The Great Advisor of Salamandastron ((Open))

OOC: This threads time-line about 18 seasons (years) ago from current time for everyone else. Cecil isn't 49 in this post, he's 31

Oh what a cold winter day! Low activity and keeping warm were a top priority in the quiet mountain. The harsh winter breeze battered against the unyielding fortress that is Salamandastron.

Cecil was out and about, doing his usual errands; helping the younger and older beasts alike with their problems. The now full adult mousethief still looked sturdy and strong as ever, besides the fact he was dying within. He never let his disease slow him down, he fought against it. As a matter of fact, Cecil was in extreme pain on the inside, but he did not want any of his creatures knowing how soon he would really perish.

A beast with one arm, tough as nails, but gentle and kind; a wise and sharp mind one would say. His joints were starting to feel more and more sore as he grew older, still young, but well into adulthood now.

Cecil was a busy beast, always training and trying to keep his body in shape, always giving advice and guiding others through their problems. He held his own clinics, training certain long patrol soldiers in the art of stealth. He officially retired as mouse thief and warrior the previous season.

Cecil had a vast knowledge with the experiences in his life, combat or otherwise, which led him to sharing it with others. If it wasn't for this disease that plagued him, he would be battling along side his brethren.

Cough… cough! The sturdy mouse opened his only paw, blood stained. "Drat this disease.. I will conquer you!" Cecil took out a cloth and rubbed his paw on it then used it to wipe the blood on his lips. He continued to walk about, breathing out hot air into the cold breeze. "Today is such a dead day, I did all my busy work for the day. I just need something else to do!"

He sat on the stone steps, looking out to the beach. Many flashbacks coursed through his eyes. The simple mouse sighed heavily and returned his gaze to the beach.

OOC: I suppose I could throw Belarus into this one since he was supposed to be with the Long Patrol in his earlier seasons? Is that ok with you?

OOC: suure I would be happy if you did. ^^

OOC: I just checked out your character, he's pretty cool, I like how hes grumpy :3 since hes 11 years older than cecil, I too can bump cecil's age down for this.  I'll just make some changes in the first post.. That cool? Cecil went to salamandastron when he was 23 after the battle him and his team had with some big time vermin which led to his accident (losing his arm) and after he contracted his disease..

He was bed ridden for most of the year he went there, but he's been adviser for 4 years at this point, he'd be 27 if I made it so.

How old was your character exactly when he was in the long patrol?

OOC: Belarus is approximately 42 in this in order to match his time at Salamandastron.

‘Chink chink chink’ sword striking against a whetstone rang out as a middle aged white fox sat sharpening one of his two long swords. The vermin creature sat mumbling lightly tom himself occasionally changing a few words to match the accent of the hares. Belarus listened as the mouse on the steps coughed outside causing him to put down his sword and stone and open the doors slightly. He felt the cool breeze rush over his face and closed his eyes momentarily before looking down at Cecil “You alright chap, not very good for you to be sitting outside in the cold when your hurting like that.”
Belarus stepped out of the doors and closed them before walking down towards where the mouse was sitting forgetting about his sword.

Braid was strolling along the water's edge in front of Salamandastron, a broken conch shell held to his ear.  He scrunched his eyebrows together as he tried to distinguish the echos inside the shell from the booming of the surf and the spume which continually lashed the beach.

Tiring of the shell, the sea otter tossed it as far as he could into the boiling waves and trailed inland towards the mountain.  Shielding his eyes from the wind whipped sand, he gazed up the side of the mountain and caught sight of the mouse sitting on the stone staircase which led up to the heavily fortified gate around a sixth of the way up the mountain.

Jumping up and down, he waved and hailed the creatures cheerily.  "AHOY UP THERE, MATES!  WINTER GREETINGS TO YE!"

He grinned and made a throwing motion with his paws.  "HEAVE DOWN A ROPE FOR ME, WOULDJA?"  What fun was it to go straight up the flight of steps when one could scale the sheer side of the staircase and arrive right at the gate, to the surprise of the guards in the blockhouse just inside the portcullis?  As an afterthought, the otter place a paw to his lips and gave the two creatures an exaggerated wink.  Quiet now, mateys…

Cecil broke from his trance like state and looked back seeing the fox come down the steps. "Haha! I never felt better old friend. It's quite relaxing out here. Lackaday; the weather could die down a little bit. I just wish there were things to do. I completely all my tasks for the day." He looked back at Belarus again and smiled warmly to him.

"Oh Belarus, do you hear that?" He took his gaze away from the middle aged fox and looked down a ways to the creature that was waving and cheering.

"AHOY UP THERE, MATE!  WINTER GREETINGS TO YE!"

Cecil slowly stood back up and stood next to his comrade from the mountain. He remembered his sharp thieves dagger that safely stayed inside of his pouch, putting his only paw on the spot where it was. "Don't think I trust a stray creature." He calmly stated to the older fox.

"HEAVE DOWN A ROPE FOR ME, WOULDJA?"

Cecil stared with great intent at the Sea Otter. "Suppose we let him up? What do you think?" He was a Sea Otter after all, most of them were good beasts, strong creatures with a great sailors tongue. Nonetheless they were good at heart.

Belarus glanced at Cecil questioningly “Die down, how about heat up? Make me think it’s storming out here or something.”
Belarus looked to the sea otter and listened to his words before  mummbling to himself “A rope?”

"Suppose we let him up? What do you think?"

The old fox got a slight grin on his face and gave an amused exhale “Heh, I don’t see why not he is an otter after all. Of course I’m not so sure about the rope, should I get one?”

Braid gazed quizzically up at the fox and the mouse as they conversed.  Ahh, blow it.  It's too cold outside to play squirrel…  Cupping his paws around his mouth again, he hollered up through the winter wind.

"NEVER MIND, MATES!"

The sea otter laughed to himself and ran around to the front of the staircase and made his way up to where the two creatures stood.  Grinning widely, he gestured at the mountain gates.  "No need for rope now, cullies…  I decided I was too cold to climb up any mountain sides.  Let's go inside where it's warm, and yew two can tell me your names."

He scratched the back of his head and looked from the one-armed mouse to the white fox.  "I'm Braid Kemphelm.  I don't think I've ever see either of ye before...  Not that I come to the mountain much."

"Stormin' enough for me, matey" Cecil said with a friendly chuckle. He stared down and watched as the Sea Otter made his way up the steps to them "Well Belarus, guess we don't need a rope after all."

Cecil patted the Otter's shoulder as a friendly gesture with his only paw. "Well, welcome to the great mountain, lad. Braid you say? That's definitely a peculiar name." The middle aged mouse said, giving a hard cough into his paw again like before. "I am Cecil Deepglaive, ex-mouse thief, ex-warrior, and new adviser to this fortress."

He smiled as he looked over to his friend, the white fox. "This here is my friend Belarus, hes a handful of seasons older than I, but strong and young as ever. Go ahead Belarus, introduce yourself."

Belarus grinned sheepishly trying not to show his fangs “Hah err, I’m probably not what you’d be expecting workin ‘round a mountain full of hares but hey what do you expect from a beast that comes from Redwall. Hah now that’s a place of fish… err food. I’ve tried a bit of gardening but thus far I think I’m still better with a blade.”
The old fox stared off into nothing for a brief moment before returning his eyes to Braid “Not to say I’ve ever used any weapons or tool to kill a good beast. I suppose your wanting to fill the ol’ bottomless pit wot wot?”
Belarus said the last sentence with a wink as he tried to mock the accents of the Long Patrol hares.

The sea otter laughed and bumped the mouse chummily on the shoulder.  "Tis a peculiar name, ain't it though?  Harr harr, twas given to me by peculiar parents.  Tis a pleasure to meetcha, matey."

He turned to the fox and grinned happily.  "Ey there, my good foxy.  As long as you're friendly, you're a mate of mine…  Though I bet the hares were absolutely scuppered to have a fox join their ranks...  Potty blokes they can be."

"I suppose your wanting to fill the ol’ bottomless pit wot wot?”

As Belarus spoke, the otter's stomach growled loudly.  "That would be great, matey!  I think the ol' bottomless pit is begging to be filled…  Let's go ambush the galley, eh?"

"Say, Cecil...  You say that you are an ex mousethief.  What happened?  Get caught too many times?  Y'know that we sea otters are kinda fond of thieves…  Kinda handy to have about the place, eh, ya know?"

He gave an exaggerated salute to two lounging hares as he and his new friends strode through the gates and past the guardhouse.  "At your ease, you blokes.  ...Wot wot...  Harr harr harr!"

Cecil chuckled at what Belarus asked and then smiled at Braid. "Food would be lovely right about now, come lets get out of the cold." Cecil led the two into the gates of Salamandastron.

_"Say, Cecil…  You say that you are an ex mousethief.  What happened?  Get caught too many times?  Y'know that we sea otters are kinda fond of thieves...  Kinda handy to have about the place, eh, ya know?" _

"Well.. I only been caught once, so it's not that.." Cecil made his armless shoulder move a bit to show the beast one reason why he stopped. "And one time was all I needed for this to happen." Cecil chuckled and continued on. "But that isn't the reason why I really stopped thieving and fighting. You see, the after effect of losing a limb caused me to get some kind of non contagious, but very painful disease." Cecil coughed into his one paw.

"I'm not expected to live too long matey, the healers did all they could, but they can't figure out how to stop it. They can only slow it down and reduce the pain it causes my innards and my poor joints." Cecil stayed optimistic and never lost faith, though, he kept his composure at all times. Can't be a good adviser if you break down from the troubles in life.

"I'm still as quick and strong as ever, but I tire out too easily now a days, even with the rigorous training I put myself and other beasts through to stay healthy and in tip top fighting form. I cough blood at times too, probably from the darn thing wasting my insides away." Cecil kept ahead of the two.

"Well Belarus, lead us onto the kitchens my friend."

"I'm not expected to live too long matey, the healers did all they could, but they can't figure out how to stop it. They can only slow it down and reduce the pain it causes my innards and my poor joints."

Belarus blinked in silence as he listened to Cecil keeping a blank expression as he continued to speak.

_"I'm still as quick and strong as ever, but I tire out too easily now a days, even with the rigorous training I put myself and other beasts through to stay healthy and in tip top fighting form. I cough blood at times too, probably from the darn thing wasting my insides away."

"Well Belarus, lead us onto the kitchens my friend."_

The white fox halted momentarily and picked his long sword and its scabbard first sheathing the long sword before running the scabbard belt over the left side of his neck and under his right arm. He kept silent for a moment longer as he started to walk again still thinking on the mouse’s words before he nodded to the two beasts “Alright chap, its up a little bit from here.”
Belarus shivered slightly as he headed in the direction of the kitchens, losing a beast in battle was one thing but losing one to natural means was completely different, it couldn’t be prevented or stopped something that worried and irritated the middle aged fox.

OOC: Hope this post is ok and err where are the mountain kitchens exactly?

"I'm not expected to live too long matey, the healers did all they could, but they can't figure out how to stop it. They can only slow it down and reduce the pain it causes my innards and my poor joints."

Braid halfway hung his head, sobered by the realization that inside, Cecil was a dying beast.

"Gosh mate…  I'm sorry.  If there's ever anything you need a paw with, be sure to let me know..."  Braid…  Yew bloody stupid seadog, he's not asking for your pity.  He wants mates to do things with, not to sit around with and get him down by mourning for him...

Nodding to himself, the otter sniffed the air and trotted behind the fox and the mouse.  "Say, I think that we're getting near the galley, mateys…  I can smell somethin' cooking...  And it better not be landlubber porridge!"

He chuckled and grasped the mouse chummily by his good shoulder.  "Cully, do you reckon that these hares would give us a few flasks of strong spirits?  I don't trust mountain healers all that much."  He turned and winked at the fox before addressing the mouse.

"I'll keelhaul myself if pickling your innards with something extra stiff won't double your expected lifespan, Cecil...  Besides, I could use a nip myself..."

“Alright chap, its up a little bit from here.”
Cecil smiled and continued with the two. "Good good! We'll be feasting before we know it." The middle aged mouse looked back to Braid after telling his story. He could feel the concern coming from both of his comrades. "Belarus, you are a good friend, we can accomplish so much here if we keep these young hares in top form. I can see in your body language that you are thinking. What will make me happy is seeing all you other beasts in good spirits; that's all that matters to me. You all are my family."

"Gosh mate…  I'm sorry.  If there's ever anything you need a paw with, be sure to let me know..."

Cecil closed his eyes and smiled, "Now, don't worry about me, lad. It won't stop me from doing what I love to do; help other beasts with their problems. Mine aren't going to keep this great mountain in tip top shape, it's in my best interest to make others that live here realize they have bigger things to worry about, but also be stress free about things going on in their lives. We all need to live to the fullest. You never know when an evil beast might come to try and steal this fortress like many others have tried."

Cecil chuckled from Braids next gesture and question. "Braid, it would be great if we turned this meal into a great feast. You are talking to a beast who lives on the mountain. Of course we will drink!" Cecil patted Braid's back heartily and with good mood.

"Belarus, you up for a little bit of drinking with our meals?"

Belarus looked right over his shoulder as he came up on a set of doors, not wanting to ruin the mouse’s mood he was virtually lost for any good words “Indeed, I'm honored to be a part of it.”
The white fox stopped still and turned his head back towards the door which he had stopped just a whiskers length away from his snout from. He opened the door and walked into the kitchens before turning to answer Cecil’s last question. Belarus gave a broad smile and it only took the work of a second for him to realize he was showing his fangs. He slapped a claw over his snout and chuckled lightly “Heh sorry about that. Nearly scared the leverets out of their fur last time they saw me fangs. Sure a few drinks sounds excellent, particularly with the weather outside.”
Belarus chuckled a little more as he lowered his claw showing a slight grin.

"Now, don't worry about me, lad. It won't stop me from doing what I love to do; help other beasts with their problems. Mine aren't going to keep this great mountain in tip top shape, it's in my best interest to make others that live here realize they have bigger things to worry about, but also be stress free about things going on in their lives. We all need to live to the fullest. You never know when an evil beast might come to try and steal this fortress like many others have tried."

The sea otter nodded sagely, impressed by the older mouse's logic.  "That's a good point, mate.  I guess I wasn't really thinking about things that way…"

"Braid, it would be great if we turned this meal into a great feast. You are talking to a beast who lives on the mountain. Of course we will drink!"

Braid rubbed his paws together and chortled happily.  "Hehehehehehe…  It's been all to long since I've had a feast, Cecil, and at least a fortnight since I've had a decent full meal... This'll be a lark!"

He came to a halt inside the entry to the kitchen, an idea forming in his head.

"Say, as long as we're having a feast, why not hold it out on the beach?  Of course there's a stiff gale out there at the moment, but if I'm not mistaken, it'll mostly haul off by sundown tonight."

Grinning at his friends, he trotted over to a window which overlooked the beach and gestured grandly.

"A feast ain't a feast if'n it ain't held around a roaring drifwood bonfire..!  Nothing like stuffing yourself to the gills with hot food when it's cold outside, with the winter wind at your back and your fur being toasted by the flames..."

“Indeed, I'm honored to be a part of it.”

Cecil smiled as Belarus turned back, "Glad to hear it."

He grinned slyly at the fox when he saw his fangs appear. "I can see why, with fearsome teeth like those, you could scare the dickens out of most. We'll drink and eat til our hearts and bellies content.

"That's a good point, mate.  I guess I wasn't really thinking about things that way…"

"Hey, when you look death in the eyes from the sight of a sword swinging down upon you, you'll realize life is a precious thing. Good thing I only lost an arm out of it instead of my head!" Cecil said, chuckling with deep tone.

Cecil looked inside of the doors following Belarus inside. "Alright you lot! Tonight we are havin' a grand feast!" The two score hare that were hovering around the kitchens for dinner started to cheer happily at the thought of it. A grand feast at Salamandastron, something that doesn't get to happen often.

"Hehehehehehe…  It's been all to long since I've had a feast, Cecil, and at least a fortnight since I've had a decent full meal... This'll be a lark!"

Cecil smiled, putting his only arm behind his back, eyes closed. "Well mate, you better loosen up a belt notch or two, things could get ugly for your stomach." He opened his eyes back up and winked at his new friend.
"Say, as long as we're having a feast, why not hold it out on the beach?  Of course there's a stiff gale out there at the moment, but if I'm not mistaken, it'll mostly haul off by sundown tonight."

"Hmm, I'm all for it, but its up to every other beast here, I don't know if they are up for some chilly weather and a little snow." He said chuckling.

**"A feast ain't a feast if'n it ain't held around a roaring drifwood bonfire..!  Nothing like stuffing yourself to the gills with hot food when it's cold outside, with the winter wind at your back and your fur being toasted by the flames…" **

Cecil was happy to hear the enthusiasm in this younger beasts voice, his tone was so genuine. "Well, I guess that settles it. We'll get drunk, sing sea songs, and eat like a gluttonous beast by the fire!"

Belarus shrugged optimistically “Wherever and whenever you think is best is fine by me, I’m supposed to be cold… Hmmm, of course the weather’ll keep the ale chilled nicely eh?”
Belarus gave a closed mouth smile “Of course now the question is where’s the lord of the mountain eh, don’t want to leave him out of this do we?”
The old fox reached into a basket on one of the tables and tossed a pear into the air and stuck in the air with the tip of one of his claw toes “Heh, another trait that can come in handy, except when give a tight paw shake.”
He flicked the pear towards Braid “Might as well have a light snack until sundown eh?”
Belarus picked up the basket and brought over to Cecil and Braid.

Views