Please read the whole post. It is important.

There are a great many things I want to tell all of you. No, I don't want the site to die and with a little help it can still flourish. Thank you fate for setting my tail on fire (as you put it). Thank you also for intervening and doing what you could here.
    As a result of your conversations, I'm going to introduce some new rules, change some topics, ask a few questions and switch positions around a bit.

First: Okay, first and foremost I'm still here, if not as actively as I should be.

Second: These are some new rules to prevent these problems from occurring again:

Passing the Sword- This is when one member is fully aware that they will be unable to post actively for a long time. Instead of getting buried with armor and sword, they will be buried with their armor, but we want you to pass on your charas and such to someone on the site that you trust. We can call this your successor. Being a successor does not mean you are an underling. It means quite the opposite. Somebody trusts you to handle their account while they are gone and you should feel privileged to do so.
    Please only ask 1 person to be your successor and do not ask someone to be your successor if you are theirs. That won't end prettily if you both vanish. You don't have to do this, but I would ask that you please do.

New/Old Charas- What happens with this depends on what is decided in this topic. This is your site. I'm just here to regulate things. What I suggest is that if someone is inactive for a week, their successor takes over their chara until such a time as they can get back. If you do not have one, the chara(s) will be handed to the local Mod for whatever time deemed necessary. Remember, that is only a suggestion.
    Another suggestion is that the member joining the thread tells the group that after whatever time he decides, the chara will be given up until he comes back.

Inactive Members- Members who have not been active in the past three months will have posted by their name, in parenthesis, "Inactive." When and if they come back on, they can change it themselves.

Thread activity- Alright, so there are the occasional members who get passionate and want to post lots. Well, remember that posting comes with responsibility. It was suggested to me that members should only post in about two threads per day/per week that they are active. IE if you are active three days a week, post in six threads if you think you are able.

Characters- Profiles are encouraged, but not required for every character. If it is a character that you will use in multiple threads, please do create a profile. Approval of the profile is not required. If you are like me (I create a new character for every thread) then be sure to introduce their personality solidly as they come into the story.

Puncuation/Grammar/Mass Posting- This is not strictly a rule, but sometimes it is hard for people to read a post that "iz tiped lik ths". LOL. Get the idea? Please also use the "OOC-" and "BCC-" as standard marks so that people know for sure what you're saying. We've had occasional problems with that.
    Also, type the post like you mean it. Dont mass-post. Write your best quality work.

Third: Site alterations:

Dead Topics- Fate has decided to accept the Abbey Recorder position because I am not as active as I need to be for this position. Any Topic that has not been touched in the past month will be archived. This period may be altered depending on how long you decide on. Again, this is your site.

Excess boards- Boards that are not being used may be removed if the members feel they are not necesary. Also, some boards may be condensed.

Moderators- It has reached a point where we will need Mods to cover the extent of the entire site. Every board has to be moderated by someone who would like to do it and would be active in doing so.

**Positions- Personally, I don't think that we can go any longer without an Abbey Champion and an Abbot/Abbess. However you feel we should do this, make the suggestion. We need it. We can do it by polls (election) and each nominee makes a post about why they think that they should be Abbot or Champion.

I have not finished typing this post, please tell me what you think, what should be added, removed or changed. I will finish this later.**

Seth, many times people create a disposable chara within a post to keep it moving. Generally, within such posts the descriptions for these charas are adequate for the job. Requiring a profile for these disposable charas will severely clog up the profiles area. May I suggest a slight change above? Rather than zero tolerance for unprofiled charas, if the chara is unprofiled, it will automatically be considered disposable should the poster disappear for a time. Also, the chara is limited to just that thread until a profile is posted.
After all, we do need these charas, they just need to be kept in hand.

Forum members,
There has been a lot of chatting within the Role Playing forum area. While Out Of Character discussion is sometimes necessary, it should be kept to a minimum. Extended chats have been a major cause of death among great threads within our forum.
An excellent alternative to many of the chats I have seen would include Messaging a member. (Done by clicking on the speech bubble below their name. You can also Message a member by looking them up in the member directory.) For comments that must be done within thread, if you are already a member of that thread, you should be sure to include a role playing portion to your post along with your chat. In any case, once chats are no longer needed, they should be cleaned up by the person who made them. Yes, moderators can do this, but there are too many threads to track effectively.
Thanks!

@Fate:

Seth, many times people create a disposable chara within a post to keep it moving. Generally, within such posts the descriptions for these charas are adequate for the job. Requiring a profile for these disposable charas will severely clog up the profiles area. May I suggest a slight change above? Rather than zero tolerance for unprofiled charas, if the chara is unprofiled, it will automatically be considered disposable should the poster disappear for a time. Also, the chara is limited to just that thread until a profile is posted.
After all, we do need these charas, they just need to be kept in hand.

I'm much happier with this…. Sometimes I don't even know myself how significant a chara will be when I make them, nor have I decided much about them. Character development is ongoing.

I would be lucky to remember half the rules you posted. I have the memory of an old man.

Its common sense basically.

If you think it is not appropriate, then don't post it.

@Tessa/Jessie:

Its common sense basically.

If you think it is not appropriate, then don't post it.

Only one problem…what's appropriate and what's not?

I know the basics, but trying to figure out the little details that make a post appropriate or not is like trying to find a particular sentence in the US Tax Code.

Not the easiest of tasks.

Just remember it this way. Don't criticize, don't do something unreasonable in an RP, and don't talk about something for a mature audience. Also, try for a longer post and use proper grammar and spelling. If you have a problem with the later, then use Mozilla Firefox.

Views