find the island after getting blown off course and gleefully leave the ship to explore the ancient city. They get split up and each individually finds these huge cracks all over the massive city, like the land itself was shattering. Only when they reach the other side of the island do they realize the city was built on a volcanic island. The entire royal palace at the center of the island is actually sunk into the ground and glowing red hot, slightly deformed like it’s made of clay as it slowly melts.

Just when they find out the island is madly unstable, a gang of pirates that followed the woodlander’s ship to the island try to bust through a collapsed passage deep in the catacombs of the island using newly invented explosives (very crude, nothing fancy). The explosion, as Murphy’s Law dictates, goes off right near the magma chamber, starting an eruption that begins to sink and tear apart the island. Not sure if I should go any further into details right now but what do you think so far?

For this arc I would use my characters Mizzero as one of the pirates, and probably develop a scholarly character to accompany the woodlanders.

Despite my writer's brain, I can't come up with anything. I like Pen's; it's better than anything I could have come up with off the top of my head. Sheesh, my writer's brain needs more work, or at least some reprogramming…..

Here's my scholarly character guys, hope you like her.

Full Name: Millie Birchpaw

Nick-name: Mills

Sex: female

Species: Squirrel

Alignment: Upside-down

Size: scrawny

Build: also scrawny

Job/Title: Scholar living at Salamandastron, specializing in astronomy

Physical Description: Millie is four feet ten inches tall, and weighs only a hundred pounds. She has light brown fur, with just a hair (haha, pun 🙂 ) of green in it. She claims it’s because her great, great grandfather was a toad, but it’s more than likely just a genetic malfunction of sorts. There is one disorder she has that there’s no doubt about. Millie can’t get hungry. Literally, cannot feel the sensation that tells the brain that the body needs nutrients. She’s so small and scrawny because she’s nearly starved to death on multiple occasions. Luckily she has a constant companion to help her remember to eat, a mole by the name of Pook. Millie normally wears a small habit that actually looks quite baggy on her, and loves to keep the hood up. Her face is rarely hidden though, just framed by the hood. The fringes of her habit are dyed blue and she wears a sash across her stomach as a belt.

Possessions: Millie usually carries around a random star chart in her sash, usually one that is of no use in the current situation, such as a chart of the night sky in Mossflower while she’s traveling in Southsward. She also has a quill tucked behind her ear at all times and not much else really that she herself carries. The rest of her astronomical supplies are carried by her assistant Pook, practically a mobile laboratory. He carries instruments, spare parchment, ink, and food practically everywhere. Needless to say, Pook is an amazingly strong little mole.

Personality: Millie is very hyperactive and happy almost all the time, despite her disorder. You’ll usually catch her giggling or smiling at something small like a butterfly or a stained glass window, and she enjoys making friends, though she shows affection in strange ways. Pook on the other hand speaks only with Millie, and minimally even then.

Strengths:
-Mathematician (Intelligence)
-Friendly (Raises Morale)
-Can read the stars, as well as any star chart ever drawn (Navigation)
-Can draw a star chart (Also Navigation)

Weaknesses:
-Will starve if left alone for too long (Needy)
-Cannot handle war or battles (Sheltered)
-Airhead (Airhead)
-Very, very physically weak (Scrawny)

Background: Millie was born in Mossflower, but her parents abandoned her for a reason that no one has ever discovered. It could have been because of her eating disorder, or they could have thought she wouldn’t survive because she was, apparently, born too early, they could have been murdered, or perhaps they were just terrible people. No matter why it happened, it happened, and Millie was left to die in a hollow stump. Some higher power somewhere must have been moved by the squirrel-babe’s plight however, because the stump ended up being smack in the middle of a long patrol scouting route.

The hares that found Millie were still young themselves, on their first actually “long” patrol. They’d gone scouting around Salamandastron plenty of times, but this was the first time they’d been on their own for more than a week. They were on their way back from visiting Redwall, dropping off reports on affairs up and down the Western coast, and were all tired and grumpy when they discovered Millie crying sorrowfully in the stump. One would have expected them to panic. One would have expected them to feel overwhelmed. One would have expected them to break under the stress of their own consciences telling them to save the child while logic told them they couldn’t. One would be right too, on all counts, but the young hares did the Long Patrol proud and took care of baby Millie anyway.

Once they calmed down after having a good, hard mental breakdown (At least two of them tying their ears in knots) They took Millie and redoubled their speed, sprinting almost the whole way to Salamandastron, which was closer than Redwall. Millie was very weak when they found her, and looked profoundly confused. Luckily, one of the hares realized Millie hadn’t eaten in hours but wasn’t complaining. She realized that must have been why Millie was so weak, so she had the idea to play a game with Millie as they ran, both of them sucking on rags soaked in soup to see who could get theirs soup free first. That silly, messy game might very well have saved Millie’s life.

After reaching the badger mountain Millie was rushed to the infirmary where she was examined and cared for. The patrol that found her was reprimanded for abandoning their duties without any thought as to the greater good, then publicly cheered and rewarded for their heroic act. In fine, young hare fashion though, they never did show up for their reward. Instead, they spent the next few weeks in the infirmary, watching over little Millie as she slowly grew stronger, learning to eat and gaining some of the weight she was missing.

Several weeks after Millie was brought into the mountain to be cared for, during which time she was given her name, the patrol that found her had to go out on patrol again, reluctantly, leaving her in the care of others. Millie did not like that at all. She cried for days on end, wailing every time she opened her mouth, and it was starting to keep her from eating, so it was a real problem. Everyone tried everything they could think of to calm her down, but she refused to be placated. Eventually the badger lord himself was called to help. And so, the badger lord at the time left the forge, put up his hammer, hitched up his trousers, and went to save the day.

He failed miserably.

Nothing worked, and then, to top everything off, Millie disappeared while everyone was trying to think of a way to calm her. Finding her should have been easy; just follow the screams; but they couldn’t hear her anymore. Everyone was afraid she had exhausted herself with her crying and was now lying somewhere, slowly starving without realizing it. They searched the rooms, the halls, the tunnels, the forge, even outside, but they never heard a peep of her. When they finally did find her, she wasn’t crying, explaining why they hadn’t found her earlier, but was instead making soft cooing noises and grinning from ear to ear.

She was sitting at a tiny table in the nursery, straight across from a tiny mole baby who just stared at her blankly, lethargically eating some squashed pear, as she giggled and cooed ceaselessly. The hares that found them stared in amazement for a few minutes, relieved beyond words to find Millie okay, then, nonchalantly and without warning, the baby mole took some of his squashed pear and stuffed it in Millie’s mouth, stopping the flow of chatter. By that time all the beasts that had been searching had gathered in the nursery and at this sight they all gasped. Millie herself was surprised to find her mouth full of food all of the sudden. She and the mole babe stared at each other for a while, Millie’s cheeks still full, then she swallowed, licked her lips, opened her mouth wide, and let out a heart melting “awwwwwww…” The little mole continued to feed her but no one noticed because they were all too busy laughing their tails off.

Flash forward five years and we find Millie and Pook best friends. By this age Millie understood that she had a disorder and could take care of herself relatively well, eating on a schedule of morning, noon, and evening rather than when she got hungry like most. Pook was always by her side and still fed her at times when she forgot. She had grown up with the mountain hares as her family, but she was sad because she didn’t want to become a warrior like them. She tried helping in the kitchens, but she couldn’t cook. She tried farming and made an entire acre of land totally desolate. She attempted to weave a blanket and tied herself and Pook to a ceiling beam. Among other things she tried blacksmithing, woodworking, playing music, carving stone, brewing, alchemy, trading, writing, and even blowing glass but she wasn’t any good at any of them.

Every day she would try something new, but at the end of the day, when she was inevitably asked to try something else, she would go up to the top of the mountain and sit despondently for several hours, staring at the sky. She became quite fond of watching the sunset and stars during those days, and more than one time the badger lord would join her for a few minutes, agreeing with her that sitting and staring at the stars was quite relaxing after a long, stressful day.

One night, as they were sitting, the badger lord started pointing out constellations to Millie and Pook. Millie just smiled and nodded at the badger lord, the kind of smile and nod an adult does when a child is telling them something they think is amazing, but is really quite obvious. The badger lord caught the squirrel maid’s condescending smile and chuckled at her. He suggested that she tell him something then, if she was so smart, and Millie took the challenge quite seriously. Cracking her tiny knuckles, Millie began to reveal all the things she had seen on her many nights of stargazing.

She traced the route of a comet she had seen a few weeks earlier, judged how moist the air was by how much the stars twinkled, determined what phase the moon was in despite it not being out that night, pointed out the North Star, and invented three new constellations. She would have kept going too if the badger lord hadn’t exclaimed, “and you say you can’t do anything?” Millie was confused, so the badger lord took her back down into the mountain, to a part of it she’d never been before; the library. Here, the badger lord showed her all the mountain’s books on astronomy, as well as some old, dusty, and dented navigating instruments. Millie was skeptical at first, until the badger lord told her how ships navigated using stars. Hearing this, Millie was ecstatic. Grabbing several books and handing Pook an astrolabe she ran off to her room, screaming that she was going to be a sailor.

Today, neither Millie nor Pook are sailors. They are both quite respected as beasts of learning though; Millie as an astronomer and Pook as an archaeologist. The two of them still live in Salamandastron, in rooms just off the library proper, but travel frequently. True to the badger lord’s words, sailors often gave Millie and Pook transport in exchange for charts of the stars in areas their ships frequented. Being so remarkable at her chosen profession, Millie’s charts are highly prized for their accuracy and clarity. Sailors say her charts have saved many vessels from going astray from their coarse, especially ships going far out to sea.

Hey Pen, when does the voting begin\end?

The vote begins on February 29th. You have nine days and nights to add your idea, before the doors of this contest are sealed forever. Doesn't that sound… dramatic?

Absolutely! (false enthusiasm)  need more time mutters. Ok thanks.

Being a half-important/half-unimportant character and RPer on this site, what should my character(s) do in the Story Arc that gets selected, considering that we do get one selected?

@Jared:

Being a half-important/half-unimportant character and RPer on this site, what should my character(s) do in the Story Arc that gets selected, considering that we do get one selected?

Let me correct that, we will get a new Story Arc Selected. 😄

WEll, depending on which story arc we choose, then we decied what your characters will do on this site, and also we can change the story arc that we all vote on, to make it easier on your characters and how they play a role

Views